To avoid being banned, don't install Pinball FX 3

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nincompoopdo, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Nincompoopdo
    OP

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I am finally banned after using CFW for 4 months, all thanks to Pinball FX 3. This game stopped working after I updated to 6.0 firmware, recently I applied the latest 1.04 update to see if it will revived - nope.

The only thing left to do is delete the entire game and install the base game and all the DLC again (with nsp). After I did that, it refused to run until I applied the latest update. After the update is applied it still won't run and showed error messages.

The thing with this game is that it needs to go online after a fresh installation, it happens with my previous installation as well - you have to turn on the wifi and let the game go online and grabbed additional updates from within the game.

However this time something went wrong, I think now it checks if you legitimately owned the DLC - after a few attempts it tells me there are connection issues. I went to the eshop and sure enough: the "2181-4008" message pops up saying my online usage is now restricted by Nintendo.

I just joined the banned club. :grog::toot:

Subtle Demise and NoNAND like this.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I am pretty sure the game had nothing to do with the fact that you got banned and your system was flagged long before installing that game.

3. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    NSP - there is your reason mate.

4. D-Jay

D-Jay High rulez

Jan 23, 2009
    Germany
    Home
    Nope. Played it several times without being banned.

kramer987 likes this.
  5. Nincompoopdo
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I am very sure it's that game. Pinball FX3 is unlike other games on eShop, you need to go online and let it updates within the game or it won't run with DLC installed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Are you on firmware 6.0/6.01 and using the latest 1.04 updates?

6. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    Bans usually happen in waves to stop people working out what exactly gets you baned. Did you have weird errors in your error logs? (Errors with no games associated with it)

7. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    I got banned today too after months of sliding under the radar, all I did was update my OFW to the latest and was banned directly afterwards.. Seems more like a ban wave than it being that specific game imo

8. Nincompoopdo
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    That Pinball game kept giving error when new DLC is installed and it can't connect to their server. Once I let it go online... banned. Only a couple mins earlier I can still access the eshop, right after that game connects online - banned.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think the new firmware is not safe.

peteruk likes this.
  9. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    I love these posts.

before: "i won't get banned, I've been doing it for 'x' months".
    after: "I got banned, it wasn't me doing illegal things, it was something else's fault, Nintendo sucks!"

Need to get a "tiny violin" emoji to play every time something like this gets posted.

Kukielka, -----a, ry755 and 9 others like this.
  10. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    Nope not from me... just a little shocked is all because I never use the thing, it's sits as a dusty book end in my living room :rofl:

I accept my ban, just surprised at the way it happened

kop365, Citrus-Hombre and Alex-Kidd like this.
  11. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Nintendo won't ban anyone immediately and they would probably investigate first an account before they will decide whether to ban you or not. You were probably tagged a long time ago.

12. Nincompoopdo
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Didn't I said I got banned for installing Pinball FX3 nsp? I am warning other users here so they won't commit the same mistake.

Shadowfied, thaikhoa and tbb043 like this.
  13. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    the avoid being banned dont install nsps
    ive been using xci's sx os with stealth mode for 2 months now and no ban

Cava and Absintu like this.
  14. Nincompoopdo
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    This Pinball FX3 game is particularly risky, it wants you to go online and do additional updates within the game or it won't run at all.

If you installed the 6.0 firmware and this game stopped working, delete it and don't try to reinstall it.

Last edited by Nincompoopdo, Oct 11, 2018
  15. GraFfiX420

GraFfiX420 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm running this game on 5.1, with all the dlc, I use a locally hosted switchbru dns server, however, I've only ran this game wth my dns completely down. When I run the game initially, it hits the stored internet connection, and attempts a connection, but throws a dns error, since my dns is down as far as the switch knows. I then cancel, it asks me to connect to another network, I cancel that, the game launches with the dlc.

16. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    I'm actually using NSP's from when they were installable and I'm still not banned. I even use custom themes.

17. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    It was 100% without a doubt pinball's fault. They got Nintendo spies in there, stealing every little bit of info they can get.

Glitchk0ud1001 and Memoir like this.
  18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    On today's episode of "Scapegoat"..

19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    If you had a game with pirated DLC, then let that game connect to the eshop to check for updates... yeah, getting banned isn't too surprising.

Freezerbomb likes this.
  20. Nincompoopdo
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Once you updated to 6.0 firmware, the game will stop working.