Hacking The perfect external hard drive thread!

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, since there are alot of people that are willing to buy an external harddrive for backup loader, I wanted to create a thread that lists the harddrives that work perfectly on any cIOS, including cIOSrev12.
That means no speed issues, no spindown, drive gets detected every time etc.
Post your results here and I'll make sure I'll add them to the top
wink.gif

I'll kick off.

Drives reported to be working 100%

WD MyBook Essentials (1TB, one WBFS partition) : Works great on all cIOS revisions released so far. No slowdowns experienced on rev12. (My recommendation
biggrin.gif
)
Iomega eGo (1TB) : Works great
Verbatim SmartDisk External USB HardDrive (500 GB) : Works great.
WD Elements External Hard Drive (750 GB, model # WD7500E035-00) : Appears to be working great!
WD Elements External Hard Drive (500 GB) : Works great as well, altho the drive is perfect for the Wii, the power supply included is a piece of trash and breaks easily!
WD MyPassport (320 GB) : Works great!

RiPPn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a WD Elements External Hard Drive 750 GB, model # WD7500E035-00 it works flawless, no spindown that I have experienced. Only thing that sucks is having to unplug it when your done. Would love a USB powered drive that shut on and off with the Wii. Heard great things about the Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB.

The wiki is dated and not very personal, I like the idea of a thread cause you get personal experience. My.02.

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RiPPn said:
I have a WD Elements External Hard Drive 750 GB, model # WD7500E035-00 it works flawless, no spindown that I have experienced. Only thing that sucks is having to unplug it when your done. Would love a USB powered drive that shut on and off with the Wii. Heard great things about the Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB.
Thanks for the submission, added
smile.gif
Also, my WD MyBook Essentials turns off with the Wii

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CorteX_ said:
Hey guys, since there are alot of people that are willing to buy an external harddrive for backup loader, I wanted to create a thread that lists the harddrives that work perfectly on any cIOS, including cIOSrev12.
That means no speed issues, no spindown, drive gets detected every time etc.
Post your results here and I'll make sure I'll add them to the top
wink.gif

I'll kick off.

WD MyBook Essentials (1TB, one WBFS partition) : Works great on all cIOS revisions released so far. No slowdowns experienced on rev12. (My recommendation
biggrin.gif
)
Iomega eGo (1TB) : Works great
WD Elements External Hard Drive (750 GB, model # WD7500E035-00) : Appears to be working great!
WD Elements External Hard Drive (500 GB) : Works great as well, altho the drive is perfect for the Wii, the power supply included is a piece of trash and breaks easily!

Don't recommend WD drives. They are expensive anyway, and CAN suffer from the spin down issue (without being able to tell before you buy).

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Verbatim SmartDisk 500gb External USB HardDrive - Works perfectly. I have tried 4 or 5 different loaders, all without any problems. There is not spin-down on this HD, so will it not be an issue. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's powered on before or during the USB Loader, it always gets detected. I have been very pleased with this drive.

babibel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
RiPPn said:
I think it happens if you shutdown your wii in idle mode with usb power on (for battery reloading) of with Connect24 on
How is your wii led ? red or orange ?

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Don't recommend WD drives. They are expensive anyway, and CAN suffer from the spin down issue (without being able to tell before you buy).
WD has a tool for their drives so you can disable the spindown
wink.gif

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
benjnselinay said:
LaCie , 160 Go external drive : works like a charm with all loaders , cIos and WBFS manager !!
Hey, first of all thanks for the contribution, but there are tons of different laCie drives. would appreciate it if you could find the specific product on their website and I'll add it here

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CorteX_ said:
QUOTE said:
wink.gif

Please, link me to this. I can't find anything on Value on WD's site.

ChronoX_

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RabidZombie said:
CorteX_ said:
QUOTE said:
wink.gif

I think it are the tools that are 'pre-copied' on the HDD when you buy it.

gadgetware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a Seagate Freeagent Go 250GB without any problems. Haven't had a glitch yet but I used the supplied software to disable the spin-down feature before I formatted it. Since it's powered by the console it automatically turns on/off. It was also pretty inexpensive!

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
RabidZombie said:
CorteX_ said:
QUOTE said:
wink.gif

WD doesn't have a tool which can disable spindown! Please get your facts right.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maxtor One Touch Mini 4 250GB external 2.5 drive works fine with every loader ive tried and all ciso revisions.

You will need do download an app from maxtor/seagate to fix the spindown issue.By default my drive was set to go into sleep mode or whatever its called after 5 minutes of inactivity.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
benjnselinay said:
LaCie , 160 Go external drive : works like a charm with all loaders , cIos and WBFS manager !!

are you sure about that i had a brand new lacie ext hard drive it refused to work with any loader think it may have been 250 gb though if that makes a difference...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up +1