Tomadachi Life won't load???

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Edster, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Edster
    OP

Edster GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2006
    United States
    Is there a trick to load this game on Gateway. I have the latest 2.3b launcher file. I updated my 3DS and all previous games work fine but this title just sits at the 3DS logo and never loads. I tried another rip and it does the exact same thing. I have a Class 4 SD card in my 3DS. I read that some cards should be Class 10 but then why do all the other games work? :wacko:

2. Jamesst20

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States
    Keed in mind this game is a CARD2 type which means the savegame is saved in the rom itself so if you trimmed it, it wont work.

3. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Don't trim the file.

4. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    It took what seemed like forever for it to load the first time, for me at least.

5. Edster
    OP

Edster GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2006
    United States
    I don't think it is trimmed. Maybe I need to wait for it. I left it for 5 min and thought it was dead but the lights to blink. Thought it was stuck in a loop. I'll try again and post result.
    Thanks

6. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Try a different rom? it might be a bad dump.

7. Iwata

Iwata Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2007
    Canada
    I had this problem too -- the thing is you have to backup everything from your internal 3DS SD card (make sure you have a backup of your NAND too), use the Gateway menu to format Emunand, boot into Gateway mode, make sure that there is a "GW3D" before the firmware version in your settings, and then use an internet connection to update your emunand to the latest firmware.

I had never used emunand, so I had the exact same problem as you, but it's apparently necessary now to play games with the new copy protection.

tbb043 likes this.
  8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah any 7.x encrypted games NEED emunand installed and updated to run

9. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Maybe the universe was trying to tell you to stay away from what essentially is a glorified fishbowl

tbb043 likes this.
  10. Edster
    OP

Edster GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2006
    United States
    Oh that kinda sucks. I didn't wan tot bother with emunand but I guess now i have to. I'll do a tons of reading before I proceed. Thanks for the tip.

11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Tom. Life is a fantastic game when you get stuck into it and worth updating your emunand just to play it in my opinion, I'm enjoying it immensely at the moment and I had no time for it when I read what sort of game it was at first. :)

12. Edster
    OP

Edster GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2006
    United States
    Great success. I updated my Emunand and it works great.

Question. I don't have launcher.dat on my SD card. Do I need it? I am assuming yes for the older games? Also, can I just copy back my old save games onto the SD?

Thanks for your help!

13. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I would recommend having launcher.dat, I didn't even know gateway worked without it.

14. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Not having launcher.dat sounds extremely fishy. Are you sure you didn't accidentally just update your system NAND?

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    he probably just overlooked it as gateway copies itself back on when you format emunand....so maybe he just though "oooh i didn't have to copy it on"

gateway would not work without a launcher file