ROM Hack RELEASE Trials of Mana - Graphics and Performance Mods

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game will utilize as much gpu power as is given to it, with or without using my patches, that's just the way the engine works. If you overclock without the patches it will still utilize almost 100% gpu trying to max out resolution using the dynamic resolution engine it has. gpu of course generates the most heat so it's to be expected that you're going to hit some pretty high temperatures with a max overclock.

Whether this is "safe" or not is more of a discussion for the sys-clk thread rather than here but of course you overclock completely at your own risk and you can expect to shorten the lifespan of your console compared to stock clocks at least. Also make sure you read the resources that masagrator shared to see when the Switch will automatically sleep itself.

Alright thanks man. I did notice, even with stock clocks my fan would be going into overdrive anyways haha.

vaanen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i tried both 30fps mod and quality mod. The 30 fps introduce framepacing issues, in loadings, movements, even with max oc... its much less enjoyable than without and its not a performance issue, some square games like ffxv had the same issue on pc actually once a forced third party 30 fps cap was in place. And coincidentally also, if i remember well, the game is not capped at 30 fps, but rather 31/34 fps with the in game official fps cap. The quality mod, even with max oc on both cpu and gpu, has heavy slowdowns sometimes, and some bosses are near unplayable (the second ice boss for exemple).

The issue to me lies in both the switch power (for the 900p mode) and square enix port of the game for the 30 fps cap mode. there is something very wrong in how the game handles fps, the animation of flammy is very choppy and weird without any cap, and becomes smooth once the cap mod is in place. Unfortunately, the game seems to rely on the uneven fps, as loadings becomes very choppy and gameplay has a lot of framepacing issues once the modded fps cap is in place.

i don't think there is anything we can do as of right now to truly improve the game. I did not try the 60 fps mod but i think it may be the only one truly improving gameplay since this game seems to want a higher fps count, but the quality price is too high for me imo. To really improve things, that would require a better switch for that.

on another note, i noticed oc the cpu without any mod whatsoever improved a lot the fps when there is a lot of enemies on screen, when oc the gpu only marginally improved that situation. With both max oc on gpu and cpu, the game rarely slowdowns while everytime there was too much enemies on screen i would get some slowdowns on stock everything while docked. Dragon Quest XI S didnt really slowdown for me, but i also noticed an improvement overall on dynamic resolution when both of them were OC to the max vs only gpu. It seems they share something in common, maybe UE4 ported games are very cpu hungry on switch, much more so than real switch exclusives like nintendo titles and benefit a lot from cpu oc

Last edited by vaanen,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i tried both 30fps mod and quality mod. The 30 fps introduce framepacing issues, in loadings, movements, even with max oc... its much less enjoyable than without and its not a performance issue, some square games like ffxv had the same issue on pc actually once a forced third party 30 fps cap was in place. And coincidentally also, if i remember well, the game is not capped at 30 fps, but rather 31/34 fps with the in game official fps cap. The quality mod, even with max oc on both cpu and gpu, has heavy slowdowns sometimes, and some bosses are near unplayable (the second ice boss for exemple).

The issue to me lies in both the switch power (for the 900p mode) and square enix port of the game for the 30 fps cap mode. there is something very wrong in how the game handles fps, the animation of flammy is very choppy and weird without any cap, and becomes smooth once the cap mod is in place. Unfortunately, the game seems to rely on the uneven fps, as loadings becomes very choppy and gameplay has a lot of framepacing issues once the modded fps cap is in place.

i don't think there is anything we can do as of right now to truly improve the game. I did not try the 60 fps mod but i think it may be the only one truly improving gameplay since this game seems to want a higher fps count, but the quality price is too high for me imo. To really improve things, that would require a better switch for that.

