Hacking Trying to decide if I should softmod or not

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I jsut got a Wii a couple of weeks ago, and I'm wondering whether it's worth me softmodding or not. I have some concerns, because my Wii contains one of the G2-D3S drives, so I can't watch DVDs with it, and I'm not able to install BootMii as Boot2 according to the HackMii tests, so I'm a little concerned about doing the mod without adequate brick protection. If I'm just planning on using the Wii for some homebrew games and stuff, what are my chances of bricking the Wii? Anyone have some suggestions?

gspawn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I appreciate the input DeadlyFoez. I never do anything without triple-checking the instructions first, then following them step by step.
smile.gif

Just so I'm clear though, trucha'ing the system is only necessary if I want to run usb loaders, backups, etc. and if I ever decide to revirginize my Wii? And I'm assuming this won't have any adverse effects on my current Wii/Ware/VC games?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'll want to trucha-enable some of your IOSes (either by patching or downgrading, the former being preferable) to allow some homebrew apps to run and install things. You'll also probably want to install a cIOS, which is necessary for backup loaders. Installing Priiloader early is a good idea as it provides a fair amount of brick protection when trying things (not quite as foolproof as Bootmii boot2 but acceptable).

Your current stuff will be unaffected. Your Shop account isn't messed with, so even if you delete everything on the Wii you can redownload that stuff later. Channels and stuff that you install will not interfere with your existing setup and will be indistinguishable from previous purchases in most respects.

If you decide to revirginize, there are guides for that. It basically comes down to removing anything you installed and updating all the IOSes.

Since you're good at following instructions, I point you to the Simplistic Mod sticky or the Complete Softmod Guide as up-to-date, all-encompassing guides that should get you started on most topics.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gspawn said:
I appreciate the input DeadlyFoez. I never do anything without triple-checking the instructions first, then following them step by step.
smile.gif

Just so I'm clear though, trucha'ing the system is only necessary if I want to run usb loaders, backups, etc. and if I ever decide to revirginize my Wii? And I'm assuming this won't have any adverse effects on my current Wii/Ware/VC games?

About Trucha here

About Revirginize here (not recommended to do this!)

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Just run install the homebrew channel then. That will let you do most of what you want. It's safe, skip the rest if you aren't comfortable. Or get pussieloader if you dont' even want to install *anything* and just run your homebrew from the SD

CWaffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got the US Black Wii on Sunday and used the guide here - http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-2-below - to compltely my softmod. This is at least the 4th Wii I have modded using this guide and I have never once had a problem. Take the plunge...you wont regret it. Just make sure to read the instructions in that guide and follow them exactly, word for word, line for line and you will have a perfectly softmodded Wii.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Coming into the Wii scene pretty late, What I did was read about ~10 guides and then play 'spot the difference' and figure out why the guides did things different ways to understand the process better - plus what each step actually does. Ask a few intelligent questions based on your research if needed and it all comes together pretty quickly. Took me a good few days to learn the ins and outs of wii soft-modding.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you bother asking this question here? this is the hacking section. everybody here has hacked their wii. if youre looking for opinions, youre only gonna get one opinion from everybody here. you might as well go to mcdonalds and take a poll of who likes burgers, fries and happy meals.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I think the original poster didn't mean opinions in the way of "what do you guys like?" but to quickly find out the ins and outs of wii hacking.

I think most of it has been said. Any wii can be hacked*; procedures don't differ that much amongst different firmwares or regions (although it's worth stressing that they AREN'T the same); guides...well, see previous posts.

*the only real differences aside from hacking method is A) the drive (newer wii's can't play backup discs) and B) the ability to install bootmii as boot2 (newer versions can't do that).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool