tstwitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Team,

I just got broken into last week, the jerk's stolen three of my Wii's (my son is special needs) and I want them back! I have been asked for serial numbers but I did not write them down when I originally modded the Wii's.

Here is the challenge team:

I have nand.bin backups of all three Wii's
I have bannerbombers of two of the Wii's

Can I pull out of either of these hack files the Wii serial numbers or MAC addresses so I can trace these Wii's and get them back ?

Thanks

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The serial number is saved within this file title\00000001\00000002\data\setting.txt but it is encrypted.
You can use this python script to decrypt it:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
data = open("setting.txt").read()
datao = ""
magic = 0x73B5DBFA
for c in data:
datao += chr(ord(c) ^ (magic&0xff))
magic = (magic31)
open("unsetting.txt","w").write(datao)

Reactions: 2 people

Die Antwoord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting.. would this really work? How would you do it?

And what will you say when you go to their house? "Hi can i have my wii's back?" lol imagine the people's WTF reaction

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And what will you say when you go to their house? "Hi can i have my wii's back?" lol imagine the people's WTF reaction

What would they want with 3 Wii's? To sell them off somehow. Pawn shop I assume, and having the serial number beforehand would help him/police a great deal in finding the Wii's and the thief. My only wonder would be what proof does he have that he owns those Wii's in particular? I can name off a serial number I find on a Wii at a pawn shop, and report it to the police as mine. :/ Good luck on your search.

(I believe pawn shops have to store serial numbers or product somewhere for catalog purposes.)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

He wants the Serial info, because if the jerks in question decide to go to a pawn shop with them, they can be reclaimed by the OP. Also, it could help in apprehending the dude if they get a good enough shot of him on camera trying to pawn the Wiis

Also, to @Devin, pawn shops need to hold the items in question for 6-8 weeks depending on the state/region, and after that, if you try to reclaim an item that has been stolen, the 8 weeks have passed, and you can no longer file a claim.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck with this, and I mean that with no sarcasm. I hate theives. My house was broken into a few weeks ago. They left the Wii but took my TV, 3 laptops, and all my wife's jewelry. I had SNs for a couple of the laptops, but not the TV. I have little hope of getting any of it back. Fortunately insurance should help, but some jewelry was her mother's and is irreplacable.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can easily get the console ID from the NAND dumps by looking at offset 0x21000000 with a hex editor (the console ID is in plaintext at that location). Although it probably won't help the "official" authorities track them down, it might be a good idea to post them here...

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
This is a really great thread. Once you've got the serial numbers, post them here.

And everyone else (including me): Make sure they'll get viral.

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
The serial number is saved within this file title\00000001\00000002\data\setting.txt but it is encrypted.
You can use this python script to decrypt it:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
data = open("setting.txt").read()
datao = ""
magic = 0x73B5DBFA
for c in data:
datao += chr(ord(c) ^ (magic&0xff))
magic = (magic31)
open("unsetting.txt","w").write(datao)
BTW this fully convinced me that you are, in fact, not crediar. Urs would never write anything in Python.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a really great thread. Once you've got the serial numbers, post them here.

What a stupid idea. The police will already check ids in pawn shops etc.

Are you really suggesting that one of the minority of the, maybe 100 people who will ever read this thread will even be from the same city as him, let alone be the person who finds the wii with that serial number. Or that the person who buys the stolen wii will even check the serial or know what it is?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Are you really suggesting that one of the minority of the, maybe 100 people who will ever read this thread will even be from the same city as him, let alone be the person who finds the wii with that serial number. Or that the person who buys the stolen wii will even check the serial or know what it is?
...pawn shops have a legal requirement of checking whether the item is from a legitimate source as they would not get compensation in case it was stolen and its original owner will show up with the Police to collect it. This is why he needs the serial numbers - in case he spots his Wii's somewhere. This is also why he needs to report the theft first, and the serial number is the only distinguishable feature.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really think the police will try that hard anyway? And I think what snikerz is suggesting is spreading the word around, so more than the '100 people that read this post' will have them.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My shit got stolen a while back.gamecube +all gamecube games. 2 Gameboy colors and 2 gameboy advances + all gameboy games. Camcorder, 2 electric guitars and some other shit. Police were of no help and never saw my shit again. I wish you best of luck.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country

...pawn shops have a legal requirement of checking whether the item is from a legitimate source as they would not get compensation in case it was stolen and its original owner will show up with the Police to collect it. This is why he needs the serial numbers - in case he spots his Wii's somewhere. This is also why he needs to report the theft first, and the serial number is the only distinguishable feature.

Yes, that's why literally the first thing I said was that police will check pawn shops. A HERPITY DERP DERP.

I was addressing the way he said "post the serial numbers[,,,] we'll make them go viral". Yeah, this 12 digit number is totally going to go viral!!1!1, and that would be such a useful thing, for everyone on the internet to know a 12 digit number, because they're going to find themselves in possession of that wii AND check its serial AND recognise it as the mighty viral number, or google the number and find that it's gone viral, and then track it to this thread, and get in touch with the OP, and give it back to him. Totally.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was addressing the way he said "post the serial numbers[,,,] we'll make them go viral". Yeah, this 12 digit number is totally going to go viral!!1!1, and that would be such a useful thing, for everyone on the internet to know a 12 digit number, because they're going to find themselves in possession of that wii AND check its serial AND recognise it as the mighty viral number, or google the number and find that it's gone viral, and then track it to this thread, and get in touch with the OP, and give it back to him. Totally.
I see. I understand now, I thought you were talking about how extracting the serials is a bad idea. My apologies.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you have 3 wiis ? (I'm just curious)
why do you find it necessary to point out that your son is special needs ? ( do you think the people here wouldn't help you otherwise )

To the other people here , if you have the serial , would that help in finding out the mac address ?

I hope my first to questions dont come off like I'm being a dick . I just get suspicious of people when I something doesn't smell right.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I kinda doubt the police will check every pawnshop in the area. And even if they find it...can't the shop owner just say that you've been to the store to write down the serial numbers before reporting them as "stolen" to the police?

It's been too long ago since I purchased mine, but I don't think my 'proof of ownership ticket'* contained the serial number of my wii. And that will make proving the wiis are yours rather hard (unless the thieves forgot to reset the memory on those things). So all in all, I wouldn't get my hopes up of ever finding them again.

*you know...that ticket stores give you when you buy stuff...I don't know the correct name (English isn't my mother tongue)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: