The Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Save File on my Gameboy Advance SP Disappeared...

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That probably means the battery inside the cartridge has died. Sorry to say, your save is gone, only thing you can do now is change the battery and restart fro scratch.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did this happen?

How can I recover my saved file?

Does the file save to the cartridge or the Gameboy Advance SP?
There are people saying that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga don't use battery to save the progress and they used SRAM instead.

I think that your save may be corrupted.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's different colored ones...
What are you talking about? The GBA SP battery might come in different colors, but there's no way the battery inside the cartridge would come in different colors. But as suggested above, there might not be a battery in the cartridge at all.

If indeed it does use SRAM and the SRAM is corrupted, you could conceivably try to dump the SRAM and see if there's anything there - assuming you haven't started a new game in the meantime. Typically, you would do this with a DS Lite, or a hacked Wii with a GBA->GCN cable, or a hacked Gamecube with a Game Boy Player, or some other third-party device.

But really, it's not a long game and it would be much less trouble to just start over. It's not like Pokemon or something.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There are people saying that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga don't use battery to save the progress and they used SRAM instead.

Seems like you have some info mixed up there, SRAM is the save type that requires a battery. Flash and EEPROM do not.
There's also FRAM, which is like SRAM but without a battery, but I don't think any games use it, people have had some luck replacing SRAM chips with FRAM ones themselves though..

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What is sram?

I use an actual cartridge and not a rom I found online...

How could the save files be corrupted?
Post automatically merged:

What are you talking about? The GBA SP battery might come in different colors, but there's no way the battery inside the cartridge would come in different colors. But as suggested above, there might not be a battery in the cartridge at all.

If indeed it does use SRAM and the SRAM is corrupted, you could conceivably try to dump the SRAM and see if there's anything there - assuming you haven't started a new game in the meantime. Typically, you would do this with a DS Lite, or a hacked Wii with a GBA->GCN cable, or a hacked Gamecube with a Game Boy Player, or some other third-party device.

But really, it's not a long game and it would be much less trouble to just start over. It's not like Pokemon or something.

How does one "dump" sram with all of the methods you mentioned?

I have a Wii and a NGC. I have some files that disappeared from the Wii and many files that I can't move. I don't have a modification to my Wii that I know of for certain and definitely not on my GameCube. I love the not wireless traditional Nintendo controllers for GameCube and I wanted to buy an adapter so I could play them on my Wii with all games or nearly all games but I can't find someone who is an active seller

The DS Lite I have works very well.

I don't like to play games on the Wii as much as the GC or DS though... The Wii's wireless controllers bother me and the tapping and scratching on the DS bothers me also.
Post automatically merged:

Seems like you have some info mixed up there, SRAM is the save type that requires a battery. Flash and EEPROM do not.
There's also FRAM, which is like SRAM but without a battery, but I don't think any games use it, people have had some luck replacing SRAM chips with FRAM ones themselves though..

The cartridge I have is just a usual grey cartridge with the game sticker on the front... It doesn't have one of those round batteries attached to it (THAT I CAN SEE anyways)

Last edited by ItsProbablyNOTMe,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is sram?
SRAM = static random-access memory and it is flash on chipset in GBA cartridge.

Most GBA games use SRAM and some GBA games used battery, but battery saves were very common in GB/GBC but less common with GBA.

I use an actual cartridge and not a rom I found online...
Actual cartridge has SRAM built-in on cartridge and ROM doesn't.

How could the save files be corrupted?
It does happen with some games and I lost my saves with few GBA games long time ago.

If it wasn't corrupt, it has with faulty chipset or SRAM didn't work.

Just try to start new game and save it to see if there is same problem. If new game is saved successfully, so it is possibly corrupted.

Note: After saw a picture, this game use EEPROM based save - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4040224550...gf0V4_mtoLNCbbjUAMBgWWBRmfbl2BaBoCdmwQAvD_BwE

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The small grey cartridge is my MaL: SSS game cartridge and the other is an example I've seen online of a memory card and a game (Polaris?) with an attached memory card (I don't own the long, wide game cartridges in the image but I've asked about the memory cards that I see for sale like that before (because I don't think I've ever seen them in person (maybe))

Attachments

• 20230308_005325.jpg
    20230308_005325.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230308_005317.jpg
    20230308_005317.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230308_005308.jpg
    20230308_005308.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230308_004943_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308_004943_Mercari.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 23

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops, didn't saw your post and people on internet are just saying battery saves and SRAM (FRAM, EEPROM, flash).

There is clear - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga use EEPROM save.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
other is an example I've seen online of a memory card and a game (Polaris?) with an attached memory card
Please try to stay focused. I have no idea why you are suddenly mentioning these or why you started talking about "different colored ones".

Do you have a flashcart for your DS Lite?

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please try to stay focused. I have no idea why you are suddenly mentioning these or why you started talking about "different colored ones".

Do you have a flashcart for your DS Lite?

The different colored ones I'm referring to are THE DIFFERENT COLORS OF GBA SP BATTERY THAT I SEE FOR SALE ONLINE... some of the batteries are a pastel blue-green color and some are a dark grey and some are a pastel blue, etc (and more)

I don't have a flash cart (yet MAYBE).

but there are many different flash carts for sale and I'm not sure which ones to buy.

SD card is not my best thing to use

I see some online for sale that use a TF card

Some descriptions of the items mention "fatty" "fat" card but because they're isn't an image provided in the description of what that is, I'm not sure what they're referring to.

I am not sure which one to buy

I have problems with devices and SD Cards

My SD cards just disappear

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As noted then this game uses EEPROM so no chance of battery fun in this one.

2 general scenarios.

1) You turned it off too soon after saving/while saving

2) The game somehow internally corrupted it. Can be many things but cross that bridge as and when.

EEPROM can die but it is super rare. Don't think we have had any desolder themselves like we saw for GB/GBC games yet.

If you have not done anything yet then stop right now and find a DS/DS lite and DS flash cart (or some other means of dumping a GBA save) and dump what you have. We might be able to use what remains to recreate part of the save (it sounds like there is no backup embedded within it like say pokemon but who knows).

If you have started a new game then this gets harder as it will probably have overwritten what it has with something new and more likely you will be recreating you game with cheats, or just cheating to get back to the point before.

Reactions: Nix_Lon

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but there are many different flash carts for sale and I'm not sure which ones to buy.
For the DS Lite, pretty much any one of them will do, even very old ones. The only thing to watch out for is that some of the oldest ones will only accept 2 GB SD cards – which is plenty of space for most applications, but 2 GB SD cards might be a little hard to come by these days. (To be clear, you're looking for a "Slot-1" cart.)

SD card is not my best thing to use
Well, that's your problem, isn't it?

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the DS Lite, pretty much any one of them will do, even very old ones. The only thing to watch out for is that some of the oldest ones will only accept 2 GB SD cards – which is plenty of space for most applications, but 2 GB SD cards might be a little hard to come by these days. (To be clear, you're looking for a "Slot-1" cart.)

Well, that's your problem, isn't it?

I don't really want an SD card one

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really want an SD card one
Not sure what you mean by that. The cards that use anything all use microSD if physical size is a concern.

Looking above you mention something about SD cards going walkabout (you are not the first to have siblings). Odd thing to get hung up on and going to have to suggest you figure out a way.

There are a couple of cards that feature onboard NAND but neither were particularly good today, will not be that easy to find and if you do intend to continue using it then if the onboard NAND fails then the cart is probably toast, not to mention you can't just take the SD card out and shove it into a reader.
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/G6DS_Real
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Acekard_RPG

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by that. The cards that use anything all use microSD if physical size is a concern.

Looking above you mention something about SD cards going walkabout (you are not the first to have siblings). Odd thing to get hung up on and going to have to suggest you figure out a way.

There are a couple of cards that feature onboard NAND but neither were particularly good today, will not be that easy to find and if you do intend to continue using it then if the onboard NAND fails then the cart is probably toast, not to mention you can't just take the SD card out and shove it into a reader.
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/G6DS_Real
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Acekard_RPG

I think the cards will just go missing again

There's different SD card sizes and I don't know much about it

There are some "TF" card ones I've seen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: oh right those