on another note, i noticed oc the cpu without any mod whatsoever improved a lot the fps when there is a lot of enemies on screen, when oc the gpu only marginally improved that situation. With both max oc on gpu and cpu, the game rarely slowdowns while everytime there was too much enemies on screen i would get some slowdowns on stock everything while docked. Dragon Quest XI S didnt really slowdown for me, but i also noticed an improvement overall on dynamic resolution when both of them were OC to the max vs only gpu. It seems they share something in common, maybe UE4 ported games are very cpu hungry on switch, much more so than real switch exclusives like nintendo titles and benefit a lot from cpu oc
I can't check right now what this mod is using to lock FPS. If this is simple FrameRateLimit, then it may be resolved by deleting it and using this:
Code:
[Switch DeviceProfile]
+CVars=nvn.SyncInterval=2
This is using vsync to synchronize render loop to match 30 FPS. There is a chance that game may not support it, but it's worth trying.

Last edited by masagrator,

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Isn’t there any option to make it balanced between hi quality and not too much OC?

Youffie

DrBrunette
Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Just a quick question as I don't want to start a new thread...
Is it possible to use PC mod for Trials of Mana with layered SF ?
As they use the same engine and file construction I was wondering if it was possible.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As they use the same engine and file construction I was wondering if it was possible.
It depends. It cannot use mods needing code injection and texture mods from PC will be broken on Switch.

Awans LayeredFS*

moonblood666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The one attached to this message should be locked 720p in docked and handheld instead of 900p in docked, I made it when the demo was released.

Thank you so much for this. This may be a bit off topic, but is the same possible for Dragon Quest XIS? Both are on the same engine if I remember correctly.

vaanen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

no. the game has fps drops even without any quality mod. max oc almost eliminate any fps drops, but some rare do still occurs. if any quality setting is added, it will increase them, and this is with max oc. to play this game in higher quality we will need a better switch

I can't check right now what this mod is using to lock FPS. If this is simple FrameRateLimit, then it may be resolved by deleting it and using this:
Code:
[Switch DeviceProfile]
This is using vsync to synchronize render loop to match 30 FPS. There is a chance that game may not support it, but it's worth trying.

interesting. i do not know how to do that but that seems promising

Last edited by vaanen,

UnT7oh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:
[Switch DeviceProfile]

no. the game has fps drops even without any quality mod. max oc almost eliminate any fps drops, but some rare do still occurs. if any quality setting is added, it will increase them, and this is with max oc. to play this game in higher quality we will need a better switch

interesting. i do not know how to do that but that seems promising

I tried this originally and game didn't seem to respond to it, so it's just a simple 30fps cap. I don't think framepacing issues can be resolved by us, the game is simply optimized to run at 60fps on the more powerful platforms.

Thank you so much for this. This may be a bit off topic, but is the same possible for Dragon Quest XIS? Both are on the same engine if I remember correctly.

This was already done https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-xi-s-full-version-60-fps-mod.549126/page-4#post-8827312

vaanen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried this originally and game didn't seem to respond to it, so it's just a simple 30fps cap. I don't think framepacing issues can be resolved by us, the game is simply optimized to run at 60fps on the more powerful platforms.

This was already done https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-xi-s-full-version-60-fps-mod.549126/page-4#post-8827312

yeah, like i said there is something wrong with how the game handle fps. FFXV had the exact same issue on pc with a forced 30 fps cap (not the ingame one, which is fake and is more a 31/34 fps lock).

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Can someone do me a favor? Can you upload the modpack to Virustotal and add the URL? Chrome seem to think it's a virus.

(At work at the moment)

Last edited by linuxares,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks!
We noticed Google is being angry on the site at the moment. Nothing can be downloaded with Google Chrome at the moment from GBAtemp.
I have downloaded it with Android Chrome. From what I know Chrome for Windows gives you an option to save file from untrusted source anyway.

RizqanArt

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It's 2020 and there's developer who lazy enough to add graphical option in an premium offline game.
Modders and indie game developer always doing it better, shame on nowaday's rich-published game developer.

Thankfully I found this thread though, gonna test the game on my 2014 toaster laptop (i3 GT820M 8 GB RAM)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...