Nawashi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you open device manager, does it show a new device connected when your switch is plugged in? Try a different cord and different port. Even if it works with other devices, maybe the switch detects it as charge only and proceeds with boot or something, worth a shot to try.

Nope, and I have found out the issue. I bought a charging only cable. Dont be like me, haha. Got it working safe and sound now. Thanks for the try to help anyway!!

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a spare joycon rail/track with the intent to use it as an RCM jig. Does it matter which pins I short together, as long as it's pin 10 to 1,7 or 9? Any advantages or disadvantages to any?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a spare joycon rail/track with the intent to use it as an RCM jig. Does it matter which pins I short together, as long as it's pin 10 to 1,7 or 9? Any advantages or disadvantages to any?
Pins 1 or 7 are preferred. Pin 9 will not reliably short pin 10 without the Joy-Con being inserted into the rail.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, hypothetically, if I were to solder pin 10 to pin 9 AND to pin 7, would that be fine?
If you were to solder, you would solder pin 10 to either pins 7 or 1, not both. However, there is a possibility that Nintendo may ban you for having a constantly shorted pin 10 so its not recommended to solder it. The best and safest modification would be to install a reed switch of which there are plenty of tutorials available on GBATemp for you to follow.

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were to solder, you would solder pin 10 to either pins 7 or 1, not both. However, there is a possibility that Nintendo may ban you for having a constantly shorted pin 10 so its not recommended to solder it. The best and safest modification would be to install a reed switch of which there are plenty of tutorials available on GBATemp for you to follow.
I'm using a spare track off of a broken joycon, so it isn't attached to a joycon at all, essentially the same as an RCM jig, but made from official nintendo hardware. My question, though, is COULD I solder pins 7,9, and 10 together, or could that damage something somehow? My soldering iron tip is too large to reliably solder pin 10 to 7, without accidentally bridging it to either pin 8 or 9 as well (and I'm obviously going to want to avoid pin 8)

Last edited by Darklinkreturns,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a spare track off of a broken joycon, so it isn't attached to a joycon at all, essentially the same as an RCM jig, but made from official nintendo hardware. My question, though, is COULD I solder pins 7,9, and 10 together, or could that damage something somehow? My soldering iron tip is too large to reliably solder pin 10 to 7, without accidentally bridging it to either pin 8 or 9 as well (and I'm obviously going to want to avoid pin 8)
OK I understand what you mean now. Yes, you can solder pins 7, 9, and 10 altogether. Here is a list of what each of the pins do for future reference: https://reswitched.tech/hardware/joycon

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually had an idea of using just the rail of the joycon and putting it into a joycon strap for an "OEM" jig. If you don't mind to report back with your results that would be AWESOME

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the soldering pin 10-1 and works like charm! (spare joy-con rail)

IMG_20180607_233353.jpg

Last edited by huma_dawii,

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually had an idea of using just the rail of the joycon and putting it into a joycon strap for an "OEM" jig. If you don't mind to report back with your results that would be AWESOME
That's a cool idea, not sure how one would orient it correctly in the strap though. Works fine as a jig btw

Last edited by Darklinkreturns,

Mil098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As others have done, I bought some spare joycon rails from ebay and soldered pin 1 and 10.

Getting the switch into RCM mode works every time now vs the 3d printed jigs and paper clip methods.

As a bonus I now also don't worry about possible damage to the switch using the other methods.
joy con rail.jpg

ferrums

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ferrums.de
XP
Country
Germany
A resistor would also work (for getting into RCM, and having no connection problems over a direct connection to console), but I am cool and got a switch on my JoyCon.
a.jpg

Last edited by ferrums,
Reactions: Mil098

Ragenrok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for this guide! Decided to install a small push button into the back of my joycon for RCM and it works great. I didn't like the idea of the reed switch and having to have a magnet around for it and the jigs seem like they will just destroy the pins.

IMG_20180802_102506.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for my m0 trinket to make my own payload injector lol

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this guide! Decided to install a small push button into the back of my joycon for RCM and it works great. I didn't like the idea of the reed switch and having to have a magnet around for it and the jigs seem like they will just destroy the pins.

View attachment 138232

Why do you care about destroying the pins when you destroyed the housing of the joycon...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 138232

That button is WAY too tall

Ragenrok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do you care about destroying the pins when you destroyed the housing of the joycon...

No offence but that's a very silly comparison, why would I want to risk damaging the pins of my switch rendering my ability yo enter rcm with any method instead of just a small hole in a joycon? Don't know about you but I never look at the back of the joycon and don't see it. Joycon is over a year old so its not like I've ruined a warrenty.

That button is WAY too tall
Meh personal preference, I could shave it down but it makes it easier to press but its also in the right spot that you don't feel it while gripping the joycon when its attached or detached. If I do decide to shorten it its just a soft plastic and can easily be cut.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offence but that's a very silly comparison, why would I want to risk damaging the pins of my switch rendering my ability yo enter rcm with any method instead of just a small hole in a joycon? Don't know about you but I never look at the back of the joycon and don't see it. Joycon is over a year old so its not like I've ruined a warrenty.
Because you can easily replace the rail. By modding the joycon as you did, you need to replace the entire joycon itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o