Hardware The Usenet Help Thread

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the main thing that perked my ears up about Usenet was the fact that your download speed is always maxed out every time you download and there is no need to rely on seeders.

But if you don't mind waiting a bit longer, torrents are convenient enough.

happy.gif

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Oct 28 2007, 02:36 AM)]I hope you nubs that are arguing about torrents being better than Usenet aren't referring to public tracker sites. Public trackers can't hold a candle to Usenet.

Private tracker sites are the only torrent sources that can considered to rival Usenet.

bow.gif

Server: Usenet-News.Net
Client: GrabIt
Sites: Newzbin, binsearch,... Anything I can get my hands on.

Even though I still use torrents. Some are slower, but you gotta hand it to them sometimes. Not EVERY single thing is on Usenet.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, my ISP has 3 news servers cobranded by some strange newsgroup company, and I have to say, its not something I would pay for. I find newsgroup searching cumbersome so thats why I prefer torrents.

And yeah, I'm not paying for piracy. Unless its like a 1$ a month.

Jokiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just tried the Hitnet 7day trial and have to say..USENET KICKS ASS!

So after this trial Im definately going to keep using Usenet, but what news group should I go for?

Many recommend Giga news but 24$ a month is to much.. Id rather have a "Download Limit" instead of a "time limit"!
I CAN pay up to 25-30$ but then I want a Download Limit.

I have a 7mbit connection that I want maxed out, and I want to have access to alot of stuff. Ill mostly use NZB files to download btw.

Please offer a newsgroup!
biggrin.gif

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

So after this trial Im definately going to keep using Usenet, but what news group should I go for?

Many recommend Giga news but 24$ a month is to much.. Id rather have a "Download Limit" instead of a "time limit"!

I have a 7mbit connection that I want maxed out, and I want to have access to alot of stuff. Ill mostly use NZB files to download btw.

biggrin.gif

i think what u mean by newsgroup is a server

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/ they have great reviews of various usenet providers

or you meant some sort of nzb indexing site

there is v3.newzbin.com my favorite

or any of the several listed in this thread

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol sinkhead! I can't belive people trying to argue that torrents are better!

Torrents are free which automatically makes them a better option for myself. I've got membership at several private trackers and I max out my downloads very easily.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but if I can get the same thing for free that you're paying for...why would I get usenet? any other advantages?

It seems like a few usenet users act like they're the elite
rolleyes.gif

I'm probably missing something so if you guys could let me know what is so much better about usenet I would be very appreciative. Just keep in mind I get max speed from private trackers and I don't have to pay for anything. Cheers

Usenet's where the scene's at.
And you don't really have to pay. Unless your ISP is AOL ( =P ) My ISP (windstream) gives me free access to usenetserver.com. It's great. And it always works at full speed. I dont' have to seed (which takes forever if you want your ratio good) and Par-N-Rar is the greatest thing in the world.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

biggrin.gif
Usenet-News is my favourite because you buy blocks. For example, I buy 50GB blocks which last forever until I use them up. I'm on an 8GB a month download limit so that's really good.

- Sam

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on an 8GB a month download limitÂ

- Sam

ohmy.gif
8GB , damn , dunno how you survive on that.

I use newshosting unlimited , buy in 6 months subs. Works out to about £7 a month for the 45 day rentention one , but thats just headers. With nzb's if it's on the server , you can grab it
biggrin.gif

Love it's still £1=$2 , makes it so cheap
smile.gif

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how much content do they have on Usenet?

This greatly depends on your usenet provider. Some only hold 10-15 days worth of data - so the selection is very limited. If you're not monitoring and grabbing what you want immediately you may have difficulty finding it. Others, such as Giganews, has over 200 days retention. Meaning you have access to anything posted in the last 200 days!!! With Giganews you can find pretty much anything.
lecture.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is my problem with Grabit? Is the problem that he doesn't include par2s?

No, the problem is your ISP doesn't have full completion. If you use your isp to get the parts it has, then you could signup to one of the free trials and use that to download the missing pieces. Or pay for a one-off 10/20/whatever gb block and use that for fills.

Usenet AND torrents are shit, but usenet is far far better.

