Hardware This is how nintendo will screw it up

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not strictly. ps3 Youtube and Netflix did me well for YEARS when I had people over. Not everyone has a HTPC, infact, I'd find the console one's easier to use.
Yeah, perhaps back in the days, but seeing as the Switch is a handheld and how we are in 2017 with Chromecast & Co. being pretty cheap, that's ridiculous. People were even using Netflix/YouTube on the fucking 480p Wii...

D

Deleted User

Yeah, perhaps back in the days, but seeing as the Switch is a handheld and how we are in 2017 with Chromecast & Co. being pretty cheap, that's ridiculous. People were even using Netflix/YouTube on the fucking 480p Wii...
I'd be much happier with Netflix/youtube apps than having to shell out more money, if |I'm perfectly honest.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 96184
if/once nintendo starts locking services behind its networks and tons of upcoming updates it gonna make the switch unplayable for me. ps3 did the same thing with netflix/youtube by requiring a log in and it really made access to a simple video service that much harder, then they kept adding that huge firmware update every month with all the hackers shutting down psn and locking everyone out of those services. The same thing happened to the VITA, moving files to and fro required internet connection alongside an update every other day.

the biggest problem for the wiiU was locking the wii into a whole different section, making something that shoulda have been simple into a 3min process, the wii had a huge install base with the elderly and im sure it made it much difficult for them to play simple wii games as it made it incredibly tedious for me. The switch solved this problem by making their interface simple much like the wii did by just having a picture to point and click

now when it comes to Nintendo's new service they will roll out in fall '17, I forgot to put a mention to the virtual console stuff, im not talking the neo geo stuff im talking the future gamecube and wii stuff, it would be horrible if they locked it behind an internet check or update.

I want to write a lot more but Im thinking about when i take my switch as a portable and how all of this stuff can be a disaster, if your sitting at public wifi place and then you log into its garbage wifi and the auto update doesnt fully download, or your leave said place and it just messes everything up. splatoon is definitey not a game you can take on the go unless you own a very expensive phone hotspot plan.
I guess all im really saying is locking services behinds its own service would be a bad thing to do especially because its a portable system and ive already experienced the psvita

That's not even close to the biggest problem for the Wii U, and definitely was not much of a big deal. Emulating an entire system from the generation before within a new system is pretty damn impressive and the fact that it takes a minute or so to launch into the emulated system from a gen before is completely understandable.

As for how Nintendo will be handling its new online service. Who knows, seems stupid to get up in arms right now when there has been no details on it at this point. Sure how Nintendo is handling the likes of voice chat is dumb as hell, but that's hardly a deal breaker for most consumers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hell, I still do because my Wii is still connected to an older flat panel 4:3 TV I have in my room (my big HD TV is in the main family room), as such 480p Netflix is the best resolution I'm going to be able to get for Netflix on that TV as it stands.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really really feel some of the stream services will be locked behind a wall, i think about Nintendo's upcoming paywall and then i think about the online games (splatoon, mariokart, arms, bomberman, street fighter) thats it... and extra $20/month to play those three games in 2017. Then i think, what can they do to make people want to pay that $20 now? put other things behind it. And when it comes to things like that alongside frequent internet checks and huge updates it doesn't bode well for the handheld side of it.

D

Deleted User

the only thing i dont like about homebrew is the constant console updates and gamecard checks and everything, i think it took me an hour to download zelda and system updates the very last time i turned it one when i only wanted to play for about 5mins, it sickened me so much that i havent turned on zelda, yes i was at a public wifi. The NES is a monster console, you just pop in a cart and its on.
Really, Are you fucking serious. there was no internet back then. So of course there are no updates. oh and btw, buy the fucking game cartridges if you have such a problem with game downloads. Updates are the future, love it or hate it. Its just how tech evolves.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really really feel some of the stream services will be locked behind a wall, i think about Nintendo's upcoming paywall and then i think about the online games (splatoon, mariokart, arms, bomberman, street fighter) thats it... and extra $20/month to play those three games in 2017. Then i think, what can they do to make people want to pay that $20 now? put other things behind it. And when it comes to things like that alongside frequent internet checks and huge updates it doesn't bode well for the handheld side of it.
So much is wrong with this. You CAN access everything, the only thing you pay for is online play and game rental service, that it. They can block every thing else behind a pay wall because they don't own those services. Also, it's $20 per year, not month

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, Are you fucking serious. there was no internet back then. So of course there are no updates. oh and btw, buy the fucking game cartridges if you have such a problem with game downloads. Updates are the future, love it or hate it. Its just how tech evolves.

this is about the switch on the antipiracy side, alongside nintendo very slowly rolling out updates, when i buy a cart or disc i expect everything to be on it already, maybe im just too old school to tolerate all the extra time needed to access games or content.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is about the switch on the antipiracy side, alongside nintendo very slowly rolling out updates, when i buy a cart or disc i expect everything to be on it already, maybe im just too old school to tolerate all the extra time needed to access games or content.
Yeah you are. 5kb is way too small compared to the 13 gb of Zelda.

D

Deleted User

You can't ship 100% perfect game.
Nintendo updates it's tools and updates are needed due to new functions or new calls from their updated version.
Also, newest system firmware ensures that game works properly.

D

Deleted User

Nintendo updates it's tools and updates are needed due to new functions or new calls from their updated version.
most of the time... (cough cough 11.4 is hilarious it had too much stability and broke zelda.)

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you are. 5kb is way too small compared to the 13 gb of Zelda.

i dont need a 100% perfect game, i need a 100% completed game. Breath of the wild and mk8dx are wiiu ports, however arms and splatoon2 are not and the content for them are severy lacking. Splatoon is still on 6 stages (i think) and it gets boring so quick, i dont want to wait for things to come when it should already be there.

D

Deleted User

i dont need a 100% perfect game, i need a 100% completed game. Breath of the wild and mk8dx are wiiu ports, however arms and splatoon2 are not and the content for them are severy lacking. Splatoon is still on 6 stages (i think) and it gets boring so quick, i dont want to wait for things to come when it should already be there.
Your acting like Nintendo only has these issues, some 3rd party games have that exact same problem.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your acting like Nintendo only has these issues, some 3rd party games have that exact same problem.

i agree, those kinds of games i stopped playing way early, its worse on the ps4/xb1 for sure because the time waiting is too much a nuisance: overwatch, call of duty, madden. i just dont want that on a handheld console it could spell a huge amount of problems.

imagine sitting at a cafe trying to play an online game, then an update notive pops up and you click on it, then you realize that its a huge download and you dont have the time to update it, the screen reads "do not poweroff or disconnect" or whatever the message is, now your screwed and have to potentially sit there til it finishes or you can risk it and leave.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That shouldn't be an issue at all if I use the Switch (and any gaming platform for that matter) as it is intended for in the first place: Gaming.
Those services are secondary, because I can access them on my desktop computer, my laptop, my netbook, my tablet, or my smartphone, if I ever want to watch TV (something I don't do often).

And so, if some users can't access those services won't harm at all the Switch platform. Because most users will use it for gaming.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That shouldn't be an issue at all if I use the Switch (and any gaming platform for that matter) as it is intended for in the first place: Gaming.
Those services are secondary, because I can access them on my desktop computer, my laptop, my netbook, my tablet, or my smartphone, if I ever want to watch TV (something I don't do often).

And so, if some users can't access those services won't harm at all the Switch platform. Because most users will use it for gaming.

yes but why carry so much stuff around?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Nintendo will lock streaming apps behind the paywall. Microsoft did this on the 360 for years because people were stupid and did not bother to fight it whereas PSN was free on PS3 so that was never an issue. Microsoft and Sony do not charge for streaming apps now so I doubt Nintendo would start unless they are looking to be burned at the stake for it.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
yes but why carry so much stuff around?

I don't, I'm just trying to point that there are so many options besides the Switch to access those services. And the main use intended for the Switch is gaming.
Any user that start complaining because they can't access those services using the Switch (at least not in a free basis, and even so, some will still complain), should consider buying another device instead of a Switch as the main platform for accessing them.

That user base will not harm in any way the Switch's gaming platform.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 96184
if/once nintendo starts locking services behind its networks and tons of upcoming updates it gonna make the switch unplayable for me. ps3 did the same thing with netflix/youtube by requiring a log in and it really made access to a simple video service that much harder, then they kept adding that huge firmware update every month with all the hackers shutting down psn and locking everyone out of those services. The same thing happened to the VITA, moving files to and fro required internet connection alongside an update every other day.

the biggest problem for the wiiU was locking the wii into a whole different section, making something that shoulda have been simple into a 3min process, the wii had a huge install base with the elderly and im sure it made it much difficult for them to play simple wii games as it made it incredibly tedious for me. The switch solved this problem by making their interface simple much like the wii did by just having a picture to point and click

now when it comes to Nintendo's new service they will roll out in fall '17, I forgot to put a mention to the virtual console stuff, im not talking the neo geo stuff im talking the future gamecube and wii stuff, it would be horrible if they locked it behind an internet check or update.

I want to write a lot more but Im thinking about when i take my switch as a portable and how all of this stuff can be a disaster, if your sitting at public wifi place and then you log into its garbage wifi and the auto update doesnt fully download, or your leave said place and it just messes everything up. splatoon is definitey not a game you can take on the go unless you own a very expensive phone hotspot plan.
I guess all im really saying is locking services behinds its own service would be a bad thing to do especially because its a portable system and ive already experienced the psvita
that's not how it works -_-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ok see ya