Hacking Trucha, homebrews and IOS37, last questions

fhy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
(I'm sorry I first posted this in the hardware forum, I think it should be here. if there is a moderator reading, please feel free to delete the post in the hardware section)

hello,
first I must say I've plenty of original games so the questions about backups are about my own games only, I really don't need pirating
happy.gif

I need help to understand more what the Wiibrew site tells about IOS37 :
http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

please correct and complete what you can from what I understand :
- the signature bug in the firmwares preceding IOS37 allows hackers to lure the Wii system menu, for instance to launch homebrews.
Do the modchips, freeloader also use this to launch backup? Or the modchip lures only the DVD drive? Or the "job" of the modwhip is to bypass the first level of protection, on the drive, and the bug allows to pass the level of protection on the game itself (a trucha-modified game or import game) : in short, if the signature bug isn't available, does all backups stop to work, or only those who are different from the original one -brickblocked for instance-
- if I install the upgrade - because I'd really like to buy 1 or 2 Wiiwares - , I don't risk anything if each time the wii proposes me an upgrade, I refuse, AND everytime I buy a game, I don't play it directly but rip it, brickblock the disc image, burn a trusty DVD and play only with it?
I expected to have backups of all my games whatever the case

My Wii is currently 3.2E so it is about the european upgrades

thank you a lot !

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
also take note

"For some reason, I cannot reproduce the problem. I must have been too tired that night. As it stands, current system menu running under IOS37 with a homebrew channel installed does not cause bricking. Marcan 18:10, 26 March 2008 (PDT)"

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
The new bfgr wad packer3.9a has an option to trucha sign, don't think it does by default though.

On a side note, does anyone else realize that trucha means trout in english
tongue.gif

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
Drejjmit said:
they all are packed with the key.bin so ofc they are trucha signed
From what i've heard the common-key only decrypts and encrypts the file when un/packing normally.....
Now when you select the -sign option in bfgr wadpacker, it actually physically changes the .tik and .tmd

Just going by what i've heard and seen.... I may be wrong but w/e

fhy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
blu9987 said:
also take note

"For some reason, I cannot reproduce the problem. I must have been too tired that night. As it stands, current system menu running under IOS37 with a homebrew channel installed does not cause bricking. Marcan 18:10, 26 March 2008 (PDT)"
I've read this too and it confused me.
The homebrew channel needs a Wii system that can't use the IOS37, OK
If I update and kep the current system as it is , it will never be able to correct the bug and block homebrews

But for the games? Will i have a game that call the IOS37 and then block the Wii?
the system to brickblock them is sufficient to avoid this issue?

can a game modify the system without acknowledging the user?
since it is a game console and not a PC hardware I'm not sure how it works, the "system" is not really an OS like windows or Linux I suppose. It can't be called or changed at any moment, or so I think. I'd like some explanations on how it works.
If a guru tells me, I'd be very happy and I think I'll start doing an FAQ in my mother langage (french)

Thank you!

Bilbotorm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
blu9987 said:
Drejjmit said:
they all are packed with the key.bin so ofc they are trucha signed
From what i've heard the common-key only decrypts and encrypts the file when un/packing normally.....
Now when you select the -sign option in bfgr wadpacker, it actually physically changes the .tik and .tmd

Just going by what i've heard and seen.... I may be wrong but w/e

Really? I was thinking it was always using Trucha.

Any source for that information ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4