Hardware The Usenet Help Thread

square_one

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usenet is the best. it's funny to see torrent users try to say otherwise.

anyway...if you use a mac, i suggest unison for your reader.

binsearch.info for searching & nzb files.

i'm pretty pissed at my isp (comcast) right now. they took over my old isp who provided unlimited usenet access. comcast recently shut down the server, so i am forced to now pay for access (or stick with comcast's 2gb per month).

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got Usenet, since people wouldn't stop PMing me about how dumb I am for not having it.

Now, I've read Sam's guide, and it's good so far. But where do I get downloads, how do I open them to file the file I want etc.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll stick to private ratio torrent trackers... will max out any connection (unlike public trackers) because it forces people to share to continue to be a part of the community. Oh yeah and it's FREE.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not sure if someone above mentioned it but some ISP gives free usenet per month. think Comcast does 2gb or something like that. also i'd rather download via usenet and pay then download torrents with hardly any seeders but sometimes there are things on torrent that usenet doesn't have and other way around. some torrents last all damn day, but 99% of the time i'm done downlading 2 gigs in under 30mins via usenet

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grabit's ok for a noob. If you're using multiple servers (most free usenet users use more than one free server) grabit isn't really a reliable option.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whoops sorry read that wrong
smile.gif

torrents is the next best thing I believe.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
of course thats why im asking

it keeps saying i cant connect to server how do i get a server ?

ahh crap ok i got it to search but after i searched three times it says i have to start a account

this sucks !

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before paying for an account check if your isp offers one you'd be surprised the amount that actually do, although most have small download limits and short retention time it'll almost always be enough for all the new ds games aslong as you get them as soon as they come out you wont have a problem

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giganews is all you need hands down. I get massive speeds at all times usually averaging 900kb/s with my cable, and the retention is breathtaking - some groups still have 100% completion from back in February. Totally worth the money for their unlimited account. I've been a customer since 2003.

Here's how i manage usenet: I use Grabit for big batch downloading and the same copy of Forte Agent i bought in 2002 (1.93). Grabit is great if you sign up for their 1.99 a month service you can search all groups an unlimited number of times for anything you want.

Seriously, if i didnt have the money, i would not use usenet at all. Only with the best service can it even come close to delivering more than a lot of p2p out there... You have to pay but its worth it.

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
I just started using Usenet after readin sinkhead's tutorial and i must admit Usenet is way better than Torrents. Great tutorial sinkhead
smile.gif

Usenet-News and their block accounts are gr8
biggrin.gif

Flyfishing

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone try signing up for the Hitnews.eu trial more than once? Do they IP track you ?
They won't let you use the same e-mail. However, I've been using the trial for the last three months using various addresses from 2prong.com...Which I highly suggest for everyone who doesn't want to pay to do.
smile.gif
(Hopefully they'll keep the free trial permanently). I've had great speeds with them...Maxes out my crappy connection (compared to most others) at 1.5 Mbps (~180 KBps). I've used it on other connections as well and gotten the max on them as well... ~500 KBps. And I know that those speeds cover most people...So even if you guys love torrents, give the hitnews trial a shot.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*