• Replies 234
  • Likes 9

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for it happening at all, not for it helping us end users at all but still the fact that only about 4 months in to it's life they got done what they have, I would have expected this to at least take 2-3 years for this amount of stuff to have been done
Thank you. We could compare this to ARM11 and ARM9.

Once in ARM11 Kernel, we have more things to do, but we need access to ARM9 to pirate/have CFW.

In this case:
Kernel = ARM11
TrustZone = ARM9
speaking on 3ds, I thought you could install legit cia's(official games)having an arm11 exploit and you needed an arm 9 for homebrew cia's? perhaps it's a tad different here?

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm excited for it happening at all, not for it helping us end users at all but still the fact that only about 4 months in to it's life they got done what they have, I would have expected this to at least take 2-3 years for this amount of stuff to have been done

speaking on 3ds, I thought you could install legit cia's(official games)having an arm11 exploit and you needed an arm 9 for homebrew cia's? perhaps it's a tad different here?

AFAIK some things are still handled by the arm9 CPU (like SD card access) even in 3DS mode, perhaps it's something similar

D

Deleted User

OP

no you're right. i just didn't include that bit. i know it's true though.

AFAIK some things are still handled by the arm9 CPU (like SD card access) even in 3DS mode, perhaps it's something similar
arm9 is used for security checks like NVIDIA TrustZone

Jay L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because there have been consoles that died from being hacked

*looks on Google*

Oh wait, there never has been, silly me.
You obviously weren't around when the Dreamcast was out. It wasn't the only factor but it without a doubt contributed to the consoles death.
With things like firmware updates and stronger copy protection on day 0 we'll never see a system as easily and as widely priated as you had with the Dreamcast; back then it was as simple as just buying burnt games from a huge binder for a few bucks each (if you weren't making your own).
Besides if Nintendo was really so concerned about piracy they'd add at least a zero to all those bounty rewards they're offering. The fact their top bounty is only 20k (the profit off about 1000 copies of Zelda) shows how much of a concern piracy is at the end of the day.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You obviously weren't around when the Dreamcast was out. It wasn't the only factor but it without a doubt contributed to the consoles death.
With things like firmware updates and stronger copy protection on day 0 we'll never see a system as easily and as widely priated as you had with the Dreamcast; back then it was as simple as just buying burnt games from a huge binder for a few bucks each (if you weren't making your own).
Besides if Nintendo was really so concerned about piracy they'd add at least a zero to all those bounty rewards they're offering. The fact their top bounty is only 20k (the profit off about 1000 copies of Zelda) shows how much of a concern piracy is at the end of the day.

What really bothers me about piracy isn't the fact it's rampant or not, but when people who don't pirate treat those who do as being inferior, garbage, etc. Piracy for older games, that aren't being sold on any form of digital media, are not detrimental.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a step forward into the hacking scene, and there SHOULD be hype.

Now, there should not be hype for pirated software or any 'hax'.
Yeah, I agree. Homebrew would be awesome. The Switch is the perfect console for Homebrew applications and emulators. But everyone knows what happens when Homebrew comes along: piracy.

I'd rather have neither than both at this stage of the game.

Reactions: Xanthe
D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah, I agree. Homebrew would be awesome. The Switch is the perfect console for Homebrew applications and emulators. But everyone knows what happens when Homebrew comes along: piracy.

the worst part is that once there is piracy, then there won't be homebrew development unless it is to help make it easier to do so...

D

Deleted-355425

OP
If games were cheaper i dont think piracy would be as rife to be honest, how can eshop games be the same price as games in brick and mortar stores.

D

Deleted User

OP
If games were cheaper i dont think piracy would be as rife to be honest, how can eshop games be the same price as games in brick and mortar stores.
because if they weren't there would be no reason for people to buy the ones in the physical stores. why go through all the trouble of designing a retail cartridge if no one will buy it?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you're paying for either one convenience or another:
  • Being able to trade in/lend/sell a physical game
OR
  • Never having to worry about losing a game cartridge (digital titles)
I would say they're just as valuable as one another, so it's the customer's choice. I personally like physical games.

D

Deleted User

OP
It costs more to produce carts and books and cases, digital should be 25% cheaper at the very least.
that would be like having two sets of jeans produced by the same company that are exactly the same. one is $60, the other is $45. which will the customer buy? the $45 until it is sold out, but digital games don't sell out. why bother making the $60 jeans if you won't sell them? it's pointless.

plus having ProfitsOf($60-CostOf(Cartridge + Case + Booklets + Packaging)) != ProfitsOf($60). they want more money, so selling the digital copy gets them more profits.

D

Deleted-355425

OP
that would be like having two sets of jeans produced by the same company that are exactly the same. one is $60, the other is $45. which will the customer buy? the $45 until it is sold out, but digital games don't sell out. why bother making the $60 jeans if you won't sell them? it's pointless.

plus having ProfitsOf($60-CostOf(Cartridge + Case + Booklets + Packaging)) != ProfitsOf($60). they want more money, so selling the digital copy gets them more profits.

hasnt worked that way for mp3 and cd's, of course people will still pay standard price for carts.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What really bothers me about piracy isn't the fact it's rampant or not, but when people who don't pirate treat those who do as being inferior, garbage, etc. Piracy for older games, that aren't being sold on any form of digital media, are not detrimental.
Thing is, there's two different types of piracy: piracy for games not readily available or discontinued, and piracy for games currently available for purchase online and at retail stores. I'm okay with the former (as with nearly all GBAtemp members - it's our groove anyways), however I don't agree with people who buy the latest and greatest console then immediately demands for it to be hacked so they can play all the games for free. If money was an issue then accept your fate and stick with an older console - they still have great games.

D

Deleted User

OP
Fucking hell guys, did i mention piracy in my post?
No, so why you derail this into "uhh, piracy is bad and killed many devices" argument.
I'm so disappointed in you guys...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, there's two different types of piracy: piracy for games not readily available or discontinued, and piracy for games currently available for purchase online and at retail stores. I'm okay with the former (as with nearly all GBAtemp members - it's our groove anyways), however I don't agree with people who buy the latest and greatest console then immediately demands for it to be hacked so they can play all the games for free. If money was an issue then accept your fate and stick with an older console - they still have great games.

I still hate it when people act sanctimonious about it, nothing more. "Oh you're evil for downloading games that don't exist through other means", yeah, because companies are totally losing money, right? I don't get it, at all.

D

Deleted-355425

OP
it all boils down to, will this person in question ever buy a game legit? answer: no..... how is the company with the game losing money when the guy in question downloads it illegally.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Exactly. I would LOVE to see some homebrew and some emulation, but as soon as the resources become public, piracy will step in at some point. I don't want 3rd party developers backing out...

I hope the devs of the hacks don't release anything for a long time.

Reactions: dpad_5678

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: