Hacking [Tool] Joy-Con Toolkit

Hario337

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The point is you made something not allowed by Nintendo, so they can ban you.
They can but what would be the point? And like I said newer joycons that might not be registered in the system could get you banned so it would be banning people who did nothing wrong, and really changing the colours of the joycons isnt really effecting them so they wouldn't have a reason to.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
They can but what would be the point? And like I said newer joycons that might not be registered in the system could get you banned so it would be banning people who did nothing wrong, and really changing the colours of the joycons isnt really effecting them so they wouldn't have a reason to.

I know there are no particular reason, but we're talking about Nintendo here !
And, if they check the colors online, older firmware can't go online so there is no risk for them (at least, if I am right, my Switch is always up to date)

Hario337

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are no particular reason, but we're talking about Nintendo here !
And, if they check the colors online, older firmware can't go online so there is no risk for them (at least, if I am right, my Switch is always up to date)
well point is nintendo doesn't ban people for this.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The point is you made something not allowed by Nintendo, so they can ban you.
Assuming you have a 3rd party controller that reports whatever it wants for colors, etc or a 1st party modified controller and Nintendo bans you for abnormal controller info:

This banning action is illegal in most countries. Doesn't matter what EULA or contract you sign. It's not above the law.

The banning is legal though, if you change the console itself.

Reactions: JoFelix

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
well point is nintendo doesn't ban people for this.

You can't be sure ^^ (Me neither)

Assuming you have a 3rd party controller that reports whatever it wants for colors, etc or a 1st party modified controller and Nintendo bans you for abnormal controller info:

This banning action is illegal in most countries. Doesn't matter what EULA or contract you sign. It's not above the law.

The banning is legal though, if you change the console itself.

Well, I think they still can do it. 3rd party docks already break the Switch, Nintendo doesn't seem to like 3rd party accessories

Hario337

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't be sure ^^ (Me neither)

Well, I think they still can do it. 3rd party docks already break the Switch, Nintendo doesn't seem to like 3rd party accessories
I don't think the docks breaking the switch is nintendo trying to stop people using it, probably just a technical bug coming from some new firmware, and they have endorsed 3rd party pro controllers (which sometimes show up as full black or white mind you) and that new D-pad joycon (which I will be mad if it DOESN'T show up as it's custom blue)

Also using a custom colour for over a month now and regularly playing splatoon is pretty good reason to be sure

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I don't think the docks breaking the switch is nintendo trying to stop people using it, probably just a technical bug coming from some new firmware, and they have endorsed 3rd party pro controllers (which sometimes show up as full black or white mind you) and that new D-pad joycon (which I will be mad if it DOESN'T show up as it's custom blue)

Also using a custom colour for over a month now and regularly playing splatoon is pretty good reason to be sure

I know they didn't do anything, and I'm sure they will not do anything at least in the near future. But I think the risk is still above zero :)

Rickardoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Not yet. (at least a legal app, that does not come from illegitimate sources)
2) Can no post hyperlink
3) Not yet. Probably in the future. The controller supports full read/writes. But we haven't decoded this yet.

You probably use a non-supported Bluetooth stack.
You need to change the bluetooth drivers to the Microsoft bluetooth drivers (Generic Bluetooth Radio/Adapter)

Thank you for your reply!

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know they didn't do anything, and I'm sure they will not do anything at least in the near future. But I think the risk is still above zero :)
The 3rd party docks bricking Switches was simply a compatibility issue with the USB-C connection, nothing more. Some people had there Switch get bricked by the same 3rd party docks before the 5.0.0 update came out. All that update did was make the problem more obvious. Nintendo did not change the firmware to make 3rd party docks brick the system.
Video Source:
Video Source:

Now, about being banned for changing the controller color... I'm not going to say it's impossible, however, I would say it is very unlikely. Things like that, as well as what I mentioned before, have been slowly being dealt with by new laws being past to protect consumers. For example, there was a ruling recently by the FTC that stated that if you use 3rd party accessories, or open your console, you are still covered under the original warranty that your system came with, as long as it has not expired.
Video Source:
People are also able to legally mod any hardware that they have bought, without backlash from the manufacture.
Video Source:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Decoding the communication protocol for NFC will let us use the controller with a TagMo-like app.

