Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

So the only step left to play CIAs this way is to patch signature checks? It doesn't sound that difficult. We could for example use NTRs cfw and add those patches. Or am I wrong?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

i wont even pretend to know the level of difficulty in figuring out what needs patching and how to do so, if someone really wanted to try make a cfw with rom loading capabilities but lacked the knowledge in doing the whole thing, Rxtools & karl3ds would be the 2 main targets as they both have emunand capabilities already set up, where as NTR is a more developer friendly environment, and not totally geared towards end users

SLiV3R likes this.
  3. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

NTR is ARM11, totally different thing from FIRM patches (ARM9).

4. Penny Morecash

OP Penny Morecash Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I don't understand why nobody has added ARM9 patches before?!

5. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

United States

I'm sure they have. I mean a lot of the videos showing the existing "no-piracy" CFW shows pirated content on the device. Clearly they've patched it for themselves but don't want to release it for whatever reason. Something called morals or ethics or some nonsense....

6. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

But you could get the same thing from both GW and MT.

7. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

I thought that was what everyone was telling me here... I can simply install .CIA files on my O3DS and N3DS and they would work without me doing any of this.

8. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

United States

That's not true. You can install legit/clean CIA's and you don't need to do any of this. There is a bootstrap problem in that you need a Gateway or CFW to even get the .CIA installed but once it's installed it'll just work without any exploits.

Non-legit CIA's that aren't signed for your console require a CFW with signature checks patched out in order to run. Gateway patches the signature checks in Gateway Mode so you can run them in SysNAND or emuNAND. So what everyone has been trying to convince you to do is to "simply" make a CFW that has patched the signature checks and then everyone can install non-legit CIA and the world will be a better place. Puppies and unicorns will magically appear and all that jazz. I mean if you are already patching the signature checks for this, you may as well make it work for everything. Then, nobody will even need to buy a Sky3DS and deal with the nonsense templates, diskwriter, lost saves, etc.

9. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

But the sky3ds has turned out to be a very good alternative to carts like Zelda OoT and CN. But I agree that lost saves are a little bit tiring :)

10. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

I've never lost a save yet... I might need lessons on how to lose them :lol:

11. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

United States

Sky3DS is a good option. I had one before I went with the gateway. The things I didn't like about it were diskwriter, the 31 game limit, diskwriter, the time it takes to switch games, diskwriter, lost saves by ejecting the card before switching games, diskwriter, no eshop games, and diskwriter. Oh, and let's not forget diskwriter! It's certainly the best/only option for >9.2. It's also been awesome for even getting my GW working before they released the CN version. I have a CN cart so the point is moot for me now.

But it would be nice to not require any additional hardware, especially an expensive Sky3DS or Gateway. You can still find CN at gamestop for $20 preowned. I had no problems getting mine.

12. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

United States

It's easy.. basically you just play a game and eject the cart. Your progress since the last SD save is gone.

This happened to me with Luigi's Mansion. I had cleared a bunch of levels and then wanted to add a game to my card. I ejected it and when I went to play it again it was back to the old save.

You have to hit the button after you close the game to dump the save from the EEPROM to the SD Card so it's saved.

13. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

I'm so glad I followed the guidelines on how to use it!:lol:

Zidapi likes this.
  14. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

I'm a little shocked that no body has already done this already!
    I don't understand what is holding anyone up, the N3DS ARM9 values were made public from the KARL people after I explained exactly where they could have got them.
    (Still does amaze me that they stuck a copyright notice on their code even though it's clearly disassembled from GW!)

Is it the ARM9 reboot or the SIG patching that's holding people up?

15. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Pfft reading the manual is for noobs, hardcore gamers go in blind and figure shit out as it comes along :yaynds:

The OOT exploit isn't very well documented? So yellow8's source doesn't provide sufficient documentation?

You've looked over yellow8's source for the OOT entry point I assume?

Gateway said they'd look at porting their OOT exploit to the old3DS if there was enough demand. So you could work on new3DS support now, and old3DS when/if they port it.

Open Source doesn't mean shit if nobody has the skills to make use of it.

The fact is, nobody here has the talent and/or willingness to build upon it.

Couple that with the rude reception new devs such as yourself get, and you have a community no developers want to be a part of.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

my point was that with all the other exploits there is working examples and work to base your work on, see based on just that thus far the OP hasn't really shown much in terms of actual full blown experience in coding for the 3DS i figured having a pre-existing starting point would probably be better to work from if they where serious, as for all the "people are so mean to dev's"......lets not forget how many times we have seen "so i will make a CFW" threads......lets just say making a statement is no longer good enough to get even the usual suspects all giddy at the knees at the prospect of the free rom loader, maybe they will pull it off maybe not, but there is lots of work around for them to look at before making the " I will make a cfw" thread

17. Penny Morecash

Newcomer

I hadn't seen yellow8's source but I will take a look for sure!, thanks!

In some ways I understand why devs hold stuff back (not in the case of KARL, thats just weird, loads of talk and a bit of copied code).
    I too got a bad reception, from the KARL people because I told them a few home truths and by some folk here as I'm clearly unable to do what I say.

One thing I do know is that I've done a great deal of stuff over the last couple of days and none of it was very hard. IDA and a lot of code reading and it's all there.

18. NintendoFan3DS

NintendoFan3DS Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    is this topic some kind of trolling?

you know nothing about cia, sky3ds etc, and then when we told you what is this you are trying to do your own cfw with cia support ????!!!

from 0 knowledge to first cfw with cia support without gateway..... , im sorry but lots of people didnt done that yet, they work every day in teams and didnt done that, and you think you can do it on your own, no way

or you came from future, then i can understand this

19. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Vietnam
    How do you know she has "0 knowledge"?
    We already have FIRM loaders already afaik, all that is left is to stub out the sig checks in the arm9 firm. Even with no knowledge on the 3DS, she can patch it if she has RE experience.

20. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's amazing what effect a pink avatar can have in a trolling thread

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - working, Trying, Sky3DS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.