Gaming Third Party Hard Drive and Controllers

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to play Blue Dragon. I would like to play some of the XBOX games such as Ninja Gaiden and I would like to play a modernized version of Wasteland.

There is this Arcade package for $200. Sixty Gigabyte hard drives do not cost that much and cables do not cost that much. Why are there no third party hard drives for sale? How about third party controllers?

Now what I understand is that I want a newer XBOX 360 because the cooling system has been improved in the new ones. I understand that you cannot save your game without a hard drive and you cannot play XBOX games without a hard drive. I also understand that the disk reader that comes with the arcade package is noisy to the point of distraction.

Surely somewhere there is an enterprising company selling hard drives that are compatible with the XBOX 360 arcade system and I do not consider MicroSoft to be an enterprising company.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No third party hdd as the official ones have a digital signature stored on them , no signature and it doesn't work. Microsoft are the only ones who can produce that , so no third party hdd. Controllers , there are a few third party ones , but not many as there is an authentication chip in them , no chip and controller doesn't work. You want to make a controller , you have to license that from Microsoft.

Arcade come with a memory card or 256MB built in (newer machines) , so you can still save games without a hdd , no backwards compatibility though.

Assuming it's still going, you can buy a arcade and then use the memory upgrade program on xbox.com and get a cheap refurbished 20GB hdd (can't remember exact price) , or if you are up for a little messing around , you can make a western digital scorpio drive work on a 360 , but as you'll have an arcade you'll either have to mount it internally or try to get hold of the case that official ones come in.

kokiri_link

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually you can get "third party" hard drives from dealextreme. And OEM controllers.

Controller: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18435

Hard drive: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18139 - 20GB
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19388 - 120GB

Hope this helped mate
smile.gif

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can take a few specific models of Western Digital hard drives and flash them with a new firmware so the 360 will read them. However, you've got to have the 360's hard drive shell so the connectors all match up. The Deal Extreme hard drives are using this hack, only they just do it for you.

fear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
You can also save a lot of time and nerv and just buy a genuine MS 120GB HDD for arround € 100. WTF ^^

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the Deal Xtreme hdd

#1 There is speculation that the drives repeat digital signatures and that you will get banned if someone with the same signature as yours goes live the same time that you do. Also your console will get banned too.

#2 They flash the drives. Does this mean that the drives will play back ups? Deal Xtreme does not say.

***** I am thinking that the XBOX 360 will come down in price but just my luck that Obama will kick start the economy and it won't.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've heard of a few people saying they where banned for using the harddrive hack.

Not to mention you need a specific type of WD harddrive AND you need a copy of another drives security sector to flash with.

Thing is people don't tend to just hand this stuff over, also if you bought a 120GB WD drive you would need to get a 120gb security sector. If you used a 20gb or 60gb security sector thats the maximum drive size you can use. You can't use beyond the security sector size you have.

With regards to your 2nd question: They flash it with a security sector like I said above, this does NOT mean you can play backups. Think about it, why would flashing a storage device give you the ability to read pirated dvd-r's? You need to flash your dvd drive for that.

Just bite the bullet and buy a genuine harddrive, its not worth the hassle doing it on the cheap.

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With regard to my first question I am asking about the claims that digital signatures are repeated on those drives. Does anyone know?

In regard to my second, it makes sense that you would need to flash the DVD drive to read backups and I confess it was a dumb question to ask.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxle said:
You can take a few specific models of Western Digital hard drives and flash them with a new firmware so the 360 will read them. However, you've got to have the 360's hard drive shell so the connectors all match up. The Deal Extreme hard drives are using this hack, only they just do it for you.

this will show you how to use a hacked western digital drive and install it in an xbox360 arcade WITHOUT a hdd shell. some simple soldering required (read from page 10):

hxxp://au.geocities.com/g12345567/Xbox-360-Hard-Drive.pdf

this is a basic guide, including where to obtain the signature:

hxxp://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably best to look up the live starter kit instead, true its more expensive but it isn't so bad when you think about it. 3 months live, headset, 60gb HD and some fancy network cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi