Tough decision: A new DS (lite) or a PSP.

• Thread starter Gilrad
  • Start date
  • Views 3,426
  • Replies 43
G

Gilrad

OP
So my current DS is old. It's a fat model, the electric blue that came with Mario 64 DS. The top screen is slightly flickery, the bottom screen, while not really scratched, is visibly worn. It's seen a lot of love over the years.

So I must reach a tough decision. Do I want to get a new DS lite? Or do I want to live with my DS and get a PSP?

What do you think? Can I rig a PSP to do homebrew right out of the box? Would I have to search for an older version? Are the games available actually worth it? I can easily live with a new DS, no problem, but if there's more to gain with a PSP, I would like to know why.

Thanks for your help!

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
hmm I wonder what people on this site are going to say...
rolleyes.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...

I personally think that the DS has some quite innovative homebrew applications. But the PSP has more "useful" apps. The DS is better for just playing games.

The only bad thing about psp is battery life, 3-4 hours. I get 10 on my DS on brightness 3, with an R4 and an ez 3-in-1.

So if you want to play decent games, get a DS. If you want to play decent games(although less choice of decent games) with good graphics and make a mini-computer out of it, and you don't care much about battery life, get a PSP.

G

Gilrad

OP
Well the thing is I already have a DS with my CycloDS evo. It's just the DS is old as heck. The battery maybe has four hours to it before it redlights, I use it so often.

edit-- Of course, it would also be incredibly cheaper to go for the DS lite if I were to pawn off my fat for, say $50.

WildCard

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got my PSP first...sure battery life may not be that great but...it has a hella lot more usefulness. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my DS and all I ever do is play all the good games on it. The PSP...I dont have a single game that was made for it if that lets you know anything about the games. They suck.

The PSP can play NES SNES GB GBA Sega I mean it can play any classic system no problem even N64 is gettin good on it. I also use it for a VNC client, stream video over wifi to it, use internet radio on it. It has unlimited potential really. So I'd say go for it. You got a DS phat anyways...you can still enjoy the wonderful games.

And I'm not a Sony fanboy lol. I daily play my Wii and play Hotel Dusk while in bed(I'll beat it one of these nights lol) I'll eventually get a PS3 when I find a game that is worth getting it for. I really think the price is fair for the tech, I mean come on it's a blu-ray player. Can't complain about price with all its features.

I'm sidetracking though. Get the PSP haha and don't be scared about downgrading, you gotta be pretty stupid to brick it. I've downgraded plenty of them.

azn_225

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
go here: go 2 google search " psp vs ds " da first one should be gear.ign.com and chk urself which 1 is better..

for me thoe.. i prefer ds with r4

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally think that the PSP is too ahead of its time, especially with price and battery life. Wait for the PSP2, when Sony (naturally) steals all of Nintendo's ideas and learns from their mistakes.

I'm no big fan of any gaming company, I'm just looking for the least worst.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have both, and there are a few games that i have for the psp. i say wait for the psp slim to come out and get one, but the thing is you might not be able to downgrade it anytime soon. which kinda puts a damper on getting homebrew stuff.

but yeah. if you dont have a psp get that and downgrade then bobs your uncle. but if you cant stnd your ratty old ds, then get a DS lite.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 Phats, 1 Lite, and 2 PSPs. I don't even use my PSP anymore due to the fact the only game I'm waiting for is GOW and FFVII:CC; which don't come out till 08. I play Megaman, Mario kart, Luminous Arc, Heroes of Mana, Lunar Knights, Brain Age 2, and WarioWare Touched on my DS.

Now, you choose which is more appealing.

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dude, get the Lite. They are going to be making good games for the DS for years to come and the Lite is nothing like the Phat it's almost like getting a whole new hand held system. And if you kept your DS and got the PSP well you wouldn't even have time to play every game. Mind as well get the Lite and only have one system cause it's not like you're gonna run out of good games.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Get all 3 like I'm doing. I already have DSL(with a SCDS and a EZF4 Lite Deluxe) and I have half the money saved up for a GP2X with a BOB Cradle(Mulitplayer NES with USB controllers.... and SNES eventually). After that I will get a PSP.

Out of the DS and PSP, get a PSP for emulation. Get a DSL for really innovative homebrew(try using MSN on a PSP
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker