The Walking Dead [MAJOR SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by VVoltz, Jan 9, 2012.

Jan 9, 2012
  1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    WARNING: Enter this discussion at your own risk! This is for people who have seen the show and wish to discuss it. Major plot points and spoilers are revealed in this thread! Make sure that you are caught up on the episodes before reading this topic!!!

I got hooked on the show, I never read the graphic novels. So far I've only watched a three episodes but I love it already.

Any fans of the show/comics here?

:arrow: Telltale Games' The Walking Dead (Video Game) Discussion

2. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    I'm a pretty big fan of the show.

The second season so far is a bit disappointing to me, but I hope they'll give the same amount of awesome they gave in the first season.

I've read some of the comics and was a bit in awe at how... well, let's just say I was a bit surprised :lol:

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I 'acquired' both series (those so far broadcast) after hearing nothing but praise for it. Haven't watched it yet.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'm a big fan of the series too, and the second season hasn't disappointed me yet ;) (I haven't seen the last 2 episodes before the midseason break of the 2nd one, but still, I don't think they could mess it up in the last 2 eps anyway :P)

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I love the show. I can't wait until February when it returns.

I thought the second season was pretty good. While Sofia's death may have been pretty obvious, I like how Shane as a character has developed with him killing Otis and what not. The show can only go uphill from here.

6. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    The first season was great, the second whilst still good didn't match up to the first for me (So far anyway.)
    I just wish they didn't spend a dozen episodes looking for a certain person instead of advancing the plot.

7. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    the walking dead i never heard of it
    on what channel is it?

8. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    That was the disappointing part for me :(

The second season hasn't made me as excited as the first season. My dad and little brother thought it was a tiny bit of a let down, too. For the same reasons :lol:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

soulx: I think we all guessed on that. Which is why the above was disappointing for me :(

9. HiroshiYamauchi

Member HiroshiYamauchi GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Obvious or not, i think the show is quite enjoyable. I like how it differs from the comix in many points.

10. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    The second season was hands down disappointing on another level. They've managed to turn the show into a soap opera that has an occasional zombie every now and again. I hope they pick back up on a good note and actually go somewhere with the story. Wasting all those episodes on that girl, regardless of how she was, was idiotic.

11. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    I just finished the first season, man that was awesome. On a scale from 1 to @[member='mthrnite'], that scored a solid @[member='mthrnite'].
    Even thou I read your comments about season two not being that good, can't wait to see it.

How much did they change things from the comic? Also, how many WD comics are there, is it a graphic novel or a series?

Edit: typos

1 person likes this.
  12. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    Series. We're at around 80 or 90 comics now, but they can easily all be read within a few days.

Also, the show and comic are practically two separate stories with the same characters. There's not much that relates, but they sometimes cover big parts of the comic within a 15 minutes timeslot on the show. For example, there's a part in the comics where they find a housing community, and that took up maybe 3 or 4 comics, but was covered in the show within 5 minutes.

2 people like this.
  13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Please do, probably the best show on cable at the moment (American cable at least).

I'm hooked on this show like Monkey Phonics, it's a really terrific drama. It's the only reason I'll ever look forward to a Sunday evening. Ever.

1 person likes this.
  14. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    well, it isn't a show about zombies. it's a show about a group of people that just happens to have zombies in it.

Season 2 is just as good as the first. the difference is though, that the first consisted of 6 episodes and AMC ordered 13 for the second meaning they have to pace it a little slower. If you're unhappy with season 2 then you may as well skip season 3 as 16 episodes have been ordered so it will likely be even more like a "soap opera"...

15. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I would have shot the old man on the spot...

Thats the only spoiler for the show I will give lol

Anyway its a great show :)

16. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    I know. Fans of the comic did not expect this since the comics is heavily rotated around the idea of a zombie apocalypse and not just an isolated group of people dealing with issues while shooting the living dead.

17. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    So would you say the comics are better?

18. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    Definitely.

1 person likes this.
  19. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Comics translate fairly well to one shot mediums like movies and "animated features". When transitioning from page to television though characters and relationships need to be fleshed out. Shows like Game of Thrones work because there is exposition in their medium. Comics are limited by what fits in a panel and it's up to the script writers to fill in what happens between them.

The show would be far more "boring" if week after week all they did was kill zombies.

1 person likes this.
  20. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    From someone who has read all the comics (waiting for the next issue in just over a week) I know that the tv series is changing a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff that turns out to be a good change and a lot of bad stuff, like for example: Bad
    There are many other bad changes, including a lot of stuff being "fillers" so as to not catch up to the comics, which isn't all that bad but some of the ideas are bad...