exactly no need to get excited over a kernel
popping-kernel.gif

:creep:

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Kernel is nothing compared to TrustZone but okay, whatever you say?)
Just don't come crying when your people delays release by 15 years then quits.
(I don't think you understand who exactly "your people" working on this are, but okay, whatever you say?)
I'm going to keep this quote for a year or so down the line, and see just exactly how things pan out. :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It would be a major step if it was manipulated, not just dumped.
Thing is, if there is an exploit in the kernel (which there is), then having a dump of said kernel increases the chances of finding that exploit by a lot (10 times, 100 times, or even more)
So this is still plenty of reason to be excited for those who are interested as much in the progress as the end result.

D

Deleted User

OP
(I don't think you understand who exactly "your people" working on this are, but okay, whatever you say?)
I'm going to keep this quote for a year or so down the line, and see just exactly how things pan out. :)
People are expecting this to be released like next month. this is what OP is trying to tell people not to do. 1 year is an acceptable wait, and they were obviously exaggerating their post to get their point across.
Thing is, if there is an exploit in the kernel (which there is), then having a dump of said kernel increases the chances of finding that exploit by a lot (10 times, 100 times, or even more)
So this is still plenty of reason to be excited for those who are interested as much in the progress as the end result.
This is true. I wish I could get a peak at the kernel. I would love to see what secrets it holds.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
People are expecting this to be released like next month. this is what OP is trying to tell people not to do. 1 year is an acceptable wait, and they were obviously exaggerating their post to get their point across.

This is true. I wish I could get a peak at the kernel. I would love to see what secrets it holds.
You probably wouldn't understand any of it anyway :P
I know I wouldn't.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally hope the switch doesn't get hacked for a few years. I don't want the console to just die. it has literally no games that can't be played/bought elsewhere. praying for this is like praying for the death of Nintendo, and quite frankly, that's when I'll quit gaming. I don't like Microsoft, and I don't like Sony for various reasons.

Most people who own a Switch now and buy games are probably still going to buy games even if it gets hacked, and people who didn't buy the console before due to the price of the games will at least buy the console in order to play pirated games (no, a Switch emulator isn't something to expect in the near future). Look at Steam: PC games are available for download as Torrents basically the same day they're released, however Steam is still alive (yes, I know there are various advantages having a legit copy of the game on Steam instead of pirating it, it's just an example)

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly, the following systems were heavily pirated:

Nintendo DS
Nintendo GBA
PS3
PSX
PS2
Wii
PSP

And all have sold like hotcakes, most surpassing 100 million units in sales. And yet they were pirated, hmm, it's almost as if piracy has little to no impact on sales and success. *Sigh* Why must people constantly lose their shiz over something that's not going to happen for a long time? Piracy is the illegal duplication of a medium, not outright theft. Theft is taking something and having said object gone, requiring it to be replaced. In this case, it's more akin to taking a photocopier and copying a book 1:1 without consent. Still illegal, but hardly the same as theft. People need to realize this, but they won't. They have to lose their minds, it seems. C'est la vie I guess. :unsure:

Piracy helped those consoles if anything. I know heaps of people (myself included) who invested in the consoles only because they could burn a disc or put roms on a card. Same with DC in a way but SEGA didn't respond properly by dropping game prices or anything. Piracy didn't outright *kill* it as I typed earlier but it certainly helped and if any console would have the claim to death by piracy it'd be the Dreamcast.

It was just the wrong time for them. CD burners/media becoming cheaper, no hardware mods needed, people getting faster internet etc.. Really blindsided them but nowadays it's a matter of when, not if.

Still, fact remains that a kernel dump at this point isn't something to get too excited about lol

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy helped those consoles if anything. I know heaps of people (myself included) who invested in the consoles only because they could burn a disc or put roms on a card. Same with DC in a way but SEGA didn't respond properly by dropping game prices or anything. Piracy didn't outright *kill* it as I typed earlier but it certainly helped and if any console would have the claim to death by piracy it'd be the Dreamcast.

It was just the wrong time for them. CD burners/media becoming cheaper, no hardware mods needed, people getting faster internet etc.. Really blindsided them but nowadays it's a matter of when, not if.

Still, fact remains that a kernel dump at this point isn't something to get too excited about lol

Piracy had no bearing on the death of the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast died due to poor marketing, lack of interest from developers and damage to Sega's Reputation due to less than favourable performance of previous consoles (Saturn, 32X and Sega CD). It is an urban myth that Piracy killed the Console and perpetuating it further is what starts people panicking (sp?) that the Switch "will die as devs won't develop for a hacked console".

History of hacked consoles proves that this is not the case.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally hope the switch doesn't get hacked for a few years. I don't want the console to just die. it has literally no games that can't be played/bought elsewhere. praying for this is like praying for the death of Nintendo, and quite frankly, that's when I'll quit gaming. I don't like Microsoft, and I don't like Sony for various reasons.

If anything, emulators and stuff would only help the console by making it even more useful, especially since it's a handheld hybrid.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Piracy had no bearing on the death of the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast died due to poor marketing, lack of interest from developers and damage to Sega's Reputation due to less than favourable performance of previous consoles (Saturn, 32X and Sega CD). It is an urban myth that Piracy killed the Console and perpetuating it further is what starts people panicking (sp?) that the Switch "will die as devs won't develop for a hacked console".

History of hacked consoles proves that this is not the case.
2001? I bet you weren't even born when I bought my Dreamcast. No wonder you're posting such BS. Of course developers were discouraged when you could easily pirate their games shortly after they released.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
2001? I bet you weren't even born when I bought my Dreamcast. No wonder you're posting such BS. Of course developers were discouraged when you could easily pirate their games shortly after they released.

Nice Judgey post. I'm 32 (could have checked my profile but it's easier to trash talk, I understand), not that has anything at all to do with it. I'm not suggesting developrs weren't discouraged I'm saying that by the time Piracy was so rife with the console it had already died due to Sega's inability to generate interest in the product. Try doing some research instead of attacking other members. THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN A CONSOLE'S LACK OF SUCCESS AND PIRACY!

The WiiU is a clear cut case of this. The console bombed and it wasn't until 12 months ago that we were able to pirate the games.

The PSP and DS consoles were some of the biggest selling handhelds even though the games could be easily pirated. Why are you even arguing the point when the facts have already been proven time and time again??

Last edited by lembi2001,

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sega made bad choices during the Sega Saturn Era, you could say it all started with there CD and 32X add ons, developers wanted to support the Dreamcast but Sega just made way too many bad decisions, plus Sega of Japan and America were both at war with one another back in the 90s over what each wanted to do that they fucked one another over and with the rise of Sony, devs just thought it would be better to jump on the Sony PS2 bandwagon cause it used DVD and had more space than what Sega was offering and it was 299 for a game system and a DVD player, you couldn't beat that at the time, developers saw who would win, so it wasn't just piracy, it was multiple things but believe what you will, while alot of us will believe in the facts.

Reactions: lembi2001

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are wrong, piracy didn't kill it. The DC failed because of poor marketing strategies and later, the added pressure of the PS2, etc, before it's EOL.

Reactions: Kioku and lembi2001

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dumping kernel > gaining access to it > learning more about it > modifying it > finding exploit > injecting it back > making homebrew > all of that > us getting excited

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, I understand that it isn't an easy process but you have to start somewhere!
You can download any version of the BB10 OS directly from BB's servers to your PC and flash your phone with it. Despite that, the most elaborate "hacking" achieved has been sticking older radio modules into newer ROMs.

Just because the kernel had been dumped does not guarantee we will be getting any form of hacks.

Reactions: Deleted User

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can download any version of the BB10 OS directly from BB's servers to your PC and flash your phone with it. Despite that, the most elaborate "hacking" achieved has been sticking older radio modules into newer ROMs.

Just because the kernel had been dumped does not guarantee we will be getting any form of hacks.
Just because you don't read what I say doesn't mean you can complain. s\
Learning about the kernel gets the devs to understand it more, making it easier to search for potential exploits in it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-