RELEASE The Legend of Zelda - Mystery of Solarus DX (solarus engine)

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by carstene1ns, Apr 1, 2018.

1. carstene1ns
    OP

carstene1ns Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    Germany
    Hi, this is the first release of "Mystery of Solarus DX" using the Solarus Engine.

Installation

Copy the folder from the zip archive to your "sdmc:/switch" folder.

Default Controls

Joystick = Movement
    A = Action (Space)
    B = Sword (C)
    X = Left Item (X)
    Y = Right Item (V)
    PLUS = Pause menu / Inventory (Back)
    MINUS = Close (only works from save selection menu)
    Use Pause, then Sword button to Save and Return to save selection menu
    The engine lets you reconfigure the in-game buttons, however the save selection menu

Download

Here on my website, it is too big for uploading as attachment.
    Download (engine only for own quests): Also on my website, not uploading as attachment.
    Source Code at GitHub: engine, game.

Known Bugs
    • Joystick movement messes up the name selection menu. ✔️
    • Alpha build 1&2 crash after short time. ✔️
    • There is no audio support yet. ✔️

Last edited by carstene1ns, May 20, 2018
  2. salamandrusker

salamandrusker GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2018
    Spain
    tonight I try it and I give you feedback

3. carstene1ns
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    Germany
    Thank you!

Someone else from #switchdev tried already and it seems to crash... :/
    However, it works for me in the emulator.

Last edited by carstene1ns, Apr 15, 2018
    damiano2712 likes this.
  4. asper

asper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2010
    United States
    Good port !

Actually it crashes before showing anything.

5. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    Crash with error code 2162-0002 on launch.

Also - I will not test the next version of this, just to set a point. Here is why.

Using the ftp app to upload content to the Switch is something, thats vastly preferable to other methods of transfering data to the switch (especially to "try" somthing), because we want to minimize the amount of times we "snap" the switches stand open and closed, because thats a part of the console that can wear out (and has for some people according to reports).

In this case uploading the 16MB folder took close to 20 minutes, because it consisted of unpackaged files down to every last image texture, because there was no form of packaging/compression used.

You then wait 20 minutes, start the dang thing, get a crash - go throught the 4 minute process to launch HBL again, to see if it can be replicated (it can), then do the 4 minute process again, to get ftp access again, to get the files off of your SD card - which again, takes longer than it should - because no packaging, and no compression.

Testing actually consists of getting people out there to do work on your behalf. If you can't even be sure, that the code you uploaded runs - you are in fact outsourcing part of your production ("wouldnt it be nice, if we could add another supported platform"), not asking for testing.

If your "testers" have a bad experience while trying to get your executable to even run, chances are - they wont be back.

I wouldnt have said anything, if that was a first - but its the third time, this happened in my case. People trying to "hail marry" their development without any form of on system testing - has to stop.

(Queue the here is a newly compiled version "does it work now?" postings..)

Last edited by notimp, Apr 1, 2018
    Joel16 likes this.
  6. salamandrusker

salamandrusker GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2018
    Spain
    crashes on boot

7. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    No one has to help him. He merely asked for testers. If you dont want to help then thats fine. No need to try and deter others from helping out.

ShonenJump, Xanthe, Ricken and 9 others like this.
  8. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Bit of a helpful tip for you friend, you can access the Micro SD without snapping the stand into place really quite easily. You've basically described a non-issue. If you don't wanna help them test their project, it's fine, but the point you're trying to make doesn't really exist lol

ShonenJump and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. asper

asper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2010
    United States
    Also game data usually must be copied only once, then you need to update just the .nro file

Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    Ill look up the posting from the BotW walkthrough guy, whose stand won't shut close anymore, because he had to capture and transfer that many pictures, clicking it in place every time -- just for you.

So your "non issue" becomes a "devs should really care about usability, which they cant - IF THEY DONT HAVE A SWITCH TO TEST STUFF ON".

So instead of "but hopefully we'll get more free stuff", i'll take the "if you are creating more issues, and more dead time, than you could even imagine with your release - dont release it" on this one.

Again - its not necessarily, this one time, that has me looking at this as an issue, but that releasing software that won't even start as "WIP" seemingly has become a "running joke" in the Switch community already. Ok.. almost.

edit: Didnt find the one report I was referring to yet, but found another 30. Google "switch stand loose" for your non imagined issue. And just fyi - I never talked about removing the entire stand. If you've found a method to remove the sdcard through a layer of hard plastic, let me know.

Also - just for reference, the solaris release here contained 1169 separate files. Fun.

Last edited by notimp, Apr 1, 2018
  11. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Just for you friend, I have uploaded my secret technique of getting the Micro SD out of the Switch without clicking the stand into place. First, I show the standard method, which as you have said is known to damage the Switch. Second, I demonstrate the illusive technique seen only by the eyes of my compatriots. I pray you use this information wisely.

BORTZ, ShonenJump, j103 and 13 others like this.
  12. MauriceSY

MauriceSY Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Don't worry OP, nobody else actually thinks this nonsense.

13. ferrums

ferrums Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2017
    Germany
    Germany
  14. kataclysmicmind

kataclysmicmind Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    kataclysmicmind is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Colorado
    If you are not up to the task of being a tester, than quietly bow out. No need to try and persuade other people against it. You sound like you were hoping for a finished product, he asked for testers. This release may not work as intended, it may not work at all, that is all part of the testing process. Take a break from the scene and come back when it's out of its infancy and you will find more polished finished projects that don't require any extra work from you and let the OP and and those willing to contribute to the scene in its infanacy continue on in peace

15. carstene1ns
    OP

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2018
    Germany
    @notimp: I am sorry that this takes so long to transfer via ftp. I am actually adding support for reading archives right now, so this hopefully is not an issue anymore soon.

@ferrums: This engine provides a c++ binding to execute the lua code used by the quests. It has an abstraction layer using SDL2 and associated libraries. (It is much like LuaPlayer or LovePotion.)

At all: Thanks for testing, I really appreciate it!

Csmrcc, ferrums and Subtle Demise like this.
  16. SirThanksALot

SirThanksALot Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2018
    United States
    Big Zelda fan, looking forward to play this. Thanks for putting in your time and effort .

17. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    will definitly play that on switch when possible.
    When this happened on pc I had no pc and forgot it with time, now you bring this back on switch?
    Sureeeee I will definitly wait to be able to play on switch :)

18. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    That doesn't solve the purported issue. Locking/unlocking to and from the fully open position would not cause the kickstand to fail to lock in the closed position. Opening and locking it closed would cause that. Doesn't matter whether or not you fully lock it open.

19. x0x0

x0x0 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2017
    Poland
    Inside the code
    Good luck with this, cannot wait ;)

mangotowel likes this.
  20. fire3element

fire3element GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2015
    United States
    Here's a crazy idea...
    If you do not normally use the kickstand, just remove it altogether. Or you could do so at least while you "test".

BOOM , solved. ~'*-'~ Magic ~'-*'~

(why are we arguing about a kickstand in a emulation porting thread again? Oh right... GBATemp)