Hardware Trying to fix my Switch - please help

chipshill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATED BELOW...

Okay so I'm looking for some advice and I'll try to keep it brief.
I was using Reinx as my cfw running 6.2.0 on my day one switch. Worked like a charm most of the time.
I wasn't thinking straight one day and upgraded to 7.0.0. Switch would no longer boot, after a brief Reinx screen, I got a message at the top (top if holding in Hekate orientation) stating something along the lines of 'error: package magic missing'. I'm not 100% on the text, it definitely said something about a magic error.

So, I checked daily waiting for the new Atmosphere supporting 7.0.0 to be released, assuming that was the problem. I loaded the new cfw, and I get a black screen after the Atmosphere logo and after the Nintendo logo.

Since then (last night), I've wondered if the 'magic issue was because my sd is exfat, and I didn't tick the exfat box when upgrading in Choidujour (due to it showing a scary looking warning next to the box).

Now, I'm wondering what my best option to go forward is, and what options are available. So far I can think of:
1. Copy everything from my sd to an external hd, reformat the sd as fat, copy it all back over and see if it works. See if the format was actually the issue. If this works, I'll have a running Switch, but no games until sigpatches are sorted for 7.0. (Side note for this option: I know backup games wont work without the sigpatches, but will other homebrew stuff like Choidujour work?)

2. I could try to restore back to 6.2 when it was all fine and dandy. If I do this succesfully, I know I can't cold boot without a loader but I never did anyway so the fuse isse doesn't bother me. When I first hacked the console, I followed the directions and took backups for everything. So on my laptop I should have all the unique bits I need. I just didn't file them away like I should have, so I don't know what my Nand file looks like. I also don't know what ofw I was running when I took the backups, if that makes a difference. Also, if I get hold of a second spare sd, and use that to restore to 6.2, once it's done will I be able to use my current sd card like I was originally? Basically just to save the several hours of transferring 120GB+ back and forth.

What do you guys think?

UPDATE: I've reformatted my sd to fat32, put the relevant files on for Atmosphere and I can now get it booting in the home screen. So we have progress. Now to restore it to 6.2 to play games, can I do it through ChoidujourNX like you would do an upgrade?

EDIT: I downgraded using ChoidujourNX to 6.2 exfat. Reformatted my sd to exfat, copied my bits back over and it is back to normal. Feel free to close the thread, I couldn't find the option.

Last edited by chipshill,
Reactions: PyroGoat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs