Theflow0

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The funny thing is, if you choose the 20K you get credibility in the real world where it actually matters.
20k doesn't get you much in the way of credibility. It might get you some temporary attention from gold diggers.

It will however let you buy groceries and pay your bills.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if I was making 6 figures I'd still be pretty stoked to get 20k... maybe you're rich or something but it's still a lot of money 🤷‍♂️
I reckon someone on a 6 figure salary is more obsessed with money than someone on a 5 figure salary.

If I were in that game then I'd probably do nothing other than bounties.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
20k doesn't get you much in the way of credibility. It might get you some temporary attention from gold diggers.

It will however let you buy groceries and pay your bills.

You're missing the point, the credibility comes because it's another plus for his professional portfolio. It's not all about money, but it is a way to get more money, stability and career progression by proving seniority.
I would kill to have something like this in my software engineering curriculum, couldn't care less about a bunch of smelling children and burguer flippers that want to play games for free talking shit online.

IMO the only real error Flow and other good developers out there did was to ever associate with the homebrewing community.

Reactions: subcon959 and Kioku

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're missing the point, the credibility comes because it's another plus for his professional portfolio. It's not all about money, but it is a way to get more money, stability and career progression by proving seniority.

It's something you can put in a portfolio to pad your resume.
You can put in on your CV whether you do it for money or as a hobby.

No recruiter is going to say "Sorry, no, because you didn't do that for money we aren't going to hire you even though it makes you perfect for this role". I know loads of people who got careers out of doing emulation stuff for free. My highest hourly wage came about from something I learned on my own time.

It really is just about the money, which is of course up to him.

IMO the only real error Flow and other good developers out there did was to ever associate with the homebrewing community.
What bought you to gbatemp with that attitude?

I'm hoping for an exploit soon as I finally managed to snag a ps5 at retail price, no idea what firmware it's on yet (it's still sealed) but I figure if it's sitting in a box waiting then it will eventually happen.. Or not....

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: schatzi24

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with these scenes is most people don't give a shit. Most developers not only spend thousands of hours making stuff super easy, which let's be candid for a moment, you need to go legit if you still can't exploit your console, but developers have to pay for server costs. Most of the people who actually donate are other developers. With that being said, I'm not sure why some people are getting so angry when they've already proven they don't care about anyone but themselves. A scene is supposed to be a community, not the same 50-100 people doing everything for thousands or even tens of thousands of people.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You can put in on your CV whether you do it for money or as a hobby.

No recruiter is going to say "Sorry, no, because you didn't do that for money we aren't going to hire you even though it makes you perfect for this role". I know loads of people who got careers out of doing emulation stuff for free. My highest hourly wage came about from something I learned on my own time.

It really is just about the money, which is of course up to him.

What bought you to gbatemp with that attitude?

I'm hoping for an exploit soon as I finally managed to snag a ps5 at retail price, no idea what firmware it's on yet (it's still sealed) but I figure if it's sitting in a box waiting then it will eventually happen.. Or not....
The money could purely be a bonus. TheFlow0 and other devs of their Caliber clearly have the expertise to make a substantial income off their knowledge. I sincerely doubt they're celebrating 20k. Being able to put down that you're plugging more than a few security holes for major corporations goes A LOT further than you think.

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good on him. Early on during the infancy of Vita hacking, I couldn't walk for about a month. I spent whole days tinkering with my Vita. That's something I'm very grateful for because it kept me occupied and mentally active. It makes using my Vita extra special because of remembering that time. All the best. Enjoy the Sonybux.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The hate is mostly jealousy from the entitled. The kid has put serious time into his exploits while people expect him to release (without them paying for it). While the entitled sit there and wait for him to do the hard work and they reap the benefits, I say crack on and I'm happy he's made a tidy sum from his work. Why shouldn't he make cash from the hard work he puts in?

Reactions: Kioku and godreborn

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Being able to put down that you're plugging more than a few security holes for major corporations goes A LOT further than you think.
What are you talking about? He has a job at google as a security engineer and does this in his spare time.

Nobody would care whether he is getting paid or not, Sony would fix the vulnerabilities either way. It would still go on his CV.

He could disclose them to Sony for free and release them publicly if he wanted. He doesn't, because he wants the money.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
For the people saying this will get patched, that only increases your chances of getting access to it. Other developers will diff the old fw with the new one (comparing the files to see which bytes have changed) and then use the changes to figure out what changed and why. It's basically Sony putting up a big sign saying "LOOK HERE FOR HACKS!", the only downside is it can't be used on the latest firmware. This assumes that other developers already have that level of access but I'm sure they do. This is how the filesystem vulnerability was found on PS4.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally hope that the latest firmware is never publicly exploitable. I'm thinking of legit users, who on the 360 and the ps3 have to put up with cheaters, syncing trophies with no repercussions. as a legit user on the switch, ps5, and series x, it would make me very upset that I've spend thousands of dollars on games only to have a bunch of useless people get what I paid for for free. and, by useless, I'm talking about the people who just swoop in and take what they want without actually contributing anything themselves. it's kinda upsetting that a lot of uploaders are treated more respectfully than actual developers, and they're in it for efame and money, requiring likes or only uploading to hosts that pay you for uploads, when in reality, these people downloaded these games from top tier usenet and torrent sites, then plaster their sites or their own name all over them and upload them to some other site just to make money. there are a lot of unscrupulous people in these scenes, believe me, as someone who's been very involved for over a decade.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think cheating online is much of a problem nowadays compared to the X360 era. Hell back then you could play burned copies of games online aslong you had flashed DVD drive (I still have mine) RIP that ISO site. But yeah anti cheat system is pretty strong now, Sony was detecting cfw on ps3's and Nintendo is atleast game banning ppl with edited save files in multiplayer games. So as for new FW exploits we might be getting 9.0.3 for ps4 and probably the 4th update FW on Ps5 hence mine is still on the 2nd update just b/c I wanted to play Genshin on it to get Aloy lol

@bazamuffin: The Flow isnt that type of guy that just show & tell his work. Honestly if it weren't for him the ps4 exploit wouldn't have made it pass 5.05. We made it this far b/c hes always finding new bugs, which hes well known for during the Vita scene. There will always be entitled ppl in every community it just depends on how certain devs respond to them. Im pretty sure its more of a dev vs dev type drama where other devs are jealous of his findings or try to price them for themselves to keep it in private. Probably the reason we have debates of ppl worrying about how 20k isn't that much to them, like who cares? Its his money lol

Last edited by MasterJ360,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the people saying this will get patched, that only increases your chances of getting access to it.
Yeah, now I actually have a PS5 that is going to sit in it's box (after I checked it's not DOA) then I don't care if it gets patched.

However I would prefer him to hold off finding too many more exploits, because it would be a shame if Sony patches everything so soon.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

susi91

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We got Kernel Exploits for PS4 6.72 / 7.50-7.52 and 9.00, because he's able to find bugs and report them to H1.
Awesome guy. :)
Not to mention all the PS Vita stuff, legendary.
Yeah, now I actually have a PS5 that is going to sit in it's box
Me too :)
(after I checked it's not DOA)
Wait, does this happen often? Do they ship broken PS5s?
I've kept one bundle sealed... :unsure:
However I would prefer him to hold off finding too many more exploits, because it would be a shame if Sony patches everything so soon.
I guess he can't wait too long, someone else may find bugs too.

I'm curious if we need a full or partial disclose from him or if developers can diff the changes from the update again, like for 9.00.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.