• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You're making shit out of thin air, I never mentioned Latin America, you're deflecting the actual issue.

And by the way, the US didn't bring freedom to Chile in the 70's.
You're full of diarrhea anyways. Like I said, our country helped to beat ex-URSS once and it's fact. If you don't want to fight, go join United Nations or WHO and chain yourself as some form of protest, they're waiting there for you, tard.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Theirs 8 million Russian speaking in Ukraine (as their primary language), most located to the Easter.

Roughy 30 million speak Ukrainian. You are literally wrong in so many regards that I don't even wanna hear you speak a word about it.
Let me solve that mystery for you, Einstein.
Most Ukrainians understand Russian and Ukrainian equally well. If you consider Ukrainian a language, you can call them bilingual. The facts remain: 2/3 understand Russian on a native-speaker level.
Also it's not a borderlands for "Russia" it's a borderland between multiple nations since surprise surprise! Ukraine wasn't Russian first.
We can debate whose borders but the fact remains: it means borderlands.
Oh and in Hong Kong you don't speak Mandarin. You speak Cantonese.
People in HK grow up bilingual (and sometimes trilingual if you consider English; usually not on the same level as the other two though). So which facts am I "literally wrong about"?

Lucaserf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You're full of diarrhea anyways. Like I said, our country beat ex-URSS once and it's fact. If you don't want to fight, go join United Nations or WHO and chain yourself as some form of protest, they're waiting there for you, tard.
The fuck you're even talking about?

Want to go to war? Easy, join the Ukrainian Foreign Legion. Don't pussy out now, are you afraid?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Let me solve that mystery for you, Einstein.
Most Ukrainians understand Russian and Ukrainian equally well. If you consider Ukrainian a language, you can call them bilingual. The facts remain: 2/3 understand Russian on a native-speaker level.

We can debate whose borders but the fact remains: it means borderlands.

People in HK grow up bilingual (and sometimes trilingual if you consider English; usually not on the same level as the other two though). So which facts am I "literally wrong about"?
As Primary language. I can speak 3 languages. Does that make me Norwegian as well?
Or that I can speak english? Does that make me a Brit?

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
you're not a linguist or a sociologist so please shut the fuck up when talking about something you have no idea of
Actually I am a linguist. Completely irrelevant. Attack the argument, not the person. Here it is again:

"I never denied the power imbalance between languages. Russian is the dominant language when compared to Ukrainian. German compared to Dutch, etc. The fact that this dominance has been inforced does not in any way negate my point: fight the dominant language and invite trouble."

No hypocrisy on my part.

blakeana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blazeana.neocities.org
XP
Country
Poland
Actually I am a linguist. Completely irrelevant. Attack the argument, not the person. Here it is again:

"I never denied the power imbalance between languages. Russian is the dominant language when compared to Ukrainian. German compared to Dutch, etc. The fact that this dominance has been inforced does not in any way negate my point: fight the dominant language and invite trouble."

No hypocrisy on my part.
no you're not
and if you somehow actually have a degree or anything then i have serious doubts about the quality of your university that handed you this fucking degree

again russian is not the dominant language, ukrainian is

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Primary language. I can speak 3 languages. Does that make me Norwegian as well?
Or that I can speak english? Does that make me a Brit?
You mean American.. lol sorry

No hypocrisy on my part.
…. Suuuuuuuuurrrrrreeeeeeeeeees

Lucaserf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If you consider Ukrainian a language
There is no "If", Ukrainian is a language, just because they share similarities (No surprise, they have the same origin), doesn't mean they are the same, nor that russian is the most dominant language in Ukraine. Going by your logic, if only 2/3 understand both russian and ukrainian, ukrainian is still the dominant language, after all, the whole population understands it, unlike russian.

A familiar example: you could say the same for portuguese and spanish, many people in Brazil understands spanish, I'd say around 2/3, that doesn't make us spanish or makes it the dominant language in Brazil, see what I mean? We can understand, doesn't mean we use it

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
no you're not
and if you somehow actually have a degree or anything then i have serious doubts about the quality of your university that handed you this fucking degree

again russian is not the dominant language, ukrainian is
I have serious doubt you are actually transsexual. Want to share pics? I send you my degree, you send me evidence of male and female characteristics of yours. I don´t mean your female way of arguing a la "please stop" "oh i dont want to hear a word from you"

Russian is dominant in the sense of having more power and spread. Even among Ukrainian native speakers it is not uncommon to speak in Russian despite the absence of Russians. I know because I have witnessed it many times (I am not considered a Russian-speaker; I understand it somewhat and can distinguish it from Ukrainian).

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "If", Ukrainian is a language, just because they share similarities (No surprise, they have the same origin), doesn't mean they are the same, nor that russian is the most dominant language in Ukraine. Going by your logic, if only 2/3 understand both russian and ukrainian, ukrainian is still the dominant language, after all, the whole population understands it, unlike russian.

A familiar example: you could say the same for portuguese and spanish, many people in Brazil understands spanish, I'd say around 2/3, that doesn't make us spanish or makes it the dominant language in Brazil, see what I mean? We can understand, doesn't mean we use it
at this Point, He realized he done Fucked up and he just talking circles, because he Embarrassed himself and his CCP handlers

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
at this Point, He realized he done Fucked up and he just talking circles, because he Embarrassed himself and his CCP handlers
It is called CPC, not CCP.
I stand by what I said. Russian is the dominant language (compared to Ukrainian).

Russian speakers in Ukraine: 100% (2/3 on native-speaker level)
Ukrainian speakers in Ukraine: Less than the above (millions fewer)
Do Russians sometimes speak Ukrainian in the absence of Ukrainian? No.
Do Ukrainians sometimes speak Russian in the absence of Russians? Yes

Ergo Russian is dominant. You can whine about it all you want.

Reactions: Dark Ronin

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is called CPC, not CCP.
I stand by what I said. Russian is the dominant language (compared to Ukrainian).

Russian speakers in Ukraine: 100% (2/3 on native-speaker level)
Ukrainian speakers in Ukraine: Less than the above (millions fewer)
Do Russians sometimes speak Ukrainian in the absence of Ukrainian? No.
Do Ukrainians sometimes speak Russian in the absence of Russians? Yes

Ergo Russian is dominant. You can whine about it all you want.
Funny how you just admitted that CCP is activity trying to Abolish Cantonese because the the Captial Speak Mandarin but the same situation Ukraine is trying to enforce the language of its choice and you condone War crimes..
man, You going off the CCP approved scripted and I don't think your handlers will like it much...
so what your stating is that India can legal libertate Tibet ? weird thing to advocate

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Is racism against Russians going to be a problem after all this?
unlikely?
Reasoning:racism against Chinese people, was mostly popularized by trump after not walking down on well "kungflu"
if were to assume that Trump still has some sway, people wouldn't be racist to Russians due to Trump calling vlad "smart"
However, the reality of the situation is that Trump doesn't have much sway anymore, and that the focus is on Biden, so as long as Biden doesn't use some derogatory term for Russians, I believe it won't be an issue.
+ most of the media hasn't covered it as Russians wanting this, ergo, that Putin, wants this.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Russia's latest justification for the invasion of Ukraine: Stopping a war in Ukraine

1646690158494.jpeg

First it was Nato, Then Nazis, Then Russian being oppressed now.. the Stop hitting yourself defense

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So tell me, why USA didn't get banned from everywhere back that days while Russia do novadays?
People were willing to believe that those responsible for 9/11 were in Afghanistan or Iraq. Flimsy excuse or not, Russia doesn't even have that much to fall back on for its actions in Ukraine.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Funny how you just admitted that CCP is activity trying to Abolish Cantonese because the the Captial Speak Mandarin but the same situation Ukraine is trying to enforce the language of its choice and you condone War crimes..
man, You going off the CCP approved scripted and I don't think your handlers will like it much...
so what your stating is that India can legal libertate Tibet ? weird thing to advocate
The CPC is not trying to abolish Cantonese. It encourages to keep alive all kinds of languages within China.
If they force a TV station to broadcast in Mandarin (let´s say the story is true), then they are promoting the dominant language, i.e. Mandarin. So there is no hypocrisy. If HK were independent and banned Mandarin, then there would be an equivalency.

English is dominant in comparison to Chinese. There are more people on this earth whose mother tongue is Chinese, but there are more English-speaking people on this earth (including just comparing native-speaker levels). Everyone in the world understands "hello" but only part of the world understands "nihao". The Chinese people learn English, the English-speaking world does not study Chinese. China could declare war on English but this would be against their own interest. Ukrainians wanted to force the separation from Russians at all costs, while being ethnically, historically and economically tied to them by the hips. They wanted conflict and now they got it. It is not a justification. Just plain facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8