Top 10 worst moments in games

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, another one forgot: fucking savestates. Pain in my ass in WRPGs. Like recently I've been playing Skyrim and you'll get relatively far only to be insta-killed by giant. And playing the Xbox version means I can't quicksave. I've had the same issue with Dragon Age (both 1 and 2), Fallout 3/New Vegas, Oblivion, etc. I love WRPGs but c'mon, get a better save system.

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's see...

10. hitting all bad endings one after another in 999.
9. UT3's forced way of cramming a "story" in an online-oriented FPS. More specifically the pickup line "they're not flags; they're Field LAtency Generators" when the characters somehow want to make you believe you're fighting a war, even though you're really playing capture the flag.
8. somewhat similar: its ending. After wrecking havoc and destroying half of a planet, you're suddenly surrounded after the final boss fight. And it can only be because some guy betrayed you for no reason whatsoever.
7. eye of the beholder, the legend of temple darkmoon. You encounter a prisoner pretty early in the game, who joins your party. Unfortunately, the first time you rest after that, he runs off with everything you give him. Result: totally restart the game as I failed to save beforehand.
6. kinda similar: not having enough savegames in commando's 1. Saved one second before a guy got discovered -> had to play the whole level anew.
5. when one of (or thé) last boss in final fantasy 7 or 8 simply destroys you in one hit because she took all your stuff and you didn't spend enough time with that stupid card minigame thingy.
4. starcraft 2 not allowing you to singleplayer when your internet is down (I hope that is fixed by now, but I fear the opposite).
3. Bulletstorm. The final boss (or pretty much the ONLY boss) is a stupid series of quick time events
2. Unreal 2 has nothing to do with Unreal. Nothing
1. UT3's interface. Horrible, unintuitive, unfinished, and worst of all: not even a half-decent way to search for a server (I could only bump into my own clanmates on accident).

Hmm...when reading other people's opinions, I see I could have mentioned non-game specific things as well. I could probably come up with such a list as well, but those are mostly gaming trends rather than moments.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10. Melee fags start ganging up on you.
9. Your grenade flys through the window perfectly and smoothly, and it bounces off the crate right back out the window and lands beside you.
8. Mic Spam.
7. When you realize that if you keep playing your favorite game it stops being fun.
6. Building a sentry/building a cannon/making a trap/disarming some weapon or capture point then that ONE FUCKING BULLET/ARROW HITS you and you instantly die, just as your about to finish.
5. LAG KILLS!!!
4. AI accidentally pushes you off the edge of a cliff/ lava pit/ spike trap.
3. Dieing for the 20th Freaking time in a hard boss fight before you realize you can just skip it.
2. Lining up the perfect headshot set to kill 6 or 7 guys in a group when you lag, they see you and blast you sky high.
1.Your battery dies in the middle of the LAST BOSS JUST AS YOUR ABOUT TO BEAT HIM.

Ravte

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
9. "Fake difficulty". Basically games that give you "fake difficulty" to make your game more "challenging". Read more here.

Anyone else ran into a puzzle which solution you could figure out with a glance, but instead you go all "Nah, it can't be THAT simple."
And then you waste the next 5 minutes trying to go the harder way, untill finally giving up and going "For christ sake, this game is trolling me on a whole new level."

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
9. "Fake difficulty". Basically games that give you "fake difficulty" to make your game more "challenging". Read more here.

Anyone else ran into a puzzle which solution you could figure out with a glance, but instead you go all "Nah, it can't be THAT simple."
And then you waste the next 5 minutes trying to go the harder way, untill finally giving up and going "For christ sake, this game is trolling me on a whole new level."
I ran into a puzzle on a game where the question was so messed up that all the possible answers were wrong.

I was going for 100%, too.

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can't think of 10 moments but I hate it when I'm fighting a really hard boss and use all of my items and stuff to stay alive, and it ends up with me supposed to be dying anyway to continue the story. The Tales series come to mind, wasted half of my inventory more than once :nayps3:

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The ending for Terranigma... it was so sad I never played it again :(

1. That happened to me too, but I'm considering in playing it again because I don't remember much of the game :P.
2. When you want to play a game series completely but you lack one of the consoles (KH...)
3. Long and impossible to skip cutscenes...
4. Random battles every 3-4 steps or when you are about to get to a safe point
5. Saving and then forgetting what you were doing when you load (usually when I save and then sleep)
6. Games with multple ending and only 1/XX is the good one.
7. Using all your goods with an inmortal guy you were supposed to die at 1 hit... and then when you restart discover you didn't save in the last save point...
8. When a character dies and then you discover you can't revive it and you already saved (yes, I have bad luck when saving :()

Can't think of more right now, but those are the most common to me.

D

Deleted-236924

1.Your battery dies in the middle of the LAST BOSS JUST AS YOUR ABOUT TO BEAT HIM.
I don't know about you, but...
When I'm right about to beat a boss, I never say I'm in the middle of a boss.
Just sayin'

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1.When you did something that would cause you to either get the bad ending or not get best items in the game then saved it and found yourself wanting to repeat the whole game.

2.Your on your last life then you see that item you could use to recover but then an enemy appears makes you lose.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
1. Batteries dying, either in handhelds or controllers/wireless keyboards/mice. Bonus points if there is no warning before this happens (common problem with wireless keyboards/mice :glare:)
2. Needing to spend 9000 hours looking for the next damn save point before you can go to bed/go out.
3. One game corrupting your entire memory card losing ALL your saves for ALL your games :@ - and then finding out it's a KNOWN problem!
4. Being fairly good at a game and spending a good hour trying to defeat an unusually hard boss - only to find you're meant to be defeated and there is no way to win this fight, Bonus points if you used all your items/potions etc during the fight and it auto saves afterwards...
5. Goddamned Bats
6. Game breaking bugs / glitches.
7. Hackers
8. Mic Spam
9. Pro players stomping new players, especially if they're purposefully playing in "new players" servers, or creating new accounts just to have a low level character.
10. Abrupt endings, "Wait i've just wasted 20 hours playing this game and i essentially get no ending just because you hope to sell me another game? Fuuuuu"

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
From a friend, I learned that LittleBigPlanet 2 has 50+ separate tutorials for the level editor, all of which you must load into different levels to see. She says it takes around 1-2 minutes to get through each tutorial if she skips everything.

Just seeing that long of a list would make me want to ragequit, especially if you HAVE to view these tutorials to get all of the features unlocked for whatever the tutorial's for.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Another moment i hate is this, When you're playing a Non-translated Japanese game and a begginer at Reading the words... and the Characters are apparently talking bullshit..

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
1) My dad deleting my Terranigma save when i was about 1hour away from finishing the game the first time i had ever played it
2) Playing an RPG thinking you can get away with not saving before the next area and then dieing and re-loading a save from 3-4 hours ago
3) Seing an error message come up when trying to run a pc game for the first time
4) My friend starting a new game on pokemon red and saving it
5) Hearing "Stars" on resident evil 3 when i have very little health and ammo
6) Playing superman on the N64
7) Not playing diablo 2 for a while and coming back to find your uber level 80 character has expired the timelimit
8) Completing super metroid on hard mode
9) Playing the final dungeon in .hack// quarantine
10) Hearing the hiss of a creeper inside your house on minecraft

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
1. Having a game throw in everything that should have been absolutely epic, but still feeling completely let down *cough*otherM*cough*
2. Getting to the end of your second playthrough (having played with the specific purpose of attaining all of the remaining SP achievements) only to find you missed ONE of the collectible items, etc. (missed a PttP station in BioShock 2) so you have to play the entire game through again just for that.
3. "Interactive cutscenes"
4. "Security" updates that just remove modding capabilities (I mean legit mods, not cheating)
5. Repeatedly having to fight the same useless boss over and over (Skyward Sword...)

dunno... can't think of more right now...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Random "bad moments":

-getting advertisements for the xbox version of the game while you're installing the PC version (seriously...wtf, bulletstorm?).
-puzzle games where you think of a perfectly working solution but the game won't let you execute it because the developers haven't thought of it (it usually involves me having to cut a rope or having to open something, but it has to be with that AND ONLY THAT knife or crowbar).
-unskippable dialogue. Especially in games that aren't bought for their story element to begin with (like just about any FPS or RTS ever).
-the feeling of helplessness. Pretty much every friggin' game nowadays has some sort of power-up/level-up system, or at least extra abilities/items to gain. Balancing this out is a bit wonky, as with most RPG's I run around with a creeping feeling I'm not playing correctly as I don't know what the fuck I'm carrying...and on the other side, you sometimes have situations that seem incredibly hard because nobody told you to use weapon/item/ability in this or that way.
-poorly optimized game experience/video card demos. This is my main reason I stepped away from PC games: from more and more games, I started to get the feeling they just wanted an excuse to make me buy a more powerful PC. At least with a console you know in advance the game will actually be playable without PC tweaks.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
-poorly optimized game experience/video card demos. This is my main reason I stepped away from PC games: from more and more games, I started to get the feeling they just wanted an excuse to make me buy a more powerful PC. At least with a console you know in advance the game will actually be playable without PC tweaks.
Or when the demo of a game says you don't meet the requirements and won't let you play, but the full game says you do and you get to play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land