Android Thinking of buying a new phone

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My old Samsung Xcover keeps complaining about lack of memory when updating apps, so I think I'll have to buy a new phone soon. I'm currently between two phones.

Samsung Galaxy Fame S6810P priced at 119€ (Android 4.1 with 512MB of RAM)
or
Samsung Galaxy Trend S7560 priced at 145€ (Android 4.0 with 768MB of RAM)

And side by side comparison

Both have 4GB of internal memory, so I'm wondering if it would be better to go for more RAM even though a slightly older Android OS, or go for the newer one (my old one is 2.3 I think...) I'm quite clueless with phones, so any help is appreciated, and you can suggest a better phone too (max I'm willing to pay is ~200€ though)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Which service provider do you have? That'll help us find a better phone. Personally, I wouldn't go with either of them. For €200 you might be able to nab a Galaxy S2, and if you root it you can get the latest version of Android (or at least 4.2.x) and you'll also be able to remove whatever bloatware crap your provider might put on there.

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Which service provider do you have? That'll help us find a better phone. Personally, I wouldn't go with either of them. For €200 you might be able to nab a Galaxy S2, and if you root it you can get the latest version of Android (or at least 4.2.x) and you'll also be able to remove whatever bloatware crap your provider might put on there.
Going to use old service provider, phone will be bought independently from a store. And I don't really need a high end phone, my only problem with old phone is the lack of memory.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Exactly. The S2 or the S advance are the best in terms of price-to-functionality ratio. The difference isn't that large (both have dual-core CPUs at 1.2 and 1.0 GhZ respectively, the s2 has 1GB of RAM while the S advance has only 768MB, but Jelly bean can be installed on both)

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Exactly. The S2 or the S advance are the best in terms of price-to-functionality ratio. The difference isn't that large (both have dual-core CPUs at 1.2 and 1.0 GhZ respectively, the s2 has 1GB of RAM while the S advance has only 768MB, but Jelly bean can be installed on both)
I'm a bit hesitant on trying to update the firmware via rooting, since my first smart phone got bricked during an attempt at that <-< Update package was for a HTC phone of some sort, while mine was a ZTE Blade, even though instruction site was for ZTE Blade... Daddy (who knows this stuff quite well and did it on his own identical phone, but via a different program, which didn't work on my phone for some reason) didn't notice until he ran the update, and at that point the phone was beyond saving.

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
you should check huawei, those guys offer a nice phone for little money.
The store I'm looking to buy my phone from doesn't seem to carry that many Huawei's... and the ones in my price range only have little inner memory and RAM, or lack the info on inner memory <-< And the lack of inner memory is why I'm looking into new phones in the first place.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't recommend the Galaxy S2 enough - lovely phone. I only dumped mine cos my contract was up and I just had to have an S4 :bow:

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least get the s2, it will still hold you over for a long time unlike the phones in the first post

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
At least get the s2, it will still hold you over for a long time unlike the phones in the first post
Okay. I was hoping the cheaper phones would be sufficient so I don't have to sink my whole monthly student allowance into a phone q-q But I'd rather get a good phone that'll last me years than one I need to replace often.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently upgraded my Droid X to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus I picked up on Ebay for 80USD, plus the money I spent on 2 extended batteries (the OEM ones have the NFC radio in them, the 3rd party ones don't).

I got it cheap because it was bricked, but being a Nexus, the tools are out there to get out of just about anything software-wise, as opposed to getting one with a cracked screen and having to dump another 150USD into a replacement. It's a solid phone, running Cyanogenmod 10.1, which is based on 4.2.2, so nice up-to-date OS support.

Par39

The Life Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Though, what exactly is wrong with the phones in OP? I'm not that heavy of a phone user, use mine mainly to Gtalk to people, or to kill time with puzzles when I don't have access to other entertainment, and browsing the internet occasionally.

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I had the a the Droid Razr but whenever I want to upgrade I went for the Nexus 4 amazon.com it was well worth it I cyanogen mod installed and it. is really snappy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, That is definitely exciting news. +1