This may be a stupid question, but....

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Hackintush, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Hackintush
    OP

Hackintush Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Can't hackers and exploiters use Cemu to make things easier, or is it just a game based emulator? I mean, Citra can run homebrew I'm pretty sure, and Cemu does have a log system, sooooo......

2. Exavold
    This message by Exavold has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  3. Hackintush
    This message by Hackintush has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  4. Exavold
    This message by Exavold has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  5. Tortitamal
    This message by Tortitamal has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  6. DarkFlare69
    This message by DarkFlare69 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  7. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    The emulator doesn't emulate the whole WiiU.
    It just plays the games.

FaTaL_ErRoR and Exavold like this.
  8. MrRean

MrRean WiiU Helper / Hacker

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    I don't see the reason why you guys are being such fucking dicks about a simple question, which the author even labels "may be stupid", which isn't an excuse to be a dick >.>

To answer your question, no. Cemu is aimed more towards emulating games, but maybe if you can load RPLs and RPXs, you might be able to get somewhere but it wouldn't make much sense.

9. verifyvenuz
    This message by verifyvenuz has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  10. Hackintush
    OP

Hackintush Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the answer sir.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Then the better question is, what version of Wii U does Cemu emulate?

11. crwys
    This message by crwys has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  12. Hackintush
    This message by Hackintush has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  13. survive9

survive9 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2014
    United States
    i dont believe that cemu emulates any version of the wii u firmware, it just gets the games to work. I cannot play on cemu cause my computer is shit, good thing i have a wii u.

14. Jackall4BDN

Jackall4BDN Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares

Nov 8, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Within your Mind
    You need to reevaluate your understanding of emulators. But that's ok.

But guys, seriously, this? The community has been bashing each other for months but how low do you even want to scoop, anymore?
    Also on a sidenote i havent even seen ONCE anyone at least apologize after being a total dickhead to people, you could at least practice that if you can't turn away from your hobby, guys...

Last edited by Jackall4BDN, Apr 3, 2016
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    @OP this will help with understanding.
    The third option in this answer I do believe is how cemu is running.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11059497/how-do-video-game-emulators-work
    Basically the game calls for something and it is substituted for the hardware/software the computer has.
    In a nutshell cemu could be useful for homebrew if one was able to find a flawed game that would be able to cause an overflow in the memory to allow for exploitation.
    If you are interested in messing with cemu for exploitation purposes I would advise you to break the cemu program down and open the source coding. That would be of far more value then a kernel level game exploit. (just my 2 cents)

Jackall4BDN likes this.
  16. Jackall4BDN

Nov 8, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Within your Mind
    For some research and allready getting onto making some gamehacks/minor homebrew this is an awesome approach, but keep in mind tbat this emulator still lacks a lot in accuracy and uses a TON of trickery to run the games as good as it does, so dont expect much memory-aimed manipulation to later work on actual hardware.

FaTaL_ErRoR likes this.
  17. TheZander

TheZander member

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    You mean like using cemu to play theough titles and dump the ram and whatever else into a debugger to scan for inconsistencies? that sounds like highly detailed work, with little advantage over just using the actual console.

18. Sir_Diabeetus

Sir_Diabeetus Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    This. I don't know why some of the users in this community are acting like imbeciles. Give OP a break, he said that it may be a stupid question. Like @Jackall4BDN said, some of you guys need to apologize to him. :(

I honestly wish there's a facepalm emote in this website.

Last edited by Sir_Diabeetus, Apr 3, 2016
  19. Hackintush
    OP

Hackintush Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    All I know is how Citra works, some I'm not sure I know EVERYTHING about Cemu, obviously.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, what I mean by all this is that can't exploiters find certain exploits in games within Cemu?

20. Jackall4BDN

Nov 8, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Within your Mind
    Show me how to easily watch the ram on just any WiiU and we talk about the difference in advantage. From what i can tell in the community, Cemu is much more spread and accessible than a <=5.4 wiiU

21. TheZander
    This message by TheZander has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: insulting and flaming.
    Apr 3, 2016
  22. Jackall4BDN
    This message by Jackall4BDN has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: insulting and flaming.
    Apr 3, 2016
  23. TheZander
    This message by TheZander has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: insulting and flaming.
    Apr 3, 2016
  24. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Most emulators start out open source, and only play homebrew at first, the game playing comes much further along in the cycle, because the emulator is made to emulate the system, not to play games, that is only a secondary result of making the system emulation better. Cemu is not one of the typical emulators, it's not open source, it seems to be targeted at people wanting to play backups, and not targeted at actually emulating the system. And now it has the option to pay money for early versions to "support" the developer in making game emulation better. So yeah, I doubt this emulator will ever be made to play homebrew in rpx, rpl, or elf format, but more and more games will slowly be added and improved, while the amount of subscribers slowly increases ...

TotalInsanity4 and FaTaL_ErRoR like this.
  25. mgrev
    This message by mgrev has been removed from public view by Cyan, Apr 3, 2016, Reason: flaming and stupid posts.
    Apr 3, 2016
  26. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Holy shit guys CHILL. There's no need to be at each other's throats like this. The OP genuinely wants to learn, stop using threads like these as an excuse to start flame wars

Sir_Diabeetus and SomeGamer like this.
  27. Jackall4BDN

Nov 8, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Within your Mind
    Well to be fair, nobody likes being called a jerk without indication of some kind of joke or being buddy-buddy and after that, me merely making fun of you in return for not even aknownledging the (not minor) factor of availability to the situation until that point is to be expected then and just as harmless as you think of mildly insulting me. And if all that elaboration there did arise just from me using italics and poking you a bit, i'm not the one of us who needs to calm down, and if it didnt then you where mad at someone else.

BUT just 2 more cents. PM me if you need to continue this.

Last edited by Jackall4BDN, Apr 3, 2016
  28. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You can report flaming and troll posts instead of replying and being part of the offtopic discussion which need cleanup.