Hardware Thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller?

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wii-U-Pro.jpg

I know some of you saw this coming, i personally think it's pretty sleek; wish it was Gamecube orientation for the second analog/ABXY- but i'll adjust...
Nice to see that it looks rechargeable too.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

Doesn't look bad although I wish the analog placement was more like the 360 controller. I won't be using this, though.

Looks really good. Hopefully it's supported with all games.

This way the "hardcore" gamers don't cry about using the Game Pad.
It obviously won't support all games.

But it should work for all multiplatform titles as they can just use the same control scheme that they're using for the other consoles.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It looks okay (shaped like a 360 controller, though, which is uncomfortable), but I was hoping they'd just continue making stuff backwards-compatible so GC controllers still work on it.

I'm not a fan of buying 3 new controllers every generation for multiplayer and also all new controllers seem to be wireless ones (which annoys the fuck out of me with battery switching or recharging), so it was nice that I could use my old Gamecube controllers for most of the local multiplayer Wii games.

D

Deleted User

I like it because I love how comfortable the xbox controller is, butttttt the buttons look like they would be so awkward to use IMO.

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
After thinking about it, this positioning seems ideal for shooters- 1st or 3rd person- primarily both thumbs stay on the analogs for those games. this could solve some the cramping issues with the 360 controller which otherwise i think is quite nice. Other than shooters, changing camera angles may be a bit awkward at first with this placement.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank god, this way they're also increasing their appeal to wary consumers on the whole not comfortable-looking-to-hold aspect of the Wii U's tablet, but damn I gotta say I'm just glad they have a sexy looking traditional controller as an option from the get go and this time Retro Studios better support it (looks begrudgingly at DKC Returns :glare: ).

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original" when this is literally just the Xbox 360 controller with the analog stick/ABXY pads swapped. But either way the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best ever designed and I could see why they'd copy it.

However, I just feel it's silly to push a peripheral that completely contradicts the whole "controller with a screen" thing. I know it's so you can do multiplayer but it just seems really silly.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original" when this is literally just the Xbox 360 controller with the analog stick/ABXY pads swapped. But either way the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best ever designed and I could see why they'd copy it.

However, I just feel it's silly to push a peripheral that completely contradicts the whole "controller with a screen" thing. I know it's so you can do multiplayer but it just seems really silly.
The thing is many people complained about how fugly the prototype Gamepad looked at E3 2011. This classic controller solves this problem.

D

Deleted_171835

The controller is for those who will bitch about the tablet controller when playing multiplatform games.

With this, they can play those games the same way they would play it on the other consoles.

Reactions: 7 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original"...
I'd like to point out how hard you are trying to, idk, discredited them on this oneinstance (when really they just pop out the screen ) vs how ( specially) Sony and Microsoft recent actions been.

Anyway I'm just coming into all this, so I can't fully give my thoughts yet.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States

I'm pretty sure there are discussions elsewhere about how the 360 controller isn't really completely original. Controllers build off each other. Of course Nintendo went with a comfortable shape and stuff. Oh noes, it happens to be similar to the 360 controller, just like that one has similarities to previous controllers. I don't really feel like turning this into a page worth of banter, so I won't reply if you make a snarky comment, but that's my input.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol, if this was sony, we'll have 5 pages of nintendo fanboy crying about how sony copy everything.

This is a xbox controller, period.

I don't really feel like turning this into a page worth of banter, so I won't reply if you make a snarky comment, but that's my input.

Reactions: 2 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, if this was sony, we'll have 5 pages of nintendo fanboy crying about how sony copy everything.

This is a xbox controller, period.

I don't really feel like turning this into a page worth of banter, so I won't reply if you make a snarky comment, but that's my input.

The reason we Nintendo fanboys bitch about Sony is because they are arrogant and when they copy they act as if they invented the damn thing. As a Nintendo fanboy ill even admit that the pro controller is a copy of the 360 controller but with parallel sticks. I hate the idea. I want all of the attention on the tablet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is