Hardware Thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller?

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, i'm disappointed :(
1. they copy the ugly design of an xbox 360 controller :angry:
2. why u no adapt the fu***** GCC D:

flyingsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would people really rather have the right stick below the ABXY buttons, and then have to change layouts every time you switch from GamePad to Pro Controller?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Would people really rather have the right stick below the ABXY buttons, and then have to change layouts every time you switch from GamePad to Pro Controller?
I think they would rather have the right stick below the ABXY buttons, and then never ever use the tablet controller, ever.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
personally, as long as the dpad and the buttons are easier to reach than the sticks on the classic pro controller, im happy with it.

360 bumpers are nice, i like those, might bring us some better break/gas control in mario kart

personally, i'd guess this is just a newly designed classic controller pro, that probably goes into a wiimote and might even be backwards compatible... so yeah, you never know, it might be the best controller you ever had.
might even be better than the gamecube one

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original" when this is literally just the Xbox 360 controller with the analog stick/ABXY pads swapped. But either way the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best ever designed and I could see why they'd copy it.

However, I just feel it's silly to push a peripheral that completely contradicts the whole "controller with a screen" thing. I know it's so you can do multiplayer but it just seems really silly.

take the 360 one and put it on top of a gamecube controller. they have a pretty similar form/size factor, its honestly hard to create controllers that dont look similar to each other, when they follow the trends of recent ergonomics

and when you do create such a new controller, people go like "why would i need a screen in my controller?!"

sorry for the doubleposting

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play a lot of shooters, so I see ABXY hand cramps in my future... I probably won't get it.

flyingsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they would rather have the right stick below the ABXY buttons, and then never ever use the tablet controller, ever.
Oh. Not to be condescending, but that dissapoints me...

But I guess this is Nintendo's way of getting back third party and "hardcore" support, creating a platform that's easy to port 360 games to. I just hope the GamePad is also used to its full potential, and not just by Nintendo.

Just a thought, don't owners of both PS3+360 already have to switch between D-Pad on top and D-Pad on bottom? This is the same thing, just on the other side.

personally, i'd guess this is just a newly designed classic controller pro, that probably goes into a wiimote and might even be backwards compatible...
It's a standalone controller. Notice the four LEDs on the bottom, like on the Wiimote. Backwards compatibility with the Wii is iffy. Theoretically it could "pretend" to be a Wiimote+Classic controller when playing Wii games. Hopefully this is the case.

as for shooters be using the remote and chuck for them.
Agreed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It looks like a 360 controller, which to me isn't a bad thing since that controller fit really comfortably in my hands.
Also YES A REAL CONTROLLER!!!
In case anyone forgot, I hate motion controls and didn't like the WiiU controller, but to see a real controller I made me jump up and down yelling, "Yes! That's what I am talking about Nintendo, a real controller!"

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It looks like a 360 controller, which to me isn't a bad thing since that controller fit really comfortably in my hands.
In case anyone forgot, I hate motion controls and didn't like the WiiU controller, but to see a real controller I made me jump up and down yelling, "Yes! That's what I am talking about Nintendo, a real controller!"
Good news for you since it has it's own power button, many games will be playable on the controller screen only without having the TV turned on, they confirmed this yesterday and said that this will happen if you turn on the system using the TV button on the U controller instead.
There's a big probability that the opposite thing happens when using the pro controller power button instead. Obviously this won't work for games that requires you to use both screens while playing, like mini games for example.

On another note, Guild pointed out it's kinda funny how they make this despite trying to push the new controller, though I imagine it's because they want to have a bigger appeal to the "core" market.

edit: :P

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good news for you since it has it's own power button, many games will be playable on the controller screen only without having the TV turned on, they confirmed this yesterday and said that this will happen if you turn on the system using the TV button on the U controller instead.
There's a big probability that the opposite thing happens when using the pro controller power button instead. Obviously this won't work for games that requires you to use both screens while playing, like mini games for example.

On another note, Guild pointed out it's kinda funny how they make this despite trying to push the new controller, though I imagine it's because they want to have a bigger appeal to the "core" market.

I imagine that the pro controller can be used in conjuntion with the control pad.
For instance managing inventory instead of having the inventory screen on your tv.
No more clutter.
Wealth of control scheme's if you ask me.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

my question is, will this pro controller be included with the console or will you need to purchase it as an add on(something Nintendo loves to do.)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

my question is, will this pro controller be included with the console or will you need to purchase it as an add on(something Nintendo loves to do.)
Separate buy, as said by Iwata

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I am pretty sure Nintendo will find a way around that not having a screen on the controller, who knows right now.
Also I am pretty sure they are announcing this purely based on the diverse fan base. Right now the WiiU works with motion controller, WiiU controller, and the new Pro Controller. It pretty much tackles all the fan bases all at once.

It most likely will not be included with the system.

Nintendo, i'm disappointed :(
1. they copy the ugly design of an xbox 360 controller :angry:
2. why u no adapt the fu***** GCC D:
I actually like the 360 controller. It fits comfortably in my hands and works quite nicely. I am glad they they didn't go with the GC controller. I am also glad they aren't using the classic controller, the classic controller is just so unconformable for me.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Best thing would be two versions one in black including the pro controller and one in white without any extras.

I won't be getting one early unless the black system they showed at the presentation is available at launch.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best thing would be two versions one in black including the pro controller and one in white without any extras.

I won't be getting one early unless the black system they showed at the presentation is available at launch.
Excluding the people who want a black one without the pro?

I may never even get it, unless it force/given to me.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Excluding the people who want a black one without the pro?

I may never even get it, unless it force/given to me.
Nah but it's just an idea to potentially boost sales, like with the different 360 versions or stripped Wii's.
I think a simple black model should come without extras too...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/wCF3ywukQYA?si=6tm165dpnERzPwSX +1