Tinfoil.io - Open source?!?!

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Hamdan, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    I can't seem to find where, if they have, on github this version of tinfoil is: tinfoil.io?
    Is it even open-source?

2. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere It just works

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    No
    None of blawars tools tinfoil,lithium,mmlinks and his shit website are open source
    //thread

osaka35 and x65943 like this.
  3. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Oh, wow! Did not know that.

4. blawar
    This message by blawar has been removed from public view by x65943, Jul 23, 2019, Reason: Does not contribute to conversation, one word reply.
    Jul 22, 2019
  5. designgears
    This message by designgears has been removed from public view by x65943, Jul 22, 2019, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 22, 2019
  6. Billy Acuña
    This message by Billy Acuña has been removed from public view by x65943, Jul 23, 2019, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Jul 22, 2019
  7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Don't mean to play devil's advocate here but Incognito is open-source and last I checked is one of blawar's "tools".

Lacius likes this.
  8. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere It just works

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I was highlighting the main tools

x65943 and Draxzelex like this.
  9. Idontknowwhattoputhere
    This message by Idontknowwhattoputhere has been removed from public view by x65943, Jul 22, 2019, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 22, 2019
  10. MythicalData
    This message by MythicalData has been removed from public view by x65943, Jul 22, 2019, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 22, 2019
  11. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    nut is open source too

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I would argue nut is one of my main tools, and is open source.

I could open source the website, but its most T-SQL which few people know or can run here anyway.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

tinfoil's old source was open source: https://github.com/tiliarou/sysnut

Last edited by blawar, Jul 22, 2019
    Lacius likes this.
  12. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    who cares if something is open source or not.

andyhappypants likes this.
  13. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    I couldn’t give two shits either, even if I had the source for anything I wouldn’t know what to do with it, I’m just an end user of most of these tools and they work great.

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    A lot of people do. Some people refuse to use nothing but open source software.

I'm just not one of those people.

andyhappypants likes this.
  15. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Huh, I am probably misunderstanding but wasn't half of the war over sx os on how they refused to open-source their CFW?
    (The other half was probably the refusal to give credit)

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    They illegally violated certain open source requirements when they used other people's software. If they hadn't used other people's software, nobody would have complained about it being closed source.

The other half is the embedded brick code.

osaka35 and Draxzelex like this.
  17. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Ah, ok, Thanks! :)

18. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    There are multiple reasons to care whether a project is open source.

For one, it makes it easier for other people to suggest ways of making the project better. Even if their changes aren't accepted into the main branch, they can still make a fork of it and change it for their own purposes. Of course, there's a downside to this - it makes it easier for companies like Team Xecuter to steal code and use it in their commercial products, like SX OS.

Two, transparency. It allows you to look through the source code and make sure it's not doing anything you don't want it to, like bricking your console or sending your prodinfo off somewhere for somebody else to abuse on Nintendo's servers. Even if you're not a coder, you can skim through a lot of the code and get a pretty good idea of how it works.

Lacius and Hamdan like this.
  19. MasterZoilus

MasterZoilus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2014
    United States
    don't listen to anybody!! The minute you try to please EVERYBODY you are setting yourself up for instant failure. If at least 3 out of 4 people are happy with your work, then that's great, throw yourself a party. Anything higher than that percentage is .... fantastic. And MOST of the people I've seen not just here but doing tuts around youtube and forums and what not, use YOUR stuff. So don't worry about it to much only worry and pay attention to that 75%+ that actually are appreciative, thats your base, everything you do is for THEM! f*k all others.

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I assume there's a good reason it's no longer open source, like preventing TX from stealing it.

MythicalData likes this.
  21. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    Tinfoil / DZ started out open source, then I briefly took the source code down to refactor the repo (the project was originally a sys module installer, but morphed into homebrew hence the name sysnut) and remove copyrighted files (mostly fonts and images). As soon as I took it down, prominent members of this community, including @jakibaki DEMANDED that I re-post the source code because they alleged I used adubbz tinfoil GPL code in my project (I did not, as anyone who browsed the public repo could see). I refused, and the accusations of code theft went on for months. Even GBATEMP staff falsely accused me of violating GPL and deleted / locked my threads, and the only way to prove I wasnt was to publish the code (LOL) or send the code to a GBATEMP mod (LOL). I chose option B and told them all to go fuck themselves, and that now tinfoil / dz will be closed source forever. I stayed true to my word.

The original code is here, where you can see it does not use adubbz code: https://github.com/tiliarou/sysnut

This is why we cant have nice things.

Lacius likes this.
  22. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Woah sysnut, as is background nsp downloading? I have always wondered why that wasn't a feature in tinfoil...

23. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    If software is open source, then the code can be built upon and improved by the community. If it’s closed source, it’s essentially useless once the developer stops developing it. The vast majority of the emulators that you use would not be possible without the open source developments of other projects.

You will care about open source when TX stop developing SX and nobody can do anything to keep developing it.

24. Hamdan
    OP

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Haven't they already stopped developing sx os?

bodefuceta and Lacius like this.
  25. jakibaki

jakibaki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2017
    Germany
    Will you stop spreading lies about me please?
    I was always with you on the point that you don't have to release your source.
    I think it's stupid that you don't but I never said that you have to.