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just switched from a 10GB month limit to a unlimited. Yay im free.. I still only have a 768kbs connection. But this month I hit 206GB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hellaNZB is the best usenet downloader i've used. it runs in the background, you just drop a .nzb file in the queue directory, and it will automatically:
1. download, automatically skipping the PARs
2. retrieve any PARs if needed
3. check & repair
4. unrar
5. delete the rar files

For anyone looking for a windows alternative then Altbinz does exactly the same - downloads, checks, automatically gets any pars as needed, repairs and unrars, then deletes the rar/sfv/par files (and can even move ther unrarred file (and associated nfo files) to a directory of your choosing.

I used to use NZB-O-Matic+, which is good but altbinz is great - definitely the best client if you just want to use nzb's. Which can be got for free at newzleech.com and binsearch.info

Never EVER pay for .nzb's, it's just stupid.

I can get 2.5mbyte/second downloads from usenet 24 hours a day - only a few torrent sites can manage that (s**, f** etc).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First I am an ardent usenet fan but IP broadcast can be sidestepped with some of the plugins that send it through onion and the like. Torrents do have a lot to offer but I still feel usenet is superior.

My usenet setup
grabit + quickpar + 7zip (I know the latter 2 are included in new versions to an extent but I use the latter 2 day to day). I believe it is a modded version of powerpost that I use to post stuff.

Provider
giganews (200 days retention is my main reason) + bt when I have a BT connection (nice for grabbing the 200k par2 files, nzbs and such).

Search: headers (although not for stuff like boneless + binsearch ( http://www.binsearch.info/index.php?q=&m=&...font=&postdate= my usual search page) + http://alt.binaries.nl/ (not brilliant but worth a look) + newzleech (on par with binsearch in my opinion) + http://www.nforce.nl/ (no searching but details what is out there) + I did have a torrent site bookmarked as it was the best TV guide I found (it seems to have been taken out though). If I remember it exists I use the free inbuilt grabit search for basic stuff.

@iritegood it is my understanding the scene is based around FTP sites but for us mere mortals I agree usenet is where it is at.

As for "teh 3xpensee.. it is too much"
I agree paying to seem somewhat counter intuitive and when I was 14 or so it would have been hard as hell to keep up but there are cheap ones and you pay for X gigs options. Also the US dollar is very weak right now so it is skip/hold back on lunch for a few days and have it paid for those who are not in the US. I find Giganews can back up what they charge though and I doubt you will find all that many people who will say otherwise (some of the cheaper providers can do 120 days retention but other be as good as giganews).

To end
retention: giganews clocks 200 these days (and has gone up from 90 since I started again with it not so long ago) sure some torrents might last that long or even longer but every file stays for that long on usenet.

Speed: on average 4 seconds after the start of my download my connection is maxed, in the extreme it is 10 seconds. This equates to watching a TV show after another has finished for all but the most mediocre connections. Likewise you do not have to have multiple uploads which is usually what kills routers/connections.

Quality: usenet is the home of x264, mkv style rips (my 350 meg x264 TV rip done in a fairly half assed manner will likely beat any 350 and more 700 meg xvid rips)

Security: peerguardian and co may help but I dare say they complicate things and are far from infallible. Most usenet lawsuits are for discussion groups or to frustrate the forums/irc channels of uploading teams/groups rather than the stuff founs with torrents/new style p2p. There is spam on usenet sure but it is not that bad for big things and not half as frustrating as a junk torrent (this may change if you pay for a chunk of space though).

Availabilty: Torrents work and I have no argument but 99% of the time it is on usenet.

Oh and a tip for grabit users: to hold downloads of pars/sfvs and such until you need them create a new server called dummy server and set to zero connections, zero retries and enter a bad provider. Right click on what you want to hold and choose download with other server and choose dummy server.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone heard of Par-N-Rar? It's great, just show it your directory and It'll monitor any par/rar files and automatically extract and repair the files. It deltes them too. You don't have to do ANY work!

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does newleecher need to be paid for or something? I used the 'supersearch service' does that cost money?

Looks like it's gonna take me a little bit to work out this usenet business.

Damn it's only got 1.5 day retention...anyone know where I can get a free trial? want to know what all the fuss is about

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.