Thinking of getting a second hand projector.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,256
  • Replies 5
D

Deleted User

OP
For my N64 and GameCube since it's cheaper than getting an S-video to Component converter which for all I know won't work well and saves me the risk of modding an S-video port on my TV.
Problem is, my room is quite bright, even with the curtains shut. Is there a particular lumen rating I should look out for?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually come the other way and set about making a room dark when the client needs it.

Anyway second hand projector is an odd one -- if it a bulb based projector then do look up how much bulbs cost. They do not have the best lifetime and they are not the cheapest to replace when they do go wrong. Likewise projector bulbs can be even worse than printers when it comes to the thing wanting the exact bulb and nothing else.

If it is a second hand LED one then that is doable. There are some cheap and cheerful Chinese models ( http://www.eevblog.com/2014/10/08/eevblog-671-white-van-speaker-scam-teardown/ 25 minutes if you do not want to watch the lot).

If you have got cash for this one then business projectors are typically the brighter offerings (they have to work in meetings after all) but they might not have the best colours.

Alternatively if you are going for old games is it not worth hunting down a later CRT with component inputs?

If you are really bored then the N64 has a pretty nice RGB mod you can do, I already said my bit about the Wii and component in earlier threads.

D

Deleted User

OP
I usually come the other way and set about making a room dark when the client needs it.

Anyway second hand projector is an odd one -- if it a bulb based projector then do look up how much bulbs cost. They do not have the best lifetime and they are not the cheapest to replace when they do go wrong. Likewise projector bulbs can be even worse than printers when it comes to the thing wanting the exact bulb and nothing else.

If it is a second hand LED one then that is doable. There are some cheap and cheerful Chinese models ( http://www.eevblog.com/2014/10/08/eevblog-671-white-van-speaker-scam-teardown/ 25 minutes if you do not want to watch the lot).

If you have got cash for this one then business projectors are typically the brighter offerings (they have to work in meetings after all) but they might not have the best colours.

Alternatively if you are going for old games is it not worth hunting down a later CRT with component inputs?

If you are really bored then the N64 has a pretty nice RGB mod you can do, I already said my bit about the Wii and component in earlier threads.

I just can't keep a CRT with me anymore, I used to have a really good one with svideo and widescreen for those few games that support widescreen but it was just too big and heavy and I knew I'd have to give it up eventually
I'm not really into modding and that only works on my NTSC N64

All the cheap Chinese models I've seen only display low definition and not standard definition.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Control your lighting and get a budget PJ.

TBH depending on what you spend, you can get a pretty decent one to give you a nice taste of what the technology can offer.

If its just a cheap thing you need to play your old games, get one with a speaker inclusive although you should really buy a separate speaker set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol