Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

grimtooth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the iphone fails on too many things to be a gaming platform.
you still didn't explain how those tiny apps are considered games.
i also don't see any real invention in any of the apps you mentioned, they got some nice 'ideas' but i won't spend 5$+ on crap like that.
your apple propaganda is a joke, go somewhere else.

-Mew-

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I do agree on one thing, Iphone will never be anything more then a casual gaming device with indy games and people playing them when they're bored on a trip, while the DS or PSP are handheld devices, I mostly play my DS at home, since I play RPGs and games that really aren't for the 20 minute ride to somewhere.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
grimtooth said:
i also don't see any real invention in any of the apps you mentioned, they got some nice 'ideas' but i won't spend 5$+ on crap like that.

Not all games in the Iphone sucks (althrought there are the minor), take for example Bejewelled, Playing in the touch screen is very intuitive.

I feel this thread is becoming like the ones regarding the release of the Chrono Trigger version for the DS. The release of old games are based in the nostalgia they make us feel. If not, every people who plays a game in an emulator were wrong all the time. Yes, maybe the pokemon franchise needs something really new to shine for us, american players, but for the primary targeted audience, it is good. That's why the history is so somplistic, but if you look at your indie games, the vast majority of them lacks of history or has a very used heroe-thing history.

Not all Indie games make a succes in the industry. Take for example Every Extend and N+. They were more or less know when indie, but when the rights where put in a company, N+ became a succes, but every extend didn't sold well.

I like the pokemon franchise more for the fights and the diversity of pokemons than their history, for that I play more complex RPG's (like TWEWY or Final fantasy).

But I still play Strikers 1945 and Aero fighters in my emulators while I can.

Also, calling Mario an overrated game means trolling for me, SMB wii and DS are really taking back to it's roots the game, same as happend to the Kart franchise, being the GCN version the worst.

-Mew-

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Arkansaw said:
I just remembered why I got tired of the series...it's too easy. I just got 8 badges and don't feel like continuing any more :S

Well it is made with kids in mind you know...

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
grimtooth said:

The reason I didn't explain why I the iPhone is a games platform and why I didn't explain how they could be considered games is because I don't think they are fully fledged games or that the iPhone is a great platform.
My apple propaganda? No I don't think so, this is pro indie development and experiment, not pro apple. The games are not apple products! Besides I've never payed $5 for anything, many thongs are free and mostcost between 69p and £1.19.
If you don't consider those good examples of invetion in a gaming context, then what do you consider examples of innovation, any suggestions that are somehow much more inventive than these would be appreciated.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Mew- said:
Aeladya said:
Does the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mean anything to you? Seriously, why mess with a successful franchise if it's doing well. You may end up alienating your fanbase by fixing a system that already works. Yeah it is the same, but honestly you could say the same thing about any franchise. Final Fantasy has the same basic principals, Mario, Zelda, Harvest Moon, ect all run along the same lines. You're basically saying that all these franchises are trash because they don't change enough. If you don't like it, don't play them, but there is no need to troll or flame others for the things they like. Sometimes the simplest games are the most fun games.

He does have a point and a lot of leading people and critics are talking about this, notice all the things you just mentioned are indeed japnese, and the japanese game industry is in a serious crisis... When was the last time you saw anything "new" out of japan (Please don't mention westernised adaptations like quantum theory etc... thats not new it's just Gears of War meets animu). For the last 10 years it's been a remake of a remake, Pokemon has evolved form a Charmander into a Charizard but it's still a "fire pokemon" it's just stronger, it's the same stale mechanics, I mean I'm a fan of the pokemon series but even (mind you I play games in my free time all the time)I couldn't play them all because it gets boring, I played platinum for like 2~3 hours. It's the same thing as well the other games... the first pokemon was revolutionary, but with each sequel it's getting more and more stale, we still have only 4 slots for skills... we still have only have a maximum of 3 evolutions, we're still getting the same battle screen for 10 years... sure dual fights made an attempt of doing something but nothing really innovative and fun. If I played through all the pokemon games I'd be bored out of my mind with the new ones.

So he does have a certain point in that we can see the japanese industry just doing what the american film industry or sports games are doing for the past few years, trying to make as much money as possible with the same stuff they made 10 years ago or more.

So yeah he does have a point about indie games and people that actually do stuff, we need more games that do something new and become new IPs.

You shouldn't take him as a flame or troll, take it as a critic that wants some inovation to the standard formula, a man who wants fusion power instead of nuclear that old, dirty and radioactive (inb4 people use this quote to say that I'm implying you that your pokemans are dirty filth).

No I understand his point, but he's basically telling everyone who plays this game that they are idiots and they should only be playing the newest crap out there, which is pretty much trolling. He's just trying to get a rise out of us. If he wasn't he would have worded this a lot better.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I'd like to take a chance to say "Troll".

Secondly, I genuinely love the franchise. I like the nostalgic aspect, but the series itself is really well done in my opinion.
Your argument only works if there are no new fans coming in, but there are millions of new fans every year. Although you don't like a franchise, you can't say these things and claim that they are fact. Not only is that a blatant troll move, it's also considered slander.

Example: I personally dislike Final Fantasy games, but I don't say things about it that may rile up fans and cause problems, mostly because I respect that they enjoy it regardless of how I feel about it.

Why isn't this thread locked yet?
obvious_troll.preview.jpg

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
MINDLESS FANBOYS? Well..

Back then this was a great game for me. I liked it. I fell in love with it, etc.
I could say at one point I have been crazy about it(when i was 11). I collected
every single thing that had pokemon in it, as long as i can afford it.

Its not the best game, that's true. Nobody says it is, right? It is a great game. But
nowadays, standards have gone up, and games like this aren't cut out to be called
great anymore, let alone decent.

Its not the best game but I think its the best version of the franchise. (Pokemon Yellow 2nd lol)

It all comes down to how you look at it. Nostalgia factor doesn't count as a criterion
for considering it is a great game.

Gameplay - repetitive
Graphics - we've seen better
Story - old
Music - old (but kickass even if you listen to it now)
etc.

Yeah, its not good at all when you look at it technically.
But as the kids inside us tell,
"this has been one of the best games I've played so far! I'm not gonna sleep and
I'll train my Pidgeotto the whole night. Then I'll show it to my friends tomorrow!
" -- enough said.

I'd say you're one of those people who want progress so bad, that along the way
destroys anything that blocks your path, yeah. We've progressed so far
that we forget that we're destroying the world as we do.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
i thought that the ipad was the new apple gaming device with its cut down osx, no steam and source games for you ipad

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

People here don't like logic or the truth.
Prepare your flame shield.
EDIT: didn't notice this was 8 pages long already.
Lolworthy.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd Be nice if people read my other posts on here as well... Yes obvious troll is obvious when obvious troll has troll in sig. (obvious) but I did actually have a message behind it.

PS I did not say don't play the old stuff only play the new stuff.. I said don't endlessly buy the remakes of the old stuff, the new old stuff if you like! I still love pokemon blue!

And remeber you can't spell troll without "l" "o" and "l"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
Be nice if people read my other posts on here as well... Yes obvious troll is obvious when obvious troll has troll in sig. (obvious) but I did actually have a message behind it.

PS I did not say don't play the old stuff only play the new stuff.. I said don't endlessly buy the remakes of the old stuff, the new old stuff if you like! I still love pokemon blue!

If you had a message you should've made it less provoking and inflammatory. I could easily express my disdain towards anything without offending people much. By saying Pokemon is "garbage" and is just "mindless fanboys" is not only rude, but it's clearly trolling. Saying "Yes I was trolling but I had a message to it!" is still trolling. Trolling is not something to brag about or be proud of; in the end it gets you banned.

I'll say Pokemon is losing steam but the fact is that it's still a mind blowing amount of content and is still insanely popular for a reason. No, not fanboys, but because of the whole scene of competitive battling and the sheer amount of time one can put into a Pokemon game. You can pump weeks and weeks into it, training the perfect party, capturing Pokemon, etc. Some people like the game, others don't. Agreeing to disagree is the best thing to do, insulting and bashing one side because they don't see eye level to you is immature.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
It'd Be nice if people read my other posts on here as well... Yes obvious troll is obvious when obvious troll has troll in sig. (obvious) but I did actually have a message behind it.

And remeber you can't spell troll without "l" "o" and "l"

Ummm some of us don't have working cartridges anymore. Mine won't keep the save so why not rebuy the game? Replacing the battery may be cheaper, but it's too much of a hassle, even though my dad could do it.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I just realize I still don't understand why pokemon is RPG, other than the leveling and stats, where is the roleplaying element?? Unless you mean roleplaying as a slave driver and animal abuser...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: off to make lunch. l8er guys :) [ham sammies]