Thinking about buying a fan

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by fst312, Aug 30, 2018.

1. fst312
    OP

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    After playing on my switch today I noticed it overheated, so I did some research and one of the things I could do is buy a fan for my switch. Even though it overheated in about 30 minuets to an hour.I didn’t get that message where the switch supposedly says it’s going to sleep mode. I’m wondering if buying a fan really matters though because as hot as the switch was, will buying a fan to prevent myself seeing that message really matter, even if the switch will feel like it’s at a cool warm temperature wouldn’t it still be overheating even if I can’t feel it.

2. fst312
    OP

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Last edited by fst312, Aug 30, 2018
  3. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    What exactly does this cool?
    Docking station which is a piece of plastic and usb c port?

4. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    how warm does it yet? It shouldn't overheat at all, then something is wrong with the unit.

5. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Be smart. Buy a third party dock HOUSING and put the original dock chip inside that. Trust me.

6. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    It's like putting a bandage on a fractured bone.
    You need to either take it in for service or open it yourself and find the problem.

7. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Sometimes electronics get alarmingly hot but it's "normal", no need to open it up and void the warranty. Are you getting error message/crashes?
    Mine also gets hot when in the dock, I don't see why a fan solution would hurt, or move the switch to a cooler place.

8. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Last edited by kumikochan, Aug 30, 2018
  9. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Get a USB fan, and point it at the dock. Problem solved.

10. werneck14

werneck14 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Brazil
    I think leaving the back of the dock open (where you connect the cables) helps avoiding overheating. One day i was playing Super Mario Odyssey and the switch was getting too hot. Now i leave the back of the dock open and rarely see my switch overheating. I saw someone giving this tip and though it was stupid, but looking at the back of the dock open you can see one of the exits for air on the back of the switch. I think is worth testing.

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Using it doesn't draw heat away from it, it just pushing cold air into it so that doesn't help.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No need for that, there is one that fits into the stock dock and looks seamless.
    Plus, I am 90% sure that doesn't have a fan. Those vents are for providing some ventilation for the dock board, which doesn't help.
    Get this instead, looks much nicer: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Fan-...669857&hash=item25fa106014:g:QRkAAOSwCRRbK5f-
    How do you know it overheated? What happened?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 3, 2018
  13. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Don't put your faith on cooling fans since most of them aren't really effective or pretty useless.

14. Username4321

Username4321 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2018
    Brazil
    I just submerge my Switch in a tub of water for superior liquid cooling.

MrBland likes this.