Homebrew Top 10 Wii homebrew applications?

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey

Im wondering what are in your opinion the top 10 homebrew applications. Let me clearify what I mean by applications:

Applications: MPlayer CE, NeoGamma....
Non applications: The Homebrew Channel, Preloader....

I hope it clears up exactly what Im asking for. Thank you
smile.gif

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
10) WiiDoom
9) Wolfenstein 3-D
8) DOSBox
7) Scumm VM
6) Visual Boy Advance
5) WadManager 1.5(mod)
4) MPlayer_CE
3) USB Loader (coverfloader, NeoGamma)
2) FTPii
1) Homebrew Browser

It was a hard call for 1 and 2, since I use both quite frequently. Thanks to HBB allowing you to update your current apps, it takes the win, for me at least.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Non applications: The Homebrew Channel, Preloader....

With Preloader considered a 'non-application', I also assumed BootMii and StartPatch are on that list... I am not big into emulators, as I've played all the games on those consoles that I've wanted to. Not that I need to justify my explanations for top 10.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
illinialex24 said:
No bootmii in there, no Startpatch? No VBA GX, no SNES GX, including Wii Doom? No way lol
Eddie_Brock said:
QUOTENon applications: The Homebrew Channel, Preloader....

With Preloader considered a 'non-application', I also assumed BootMii and StartPatch are on that list... I am not big into emulators, as I've played all the games on those consoles that I've wanted to. Not that I need to justify my explanations for top 10.
Exacrly: BootMii, StartPatch, Preloader, etc are NOT considered applications in this thread.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(11)UsbloaderGX 'most convinient with 500games installed, does Ocarina ..downloads,updates, ..whatever
(10) duck hunt 'comeon you can shoot the dog finaly'
(9) cIOS_usb2 & Custom IOS38 rev 14 , with WAD Manager v1.5
(8) BootMii Configuration Editor for simplicity
(7) WiiEarth 'for the old folks showing off where they been'
(6) SD Explorer
(5) Super Mario War Wii 'felt wrong playing on an XBOX and better now N E way
(4) HideandSeek incomplete without...(#3)
(3) Crazy intro 'once you get the hang of it it rules... for quick load apps and to show off to your friends'
(2) NEOgamma
(1) UsbloaderGX 'most convinient with 500games installed' had to say it 2wice

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markehmus said:
(11)UsbloaderGX 'most convinient with 500games installed, does Ocarina ..downloads,updates, ..whatever
(10) duck hunt 'comeon you can shoot the dog finaly'
(9) cIOS_usb2 & Custom IOS38 rev 14 , with WAD Manager v1.5
(8) BootMii Configuration Editor for simplicity
(7) WiiEarth 'for the old folks showing off where they been'
(6) SD Explorer
(5) Super Mario War Wii 'felt wrong playing on an XBOX and better now N E way
(4) HideandSeek incomplete without...(#3)
(3) Crazy intro 'once you get the hang of it it rules... for quick load apps and to show off to your friends'
(2) NEOgamma
(1) UsbloaderGX 'most convinient with 500games installed' had to say it 2wice
9 is not valid for this thread (just giving more examples)

BTW You can't have 500 games installed....
2TB (theory) = 2048 GB / 4.37 GB = 468 games
2TB (real life) = ~2000 GB / 4.37 GB = 457 games

So as of right now markenhmus it is impossible to have on a HDD 500 games

pembo

Trophies
XP
Country
riahc3 said:

your logic would be correct if every wii game was DVD sized, however, they aren't. Wii Sports for example is tiny.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
pembo said:
riahc3 said:

your logic would be correct if every wii game was DVD sized, however, they aren't. Wii Sports for example is tiny.

Indeed. I can't remember who said it, but it has been claimed that the average game size is around 1.8GBytes (if i remember correctly).
USB loaders/WBFS managers don't dump the entire 4.37 GB of data, they only dump the important partitions of games.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pembo said:
riahc3 said:

OSW said:
pembo said:
QUOTE(riahc3 @ Aug 3 2009, 02:06 PM)

Indeed. I can't remember who said it, but it has been claimed that the average game size is around 1.8GBytes (if i remember correctly).
USB loaders/WBFS managers don't dump the entire 4.37 GB of data, they only dump the important partitions of games.

