Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@corsegers - calm down dude
wink.gif

As far as I am concerned I dare say Sonic sucks. I have never liked him. Not much fun running all the time. I love exploring
biggrin.gif
Anyway - noone mustn't say that Sonic is a crap, but some people can do not like him.

Opinion: Sonic doesn't suck at all. The genesis games were some of the most inovative games of all time.

It's too bad if sonic isn't emulated perfectly on a system as powerful as the GBA. Corners were probably cut in order to get this to market and perhaps the sound wasn't easy to emulate perfectly without sacrificing performance.

In the meantime I'll have to get the old Sega Nomad out where I can play Sonic 1,2 and three without any problems.

Just don't drop it on your foot. That thing is huuuge

It sure is. Maybe I'll use it as a door stop this holiday season instead of a fruit cake.
laugh.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just played Act 1, and I really think you guys are over exaggerating. Sure, sometimes it's a little slow when you jump, but thats all I really noticed. And the sounds seem to be what I remember they were.

plasmatron

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
agreed, this is quite possibly one of the worst games ever. Its tragic. Graphics are good when they are not moving, but the framerate is horrific. And the sound?!?!?! Someone correct me if im wrong but i thought the GBA had better sound than the megadrive so why is it giving me ear cancer?? How the hell did this ever get released?!

The genesis has a AY/YM 2149 chip with 3 voices. And one extra channel for digisamples.
the AY/YM chips are one of the best analog sound chips ever made, It is not as brilliant as the c64s SID chip, but also very autentic chip. Wicked chip !
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
QUOTE said:
I just played Act 1, and I really think you guys are over exaggerating. Sure, sometimes it's a little slow when you jump, but thats all I really noticed. And the sounds seem to be what I remember they were.

I agree.
The game is not THAT bad.
There were tons of bad ports that are craper than this title.

opcode32

powerh8er par excellence
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i only see Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Genesis_USA_GBA-iND on sites. is this a dupe or did TRM just steal and repack this release?
edit: they indeed repacked the -iND release. shame on them.

corsegers

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bolivia
QUOTE said:

I agree.
The game is not THAT bad.
There were tons of bad ports that are craper than this title.

name one ?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Granted, I tried this on VBA, but this is just pitiful. All the negative things that are being said about it are true: the game can't maintain a solid framerate and the audio is well below subpar. I simply don't understand how Sega or Nintendo could have allowed this game to be released; Sega because after they finally get a new 2D Sonic game right with Sonic Rush they've gone and screwed things up again(and oh have they tried, this is clearly ported, not emulated), and Nintendo because they shouldn't be putting the seal of quality on something this bad. If you want a Sonic game, pick anything else(and I mean anything), it'll still be better.

* On a side note, this whole "port 16bit games to the GBA" thing is a stupid idea in the first place. The GBA just can't match the SNES, the cost of which is that we're continuing to get these subpar ports. Someone should have realized this when Donkey Kong Country was ported and had to have its sounds significantly neutered

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a fan of the sonic fanchize , and sonic the hedhehog being the first game I ever possesed on my megadrive (eur genesis) I really feel dissapointed , the character model is way to big , something that wasn't that way in sonic advance , also the framerate sucks , which takes away the oldschool sonic experience , guys , buy sonic megacollection at your local budgetgame store. it should be lying around there for a 15€ or something , which will give you all those great sonic classics playable with the analogue joy stick that makes me like the gamecube so much.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heh, ViRGE - the Nintendo Seal of Quality. It's just a joke these days - have you see the horrendous amount of third party SHLOCK to hit Nintendo systems in the past few years with the Seal of Quality on them?

Sega automatically gets the seal of quality as a poor attempt to keep them valid in the current videogame market. The Sega we once knew and loved is gone.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the fuck? How hard would it be to port this? Jesus my Megadrive emulator on my phone does a nice job why cant a bunch of PROFFESSIONAL developers do the same? Jesus even the mobile version of this game is much better! Such a bloody rip off too, you can get the Sonic Mega Games compilation for 6 sonic game and over 5 others for £20 for PS2, Xbox & GC AND its coming to Wii for alot less.

