Hacking Triiforce problems?

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I have an external SAMSUNG HDD, which is perfectly compatible with USBLoader GX, Configurable USB Loader, and the likes. I have never had a problem with it before.

Since realizing that Triiforce can help me run my favourite Wii Channels without either having to fill my entire Wii NAND, or use my SDHC which involves constant temporary transfer of data to the Wii NAND, I decided to make it work for me.

Sadly, I can't.

What I am trying to do, is install the forwarder for USB devices, and have it so I can run channels from the external HDD.

My HDD is partitioned into one WBFS and one FAT32, with WBFS being the 'Primary' and FAT32 being the 'Logical'. The WBFS partition can be seen normally by all applications that support it.

I tried a BootMii dump of my NAND, as well as a Simple NAND Dumper dump, in order to get this to work.

I put the resulting files into the root of the FAT32 partition, and then used a program to read this NAND back-up, and installed new Channels into it. I did not change the NAND image in any way except for adding new content.

I then proceeded to put the HDD back into the Wii, and loaded the forwarder which simply reset my Wii back to the menus and did not work. I tried to run Triiforce directly from HBC, and when done so it can obviously read my real NAND perfectly, but when I point it to USB NAND I get an error that the program 'can't access the titles' and then Triiforce exits.

I am not quite sure what the problem might be. I am running the latest CIOS, Friiloader, and I have BootMii as a hidden IOS (my Wii is not supporting full BootMii installation).

Any help?

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
I think i see what your problem is and I think I had the same problem as you in the beginning when setting up the partitions on my hdd for both WBFS and wiiware. What I did was this:

Use the computer management tool and allocate the space for WBFS partition and set it as raw (dont format it - no need)

Make sure its a primary partition

Now allocate some more space as another primary partition (do not use extended and logicall).
Now format this partition as FAT32 (note you may need a 3rd party app to do this).

Once you have the two primary partitions set the WBFS one to Active, by right clicking on it in the computer management console and selecting set active.

Take your bootmii dump (preferably with wiiware installed with showmiiwads) and copy all the relevant folders to shared1,shared2, etc to the root of your FAT32 partition.

Note you will need the usb loading triforce to read them off usb now. pop this on your sd card or alternatively pop this on your fat32 partition in the apps folder. For forwarders to load apps directly of usb you may need to edit them using a pc tool to change the path. Most forwarders try to load the app off sd:/apps/ and then will try usb:/apps/ but some may not try the usb path. You should be careful if editing wads and copying them to your nand tho as its a good way to brick your wii. I just stick to booting apps off sd card and keep all my wiiware and iso games on hdd.

I have tested my setup with a 1tb hdd which has 48gig fat32 for apps and the remaining 880+gb for wii games.

Alternatively you could install Hermes Cios222 V5 and use Uloader 4.9A as that has the option to load wiiware now and is more compatible than triiforce. The only issue is that using cios222 with the other usb loaders may break them but you can still use uloader 4.9a to load a game with cios222 or cios223 if the usual 249 wont work. Cios249 will still work for the other usb loaders even wth cios222 v5 installed. It is also possible to use triiforce and uloader together but you will need two nand dumps. To use use uloader for wiiware, you dont even need a nand dump, just create a folder called nand on your fat32 partition root and inside that create a folder called install and put the wads in there and it will detect and install them into seperate folders within the nand folder when you load it up. There is a tutorial on the net for this, just google ades softmodding wii blog.

The guide I followed was here for uloader and cios222 v5

http://adewii.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/how...es-via-uloader/

Note you can still use triiforce mrc usb as well by having a dumped nand with wiiware titles installed and copying the folders to the usb or sd root. You might want to do this for different titles. Note that the monkey islands and strong bads are now working with uloader and still dont work in triiforce. I also had cubello working with uloader earlier too!
tongue.gif
Good luck and hope you get it all working.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Scuba156 said:
Triiforce doesnt yet work with wanin's cIOS rev 18, revert to rev 17 for now

Yeah this is true but if you have cios 18 installed then surely uloader 4.9 and cios222 v5 should still work anyways. Then just use uloader to load the wiiware like I said in my previous post.
lecture.gif

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly it does not! I can't for the life of me understand what is going on here! I have the latest cIOSs' installed and i am trying the latest uLoader (with cIOS222 v5 and cIOS223 v5) and Virtual Console games do NOT work. Most of my WADs are from different region mind (PAL Wii with NTSC WADs) but I don't see how this could be a problem, since Triiforce CAN run them from the real NAND. uLoader simply boots to a black screen, where everything hangs. My Wii Remote gets disconnected and my only option is to restart the system.

On the few ocassions that a game DOES run, I get no picture -- VC problem, so while trying to go to the 'manual' to press Z+A+1, everything hangs badly (usually with an ongoing sound) and I have to manually restart the console.

Any ideas?

EDIT: To narrow this problem down:

Nintendo 64 games seem to work fine. However NES, SNES and generally other games seem to not. Some NES games do boot but without picture, and then hang if I press HOME and try to access any option.

To give a couple of examples of games NOT playing:

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Alex Kidd (MS)

While games such as:

F-Zero X
Kirby 64

WORK fine.

EDIT 2: N64 games that work do so with a major problem: Sound stutters.

This problem was the main reason I looked into Triiforce and uLoader in the first place. Triiforce eliminates this problem when games are run from the real NAND, but uLoader does not seem to fix it (tried all video options). This is really inconvinient because I had the same problem when running these games from actual installations on the Wii itself, so not solving this problem moots the last reason I wanted uLoader in the first place. Triiforce is the only thing that seems to work for this problem, but sadly I can't get it to run from USB NAND!

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm that sounds odd. Have you tried enabling the region free hacks with priiloader? I have a pal wii with ntsc games and they work fine with triiforce or uloader 4.9 and cios 222 v5.

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know, I have. Can you tell me which hacks you are talking about? I have enabled all 'good-sounding' hacks in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1