I have been gone for a while (I came here and left here while Wii was on 3.3) and I believe back in the day all Wii games HAD to be 4.37 GB (and the exact number of bytes) in order to run. My apoligies.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lecture.gif
school time ....play and learn is my mindset...even if i brick life goes on ...thats the only way i get to learn ...being ancient like i am and all...haha

riahc3 said:
9 is not valid for this thread (just giving more examples) sorry but they were apps i used in HBC, that went hand in hand

2TB (real life) = ~2000 GB / 4.37 GB = 457 games there are a few wii games that will install in 18sec using USBloaders and are fully playable

usbloader gx(whatever loader , i tried, for that matter)wont recognize more the 500games and willl not allow additions only delete and replace
lecture.gif
teach me otherwise there is more rooom available

1TB Westerndigital harddrive(HD) in a Velocity enclosure, tried not to reapeat a game from another region so all games would be different on the HD
but AerosmithGuitarhero and Megadeth Guitarhero both show as Areosmith (till you changed the title and pic of course for customs)

if the HD wasnt partitioned 1st , 40-50GB of free space is left which would be nice for usbloader picks ,cheats,HBC apps...whatevr
time to buy another and partition it and swap over

now WAITING to get wad play from HD/SD so Wiiware and VC could be left in the 1st partition of HD and played from wad without install to wii memory...sux its always full

Some games under 0.25GB:
(stoping at the letter D, i dont have all day)
-=-=-=-
1.) anubis2 .12gb ....40sec copied from disc in usbloader gx
2.) arctic tale .22gb
3.) ballon pop .08gb ......DUI haha, two games are that i've found like that, too small to fit in a shot glass
4.) billy the wiz .11gb
5.) bomberman .19gb
6.) burgerisland .14gb
7.) brunswick bowling .19gb
8.) chicken shoot forgot but is under.25gb
9.) crayola colorful world .23gb
10.) deca sporta (japanese) with patch to english installed ....havent bought the english version yet
11.) destiny of zorro .2gb

mostly kids games ... i have many kids!
most games from the scrub list are the multirar scrub size, when they game is trasnfered onto WBFS
( here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii...Game_Sizes_List and here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=76260 )

not many games i actualy play get close to 4gb and few are the full dvd
EVEN...SSBB as the only dvd9 ive found , can be brought down to dvd with a few clicks here at GBATEMP

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
markehmus said:
lecture.gif
school time ....play and learn is my mindset...even if i brick life goes on ...thats the only way i get to learn ...being ancient like i am and all...haha

riahc3 said:
9 is not valid for this thread (just giving more examples) sorry but they were apps i used in HBC, that went hand in hand

2TB (real life) = ~2000 GB / 4.37 GB = 457 games there are a few wii games that will install in 18sec using USBloaders and are fully playable

usbloader gx(whatever loader , i tried, for that matter)wont recognize more the 500games and willl not allow additions only delete and replace
lecture.gif
teach me otherwise there is more rooom available

1TB Westerndigital harddrive(HD) in a Velocity enclosure, tried not to reapeat a game from another region so all games would be different on the HD
but AerosmithGuitarhero and Megadeth Guitarhero both show as Areosmith (till you changed the title and pic of course for customs)

if the HD wasnt partitioned 1st , 40-50GB of free space is left which would be nice for usbloader picks ,cheats,HBC apps...whatevr
time to buy another and partition it and swap over

now WAITING to get wad play from HD/SD so Wiiware and VC could be left in the 1st partition of HD and played from wad without install to wii memory...sux its always full

Some games under 0.25GB:
(stoping at the letter D, i dont have all day)
-=-=-=-
1.) anubis2 .12gb ....40sec copied from disc in usbloader gx
2.) arctic tale .22gb
3.) ballon pop .08gb ......DUI haha, two games are that i've found like that, too small to fit in a shot glass
4.) billy the wiz .11gb
5.) bomberman .19gb
6.) burgerisland .14gb
7.) brunswick bowling .19gb
8.) chicken shoot forgot but is under.25gb
9.) crayola colorful world .23gb
10.) deca sporta (japanese) with patch to english installed ....havent bought the english version yet
11.) destiny of zorro .2gb

mostly kids games ... i have many kids!
most games from the scrub list are the multirar scrub size, when they game is trasnfered onto WBFS
( here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii...Game_Sizes_List and here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=76260 )

not many games i actualy play get close to 4gb and few are the full dvd
EVEN...SSBB as the only dvd9 ive found , can be brought down to dvd with a few clicks here at GBATEMP

I do not understand your VERY (and I mean VERY) poor english. Ill comment on what I did understand...

Installing cIOS USB for USB 2.0 support is not considered a application in this thread. In this thead (Ive repeated it so following posters will understand)

What does install time (which isnt install time; It is simply transfering everything on a Wii DVD to a USB HDD) have to do with how many games can fit in a 2TB HDD?

