OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. I'm having trouble with rom trimmer 2.0. I tried trimming Roms already loaded on my micro SD card and most were trimmed OK according to the trimmer software, but when I go into Windows Explorer, it shows 0 KB for many of the trimmed ROMS (only two actually worked), and of course, I'm getting white screen when I try to load.

Am I following the right procedure for this, or should I be trimming the original ROM first, then use the m3 manager to load onto the micro sd card? or...??

Thanks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd trim the original ROMs again and not the ones you trimmed with the old trimmer. The whole problem with the old R4 trimmer is that it over-trimmed and removed WiFi data. The new trimmer won't put the data back that got over-trimmed.

Many people are singing the praises of TokyoTrim. Maybe you should try that one instead of the R4 trimmer 2.0.

luck11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay thanks. Will try re-trimming from fresh rom. Will also try the tokyo trimmer.

Will the existing save files continue to work with the newly trimmed roms? And will it be necessary to manually change the name of the save files on the micro sd card to match the new name of the trimmed rom? (I will likely want "trim" in the file name so I can distinquish the full rom from trimmed rom and avoid confusion later on)

Sorry, I'm having a seniors moment....do I still need to use the m3 manager to copy the rom onto the micro sd for my M3 Simply, or can I simply drag and drop? I may be confusing the procedure with my m3lite.

Thanks again.

kaktus.ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There was probably to little space left on your microSD.
You see, when the trimmer trims the ROMS, it first searches the rom file for the place where it should trim it from.
Then recreates the file again, so you actually almost need double the space left on your microSD to trim a file.

64MB rom requires about 128MB left on the card before the trimming.

Maybe there's no warning about when there isn't enough space availible in the R4 Rom Trimmer and thus it creates a file that's empty?

Oh well, just retrim your (backed up clean) roms with R4 rom trimmer v2.0, SkinnyRom, or NDSTokyoRom.

You can read my test at:
ROM Trimmer Test

luck11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone. NDSTokyo worked like a charm. In fact, some games that were not working before are now working properly.

KAKTUS, just to clarify, I trim my roms from my CLEAN ROMS ON DS folder to another folder called TRIMMED folder on the HD on my PC, then simply drag them from the TRIMMED folder to my micro SD. I did not actually use my micro SD card per se.....I guess I was a bit unclear in that repsect. I have 500 GB of HD space, with only 35% of it used, so space definitely was not an issue. The advantage of this approach is that should anything funky happen with my microsd, all I have to do is drag and copy the files back to the same or new card.

Anyway, ROM Trimmer 2.0 is out, NDSTokyo is in....for me at least. If it ain't broke....

Cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1