Top 3 Game Turnoffs (Mostly in RPG's)

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm... multiple endings are OK if the is real replay value to getting them, like star wars KOTOR is almost a completely different game between getting the light and dark endings. but some games they just have trivial differences to decide the ending you get.

Long RPGs are good as long as it doesn't seem like it is being deliberately dragged out.

and grinding sucks, it always sucks, its boring in MMOs, even more in off-line RPGs

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
domo kun said:
xxRAG3 said:
Some things seriously bug me on games. I know this list is true to a lot of others.

#3: Spending time in order to waste it.

In addition to that, I kind of wish there was some sort of computerized option in RPGs (Not auto-battle, i would want them to heal or do magic or something) to just have them level up for you. Oh yay, I get to fight you for the damn 27th time, even though its still the same exact process as it was before. You as well, Pokermuns. You as well.

Thats one of the stupidest things I've heard since I stopped going on the gametrailers forums. You do know thats the point of an RPG? Its to level up, increase stats, getter better items, etc. If you don't like that I don't think RPGs are for you. But I do agree with the Windwaker thing you said.

grinding is boring

domo kun said:
And I have to say I disagree with a lot of things people said, like stat building in action games. They would be very dull if you couldn't get upgrades.

If a game gets dull when there aren't upgrades, then the game is bad (or you have poor taste). Spartan: Total Warrior would certainly not be boring without uprgrades.

QUOTE(domo kun @ Feb 11 2009, 08:23 PM)
And in which action game don't you have stat building? God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.

Street Fighter II and most (if not all) fighting games, Castle of Shikigami III, Contra, The House of the Dead 4. There are tons! And just because a lot of action games use stat progression doesn't make it a good thing.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
Unskippable cutscenes...

you get that with most games these days.

jgu1994 said:
Saves. I hate games where you have a designated save point. Why can't i just start and stop when ever I want. It gets especially annoying if i have to go or something, but there isn't a save point anywhere near me. It means I'll either have to replay a part, or keep going and risk being late to something. One of the big reasons i can never get through some rpgs (final fantasy) is because i get to a certain portion and die, but because my previous save was like 10 minutes ago, i get really turned off and i don't feel like playing again. It seems that they've corrected this with quick saves, but I don't understand why. Why have a quick save as apposed to a normal save.

most games have that these days too, i just turn the dam thing off i can't be bothered, a good example is 2 days ago i was playing the warriors 2 player on the ps2, it was 12am, i told my boyfriend that i wanted to go to bed, he says "nah, just one more mission" 1 hour later we are still doing the mission, and there is no where to save at all, i just gave up and went to bed as i was tired, and eventually my boyfriend just turned it off as we couldn't save at all.

QUOTE(MicShadow @ Feb 8 2009, 08:16 AM)
Games that get indepth way too fast. Like a complex card system you must learn from day one

that puts me way off, like those horrid yugi oh! games and that card game on the ps3, complete bore, i don't have time for complex affiars lol

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lives sytem. There is no excuse for this anymore. This is why save points exist.

Unskippable cutscenes. Especially if I've died and have to repeat this again.

Romance subplots that don't belong. RPGs are bad for this, having 2 party characters fall for each other 5 minutes after they meet. Sonic Team throws this into the Sonic games to the point it's unacceptable. Which seems real dumb since they oppose romance pairings in the games anyway.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey here's a concept. Narrow minded licensee games.

For instance let's go with some modern NOW anime/manga. Naruto and One Piece you damn well know could be fleshed out as some outright fantastic console based 3D (cel shaded or not) adventure games. What do we get though? Fighting games, and in the case of Naruto basically I think 1 a year for the past 5-6years! One Piece has a few fighters and one adventure that plays well, so at least they tried. And then you get Yugioh. Yes they use cards and crap to battle, but why only make a card battler? Again it could have a really rich world as a 3D adventure title where you find, earn, and swap cards in game in some format too.

I hate these have no diversity and just the same narrow minded crap. I get fighters work, but they don't change much (or the card battlers) to justify a release other thank milking cash (like Madden for 20years now.)

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Surprised nobody mentioned this yet: CPU cars ramming you in racing games. This isn't so bad if it's a 1v1 race, like in an Initial D game, but if there are a ton of cars and they continuously ram you, then things get really gay really fast. It gets even worse in a game like Ridge Racer, where you have to do many complicated drifts in a row on the higher difficulties while enemy cars are having their way with you.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I must have quite a lot of these, but there's one that stands out the most:

1 - DO NOT WASTE MY GODDAMN TIME. (mostly guilty in RPGs)
I'm not a big fan of loooong games, and generally run away from them, but I've finished a couple of 60~100 hours games because they were still fun. But there are RPGs out there that could barely hold water for a 20h experience, yet drag along for 50, 60, 100 goddamn hours. No way, Jose - get the HELL out of mah office!

I hate this narrow-minded thought of "the longer = the better". Wish they'd get rid of this trash soon enough.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
1) Annoying enemies that never go away. Not major bosses but minor creatures which don't do anything except annoy the fuck out of you. I'm looking at you, headcrabs.

2) Arbtritary stealth sections which break the flow of the game.

3) Crappy vehicle handling. WHen I drive from point A to B, I don't want to do it in a vehicle that spins out on every turn and feels like its made of air. How difficult can it be to implement vehicles properly?

4) Deceptively linear gameplay when a game advertises itself on being open.

5) Retardedly identical level design to the point that you get lost and wonder if you're not just walking in circles.

6) AI. Any game which requires me to have AI teammates, even when the game mode isn't really co-op will screw me over somehow. push me out of cover in COD, jump ahead of me so I accidentally incap them in l4d, do nothing but hang back and watch me get brutally raped in GOW2, get stuck behind lampposts when they should be following me in GTA4... I'm not even asking for the AI to be good, or even decent. I'm asking for an AI which doesn't act more retarded than a 3 year old buttonmashing a controller.

7) Having an enjoyable campaign ending with a pushover for a final boss.

8) Ambigious endings so they can milk the franchise. Especially when that ending is only put there for the sake of having a sequel rather than finishing up a story. YES YOU, PRINCE OF PERSIA! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Quick save only/no saves whatsoever in dungeons.
No-choice plot circumstances (Mother 3 - Lucas STANDS there while the mysterious commander takes five minutes to arrive from his ship and pull out the needle)
Inventory limit/nonstacking items (only for a handful of recent RPGs, and a bit for older ones too)
Unbeatable plot armor enemies that take you a while to realize that it's unbeatable
Unreasonable missables
Ridiculous drop rates
Stronger enemy territories with no indication (world map for example)

Radiopools

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This list is funny. Most of the things that people complain about are what make RPGs..well..RPGs!

The one thing that's always bothered me about RPGs..is the fact that you can just walk into someone's house, take their stuff..and then engage in small talk with the people who live in that house! If someone came into my house without my permission and stole my potions, I'd have a little more to say than "hay, nice weather. Terrible cliche event has happened, i hope SOMEONEHINTHINTYOU'REPROBABLYTHEHERO will save us."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1