Why, if the loaders that you tried didnt support displaying more than 500 games, did you post that a loader with 500 games was a great application?

Those games you listed from a to d are not games; They are homebrew applications which has a function to act as a game. These, if you want to include them in your top 10, ARE homebrew applications.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
riahc3 said:
I do not understand your VERY (and I mean VERY) poor english. Ill comment on what I did understand...

Installing cIOS USB for USB 2.0 support is not considered a application in this thread. In this thead (Ive repeated it so following posters will understand)

What does install time (which isnt install time; It is simply transfering everything on a Wii DVD to a USB HDD) have to do with how many games can fit in a 2TB HDD?

Why, if the loaders that you tried didnt support displaying more than 500 games, did you post that a loader with 500 games was a great application?

Those games you listed from a to d are not games; They are homebrew applications which has a function to act as a game. These, if you want to include them in your top 10, ARE homebrew applications.

Technically, most of the main IOS's can be considered applications because they are installed by one. Wanin's cIOS Installer, Wiigators mIOS patcher, etc. They all let your Wii do something it couldn't do before.

He is mentioning install time because if you put in a retail copy of say Crayola Colorful World, it only takes 18 seconds to rip it to the HD using USB Loader GX, because the actual game is only 230mb and the rest of the 4.7 GB of 'data' on the disc is filler that is scrubbed out. You know the 'install game' option in USB Loader GX?

I fail to understand you here. Is an application like USB Loader GX, which is capable of launching up to 500 games from a partition not a great application? IMO the USB loaders are probably the greatest homebrew apps available for the Wii ... by far.

All those games he listed are retail Wii titles, that scrub down to very small sizes. They are not homebrew. I have most of them and can confirm the sizes.

Why don't you read up on what's possible and what's available before you start arguing with people. It makes you look foolish.

I really wouldn't make comments on his english, when you seem to have a serious comprehension problem yourself.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
Technically,
Yes, I am aware that technically they are applications. But if you read thru the thread, you will understand why they are not homebrew applications.

Retrievil said:
I fail to understand you here. Is an application like USB Loader GX, which is capable of launching up to 500 games from a partition not a great application? IMO the USB loaders are probably the greatest homebrew apps available for the Wii ... by far.
I don't think I said that USBLGX wasnt a application in this thread.

And yes, I just checked. I never said it was not a application. Do not put words in my mouth....

Posts merged

Retrievil said:
All those games he listed are retail Wii titles, that scrub down to very small sizes. They are not homebrew. I have most of them and can confirm the sizes.
My mistake. They are indeed retail titles. Like I said, I thought they all had to be 4.37 as I come from the scene way back were things were different.

Retrievil said:
I really wouldn't make comments on his english, when you seem to have a serious comprehension problem yourself.
QUOTE(Retrievil @ Aug 5 2009, 03:53 AM)
I don't think I said that USBLGX wasnt a application in this thread.
Look who's talking....

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Retrievil, thanx for clarifying
...i may be hard to understand,sorry.

and yes i believe even if the usbloader only loaded 1 game instead of 500, it would still be about the KOOLest thing going

freddy1023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Retrievil said:
riahc3 said:

Technically, most of the main IOS's can be considered applications because they are installed by one. Wanin's cIOS Installer, Wiigators mIOS patcher, etc. They all let your Wii do something it couldn't do before.

He is mentioning install time because if you put in a retail copy of say Crayola Colorful World, it only takes 18 seconds to rip it to the HD using USB Loader GX, because the actual game is only 230mb and the rest of the 4.7 GB of 'data' on the disc is filler that is scrubbed out. You know the 'install game' option in USB Loader GX?

Why don't you read up on what's possible and what's available before you start arguing with people. It makes you look foolish.

Ahahahaha I could not stop laughing at this...
"I really wouldn't make comments on his english, when you seem to have a serious comprehension problem yourself." ahahahahahahah sorry but... ahahahahah that was so funny ahahahahahah

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cIOSCorp is dirty, not neat, and shouldn't be on any top 10 lists. My two pennies.

I'd throw WiiXplorer on the list, though. It's simple sd/usb/smb browsing is a sure fit on my Wii, deleted SDExplorer the moment I discovered it.

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. GeexBox
2. Configurable USB Loader
3. Homebrew Browser
4. WAD Manager
5. DragonMedia Player
6. WiiRadio (shoutcast server player)
7. FCE Ultra (NES Emulator)
8. SNES 9x GX (SNES Emulator)
9. AnyTitleDeleter
10. GuitarsOnFire (when it gets better)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh