Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded Mr. Do for the NDS. It says a very popular download, and it has high ratings, so someone knows how to make it work!!

Anyway, when I run it...everything comes up...but the game does not start when I press "A" like it says it should...in fact, NOTHING I DO makes the game start.

I can see the graphics perfectly, I can even change settings on the touch screen, as well as with the buttons.

But the game does not start.

Help.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
Are all your MAME roms in .zip files and located in a folder called MAMERoms?

(ps. which version are you running? v2 is the latest currently)

Huh?
No one said I had to do anything like that...not on the download page!!

It's an NDS file, so I just dragged and dropped. There were some .mrq files, dunno what they were, but I put them all just in my regular games folder...along with the .nds file for it.

If I haven't done this right...can you please tell me exactly what I am supposed to do...and then, of course, how I access it from my DS later on. Do I need a MAME Emulator to do this thing with? WTF?

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
Have a go at these instructions for Mr Do DS. Any problems let me know.

Ok, seems simple enuff.
But, why would you have to have the file still zipped? That part of the instructions doesn't make sense. Seems you would have the Mr Do.nds file and then the .mrq files in that folder...but not still zipped!

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
Read it again....only the MAME files are zipped.

(it's polite never to PM asking for more help without first asking permission)

But there was no MAME file with this...just an .nds file. Unless you mean those .mrq files. In which case...do I need to zip them up seperate from the .nds file?

I have never done much of anything with MAME, so I'm not familiar with how it works.

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
Yes you are correct there is no MAME files with the .nds file. You have to find them elsewhere on the internet.
So this doesn't actually work, then.

What, exactly am I looking for? Sorry to be such a bother.

But if GBA temps is gonna host that as a homebrew that you can download...you should be able to download everything you need to make it work. What am I missing, what is it called? That way, I can look for it.

I never HEARD of a MAME set before, so I don't know what it is, or how to begin searching for it.

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
MAME sets are in a grey area of legality, so very few high profile sites will link to them or allow you to download them. Effectively they are ROMs.

Hit wikipedia for a break down of what MAME is/are.

Then hit google for "mame downloads Mr Do". Make sure the ones that you download match to the ones listed on the Wiki I linked to.

Once you get the right files, come back and let us know if you still have problems running this emulator.

GL

ChuckMcB

Trophies
Website
www.ds-xtra.com
XP
Country
..and someone else who need to head for Wikipedia
wink.gif

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
MAME sets are in a grey area of legality, so very few high profile sites will link to them or allow you to download them. Effectively they are ROMs.

Hit wikipedia for a break down of what MAME is/are.

Then hit google for "mame downloads Mr Do". Make sure the ones that you download match to the ones listed on the Wiki I linked to.

Once you get the right files, come back and let us know if you still have problems running this emulator.

GL

hummm, ok...let me see if I have this right now...

When I click on the download link in the wiki, I find a readme file in there, I opened it and looked at it...

Name ROM Parent ROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Do! mrdo
Mr. Do! (prototype) mrdoy mrdo
Mr. Do! (Taito) mrdot mrdo
Mr. Do! (bugfixed) mrdofix mrdo
Mr. Lo! mrlo mrdo
Mr. Du! mrdu mrdo
Yankee DO! yankeedo mrdo
Mr. Do's Castle (set 1) docastle
Mr. Do's Castle (set 2) docastl2 docastle
Mr. Do's Castle (older) docastlo docastle
Mr. Do vs. Unicorns douni docastle
Do! Run Run (set 1) dorunrun
Do! Run Run (set 2) dorunru2 dorunrun
Do! Run Run (Do's Castle hardware, set 1) dorunruc dorunrun
Do! Run Run (Do's Castle hardware, set 2) dorunrca dorunrun
Super Pierrot (Japan) spiero dorunrun
Mr. Do's Wild Ride dowild
Jumping Jack jjack
Kick Rider kickrid

So I googled. I have three downloads done, one is mrdo.zip, one is docastle.zip, and one is dorunrun.zip.
Those three zip files should be placed, as is, into this MAMERoms folder?

And then the .mrq files?

and then it should work?

Or is there still more I have to download and install?

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
\o/

Glad you got sorted.

Never woulda happened without yer help, thanks.

no one ever said, anywhere in the download file here...that you had to also download other stuff, other places...and then put them in specific places on your SD card.

Nothing in the download here suggested you'd have to do anything other than drag and drop, lol

Kalisiin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
ChuckMcB said:
No problem.

Homebrew can be tricky at the best of times.....programmers like programming...gamers like gaming....neither like putting together good docs.
True.
Me, I'm more of a gamer, but I like to dabble a bit in programming...though I can't really do the sort of stuff y'all are doing...I code PhP...which is for the PC. Me, I'm more into playing games than making them, although I HAVE made my own Legend of the Green Dragon site on the web...and, yes, there's hundreds of them out there...but mine has some custom modules I programmed that are unique to my specific game.

So I CAN program some...but not really this homebrew stuff. I wish I could learn some more...it can't be TOO different from PhP.....

that said, I admire the hell out of folks who CAN...and not only that...those who put GOOD stuff out there...stuff that they really oughta try SELLING.

I've run into a few homebrews in my time that I think might could turn a few bucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)