Tranfering content to a new SD card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Robfozz, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Im going to buy a bigger SD card soon and I wanted to know if theres any complications or things I should be aware of when doing so. Is it just drag and drop from old card to new card or? I use reiNAND if that matters

2. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    You will need to format the emunand on your new card to create the emunand partition, then backup the emunand on your old card and restore it to the new card. Then drag all your files from the old card to the new card.

I use emunand tool to backup and restore.

Pretty simple.

Last edited by mediabob, Feb 1, 2016
    urherenow likes this.
  3. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    and don't forget that it needs to be formatted to fat32. Windows won't do that natively on large cards, so you'll have to use 3rd party software.

4. Loaffy

Loaffy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    Canada
    Personally I make a full copy of the old SD card using "HDD Raw Copy Tool", then I write that backup to the new SD card. Then, because usually you would be upgrading to a bigger card, I use "minitool partition wizard" to resize the second partition on the new SD card (this partition is the one you can see in windows, where you put your files/games, i.e. the big partition). You have to resize the partition because HDD Raw Copy Tool writes a direct copy of your old SD card with whatever sized partitions it had.

I personally find this easier than formatting a new emuNAND and injecting a backup and all that stuff, since I can do it all on my PC. These programs are really easy to use too.

Last edited by Loaffy, Feb 1, 2016
  5. Testo90

Testo90 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Badung, Bali, Indonesia
  6. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Make emunand on new card, copy everything else to PC, backup current emunand. Inject and move files into new SD card. That's all I had to do.