I plan on having a full nfc tools suite when we manage that
When you make the NFC Tools app, do you think it will be possible to use a Switch Pro controller or Switch Joy-Con to write an Amiibo to a blank NFC tag, or will it be limited to only what we can do in game?

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When you make the NFC Tools app, do you think it will be possible to use a Switch Pro controller or Switch Joy-Con to write an Amiibo to a blank NFC tag, or will it be limited to only what we can do in game?

The NFC capabilities of both joy-con and pro-con are full.
That means that the protocol let you do whatever you want, like having an NFC adapter writer/reader or a NFC capable smartphone.

EDIT:
Oh, btw I forgot.
I have a new version ready in GitHub releases for anyone that doesn't want to wait.
Especially if you have drifting issues and Switch's stick calibration in settings does not help, check it out.
I don't have time for now to update OP..

Last edited by CTCaer,
Reactions: Kumoashi

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just saying thanks, I successfully changed the colour of my new joy-con yesterday after installing it in its green d-pad shell.

Also for anyone's future reference, it worked fine on my MacBook Air running Windows 7 in Boot Camp, using Apple's Bluetooth driver (I actually had to roll back the driver to an older version for Bluetooth to work at all, the latest version had a yellow triangle in device manager and an error message about the driver not being signed, but once Bluetooth itself was working, the app worked first time).

Reactions: CTCaer

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is it possible to make the joycon act like an amiibo ? Not writing to tags

No and Yes.

No, because emulation is not supported and we don't have raw access to the NFC IC, but the MCU that controls it. So we have to play under its protocol.
Yes, if we create a custom MCU fw and flash it.

Fun fact: The right joy-con and pro con have 2 fw.
One for the SoC (Bluetooth baseband) and one for the MCU that controls the NFC IC inside it and the IR sensor.
In update 4.0.0 and 5.0.0, that's the reason the update of right joy-con takes way longer.

Last edited by CTCaer,

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
No and Yes.

No, because emulation is not supported and we don't have raw access to the NFC IC, but the MCU that controls it. So we have to play under it's protocol.
Yes, if we create a custom MCU fw and flash it.

Fun fact: The right joy-con and pro con have 2 fw.
One for the SoC (Bluetooth baseband) and one for the MCU that controls the NFC IC inside it and the IR sensor.
In update 4.0.0 and 5.0.0, that's the reason the update of right joy-con takes way longer.

Thank you ^^
I know it wouldn't be very useful but I just wanted to know if it can act as a tag ^^

Rempa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Ok, i used a few moths ago this software to modify my joycon's color.
But now, i've turned it back to it's original.
But i got a problem with my left joy-con's analog stick.

Can i send it back to nintendo safely or can they detect that i've done that in the past (even if it is not linked at all with my issue) ?
Sorry if the question has already be asked

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok, i used a few moths ago this software to modify my joycon's color.
But now, i've turned it back to it's original.
But i got a problem with my left joy-con's analog stick.

Can i send it back to nintendo safely or can they detect that i've done that in the past (even if it is not linked at all with my issue) ?
Sorry if the question has already be asked

If you only did a color change and then changed it back, you are ready to go.

Rempa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Oh, and i also triggered the easter eggs that play mario musics with hd rumble, but believe it doesn't writes anything to the joycon's memory...
But i noticed there are a few bytes that are different between the spi I backed up before I changed the color and the one I backed up after I changed it back to its original color (they are all between adress 2002 and adress 203F in the spi files), is it normal ?

And are there other thing i could have done but not remembered with joy-con toolkit that could be problematic or not ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here