Suppose to mark the 15th anniversary of Sonic, would've been better to do a nice NDS compilation but nah Sega are a bunch a cunts.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Heh, ViRGE - the Nintendo Seal of Quality. It's just a joke these days - have you see the horrendous amount of third party SHLOCK to hit Nintendo systems in the past few years with the Seal of Quality on them?

Sega automatically gets the seal of quality as a poor attempt to keep them valid in the current videogame market. The Sega we once knew and loved is gone.

But the Nintendo SoQ is a guarantee for a official product, not a fun one.... right?
unsure.gif

SEGA is not dead, Sonic is.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

True.

When I was a little geek, I saw Nintendo and Sega like two wrestling Titans, magnanimous in the video game field.

Maybe I was just young, but I saw that battle going through the years to come. I was wrong:

Sega fell, and now looks like Nintendo let it create crappy games for its old foe.

My nostalgic romantic nerdy toughs.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Granted, I tried this on VBA, but this is just pitiful. All the negative things that are being said about it are true: the game can't maintain a solid framerate and the audio is well below subpar. I simply don't understand how Sega or Nintendo could have allowed this game to be released; Sega because after they finally get a new 2D Sonic game right with Sonic Rush they've gone and screwed things up again(and oh have they tried, this is clearly ported, not emulated), and Nintendo because they shouldn't be putting the seal of quality on something this bad. If you want a Sonic game, pick anything else(and I mean anything), it'll still be better.

* On a side note, this whole "port 16bit games to the GBA" thing is a stupid idea in the first place. The GBA just can't match the SNES, the cost of which is that we're continuing to get these subpar ports. Someone should have realized this when Donkey Kong Country was ported and had to have its sounds significantly neutered

Sound wise, yes, GBA can't come close to SNES because of its way its made. The number of channels for the sound is smaller than the SNES, and its quite noticeable in most of the remakes like FF games and Zelda. Some other games didn't suffer as much soundwise, like SMB remakes and Rock and Roll Racing.

But graphic wise, there's no reason that the GBA wouldn't be able to run them. Genesis had a slightly higher Mhz system than SNES, but it doesn't excuse this completly. The games need to be slightly tweaked to fit the slightly lower screen resolution than the SNES had, which was noticeable in Zelda in a way but worked around nicely. Other games don't suffer, like Rock and Roll Racing because it couldn't be worse than the split screen.

It just seems that they didn't polish this game well enough. But its not the first port in this case. FF4Adv was noticeably poor as far as ports go, especially comparing to the job done on the newly released FF5Adv. This doesn't mean it was utter crap, but it could have been much better. Question is, how does their 'quality control' team of beta-testers actually rate those games and let slip things like these.

As someone said, its possible they simply tried to 'emulate' the Genesis on the GBA instead of recoding it, more or less like they did with the Classic NES series. Emulation can be screwy at times, we all know that from the homebrew works.

corsegers

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bolivia
What the fuck? How hard would it be to port this? Jesus my Megadrive emulator on my phone does a nice job why cant a bunch of PROFFESSIONAL developers do the same? Jesus even the mobile version of this game is much better! Such a bloody rip off too, you can get the Sonic Mega Games compilation for 6 sonic game and over 5 others for £20 for PS2, Xbox & GC AND its coming to Wii for alot less.

Suppose to mark the 15th anniversary of Sonic, would've been better to do a nice NDS compilation but nah Sega are a bunch a cunts.

cunt is not an nice word son

-WARNING-

I HATE YOU ****SONIC TEAM YOU ****ING DESTROYED SONIC WITH YOU 3D CRAP.

AND NOW YOU HAVE RISEN FROM THE CRAP YOU CAME.

AND COME BACK TO RAPE MY SONIC 2D GENISIS SERIES .

**** OFF AND DO NOT EVER EVER EVER TOUCH SONIC 2D AGAIN!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1