Trucha, homebrews and IOS37, last questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fhy, May 3, 2008.

May 3, 2008
  1. fhy
    OP

Newcomer fhy Member

France
    (I'm sorry I first posted this in the hardware forum, I think it should be here. if there is a moderator reading, please feel free to delete the post in the hardware section)

hello,
    first I must say I've plenty of original games so the questions about backups are about my own games only, I really don't need pirating [​IMG]

I need help to understand more what the Wiibrew site tells about IOS37 :
    http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

please correct and complete what you can from what I understand :
    - the signature bug in the firmwares preceding IOS37 allows hackers to lure the Wii system menu, for instance to launch homebrews.
    Do the modchips, freeloader also use this to launch backup? Or the modchip lures only the DVD drive? Or the "job" of the modwhip is to bypass the first level of protection, on the drive, and the bug allows to pass the level of protection on the game itself (a trucha-modified game or import game) : in short, if the signature bug isn't available, does all backups stop to work, or only those who are different from the original one -brickblocked for instance-
    - if I install the upgrade - because I'd really like to buy 1 or 2 Wiiwares - , I don't risk anything if each time the wii proposes me an upgrade, I refuse, AND everytime I buy a game, I don't play it directly but rip it, brickblock the disc image, burn a trusty DVD and play only with it?
    I expected to have backups of all my games whatever the case

My Wii is currently 3.2E so it is about the european upgrades

thank you a lot !

2. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    It says in large letters "The signing bug is still effective. It does not affect you." Update all you want.

3. blu9987

Member blu9987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    also take note

"For some reason, I cannot reproduce the problem. I must have been too tired that night. As it stands, current system menu running under IOS37 with a homebrew channel installed does not cause bricking. Marcan 18:10, 26 March 2008 (PDT)"

4. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Hmm im wondering... is our VC Channels thats packed with the WAD packers ALSO Traucha signed [​IMG]

5. blu9987

United States
    The new bfgr wad packer3.9a has an option to trucha sign, don't think it does by default though.

On a side note, does anyone else realize that trucha means trout in english [​IMG]

6. Drejjmit

Newcomer Drejjmit Member

Sweden
    they all are packed with the key.bin so ofc they are trucha signed

7. blu9987

United States
    From what i've heard the common-key only decrypts and encrypts the file when un/packing normally.....
    Now when you select the -sign option in bfgr wadpacker, it actually physically changes the .tik and .tmd

Just going by what i've heard and seen.... I may be wrong but w/e

8. fhy
    OP

Newcomer fhy Member

France
    I've read this too and it confused me.
    The homebrew channel needs a Wii system that can't use the IOS37, OK
    If I update and kep the current system as it is , it will never be able to correct the bug and block homebrews

But for the games? Will i have a game that call the IOS37 and then block the Wii?
    the system to brickblock them is sufficient to avoid this issue?

can a game modify the system without acknowledging the user?
    since it is a game console and not a PC hardware I'm not sure how it works, the "system" is not really an OS like windows or Linux I suppose. It can't be called or changed at any moment, or so I think. I'd like some explanations on how it works.
    If a guru tells me, I'd be very happy and I think I'll start doing an FAQ in my mother langage (french)

Thank you!

9. Bilbotorm

Newcomer Bilbotorm Advanced Member

New Zealand
    Really? I was thinking it was always using Trucha.

Any source for that information ?