Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Because, it's really not about you or me.
It's about Wii.

CODE[16:09:24] then
[16:09:32] shouldnt the revolution be called 'Us'?
[16:09:33] the revolution is built on poor grammar
[16:09:55] fantastic
[16:09:57] lol

LOL
rofl2.gif

I'm laughing and crying at the same time, it looks like this --->
rofl2.gif
cry.gif

Nintendo just did itself a huge injury, it doesn't matter if I like the name or not. Nintendo has just cemented potty jokes and the idea that Nintendo is only for kids forever into their history.

"When you turn it, and you see the graphics. You will say Weeeeeee!"

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm seriously considering not buying one anymore for the first time, just because of the humiliation
frown.gif

Edit: Oh, btw, do a whois on "nintendowii.com"
Your theory goes down the drain
frown.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
oh god first Puck posting a copycat thread, now Nintendo calls their system Wii.. what's next? Hopefully nintendo's next handheld won't be called the nintendo joy.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I readed some where that in Japan , our April Fools is not the same time as their April Fools , and theirs is tommorow.

The information is all over their press site, and it's been picked up by anaylsts and newswires across the world - if it was fake, THAT would be the real mistake here.
smile.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, how many people will let people touch their Wiis? Hmm? I sure as hell will let my friends touch my Wii, not sure about my brother though. He breaks things...

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt if it was the "Nintendo We" there would be this much unrest; just something to think about.

There are just so many unfounded arguments in this topic. Just because a certain age group (read: 10-12 year olds) and an area of the world associate "Wee" with "Pee" or "Penis" or what have you, absolutely does not mean "Nintendo has made a huge mistake".

Granted, one would think that this had been taken into consideration the multiple years the console has been in development, and I trust it has. If I recall, there was quite a bit of opposition to "Gamecube" as well; me personally, I just think people are going to find anything to hammer Nintendo on; thats just the way it is, and the way it always will be.

Like it or not, Wii is here to stay. Speaking for the American market, at least, in conversation, yes, the name may sound a bit awkward if someone takes Wii out of context. In commercials, ads, etc. however, Wii will be printed. This should be enough, as people now have a mental image to flash when the name is spoken. So instead of hearing Wii and thinking "Wee", they'll think, oh, yes, "Wii". Brand identification. Its rather clever, too. At least all the controversy is getting the name out and remembered.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you know what they say: "All publicity is good publicity." However, not all brand names are good brand names. Kyoji, you may think wee're underestimating the general consumer. But I think you're overestimating them. If I said to someone (without any clarification of the name): "Did you hear about the Nintendo Wee!?", they would say "Wtf, is that the new Nintendo system? Laaaame", and that would be the end of it.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If its an April fools, whatever. I can live with the name whether its real or not.

As for the average consumer, if you're talking to them about the console, and mention "Wii", I'd hope they'd be more inqusitive than judgmental at that point. Given that most people will find the name strange at first, some explenation to the name will most likely be required.

Nintendo stated explicitly that they wanted their name to be, in a sense, out there. They knew that explanation would be required to really convey to the consumer what the name meant, and even more so, that they would have to "experience" the console first hand before they really understood the name.

Nintendo knew this going into the decision, just read the interview.
Whether this was a good decision or not will be shown in time, but I'd like to beleive the people paid to create and evaluate the implications and consequences of brand identities would know better than me or you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck