Homebrew RELEASE The Legend of Zelda - Mystery of Solarus DX (solarus engine)

carstene1ns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
f4ke.de
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, this is the first release of "Mystery of Solarus DX" using the Solarus Engine.

Installation

Copy the folder from the zip archive to your "sdmc:/switch" folder.

Default Controls

Joystick = Movement
A = Action (Space)
B = Sword (C)
X = Left Item (X)
Y = Right Item (V)
PLUS = Pause menu / Inventory (Back)
MINUS = Close (only works from save selection menu)
Use Pause, then Sword button to Save and Return to save selection menu
The engine lets you reconfigure the in-game buttons, however the save selection menu

Download

Here on my website, it is too big for uploading as attachment.
Download (engine only for own quests): Also on my website, not uploading as attachment.
Source Code at GitHub: engine, game.

Known Bugs
  • Joystick movement messes up the name selection menu. ✔️
  • Alpha build 1&2 crash after short time. ✔️
  • There is no audio support yet. ✔️
  • Not compatible with latest atmosphere (needs recompilation)
  • Not updated to the latest version

Last edited by carstene1ns,

salamandrusker

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
tonight I try it and I give you feedback

Hi,

I need testers for an engine I am porting. Since I do not own a switch (yet), this is not easy using only Ryujinx emulator.
Things I would like to know are:
  • Does it start on real Hardware?
  • How is the general performance, are there any lags or something?
  • Does it save your save game correctly so you are able to load it after restarting the game?
Installation

Copy the "solarus" folder from the zip archive to your "sdmc:/switch" folder.

Default Controls

Joystick = Movement
A = Action (Space)
B = Sword (C)
X = Left Item (X)
Y = Right Item (V)
PLUS = Pause menu / Inventory) (Back)
The engine lets you reconfigure the buttons, if you want to.

Download (alpha version): See attachment.
Source Code: on my GitHub (I cannot post hyperlinks as new member...)

Known Bugs

There is no audio support yet.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Crash with error code 2162-0002 on launch.

Also - I will not test the next version of this, just to set a point. Here is why.

Using the ftp app to upload content to the Switch is something, thats vastly preferable to other methods of transfering data to the switch (especially to "try" somthing), because we want to minimize the amount of times we "snap" the switches stand open and closed, because thats a part of the console that can wear out (and has for some people according to reports).

In this case uploading the 16MB folder took close to 20 minutes, because it consisted of unpackaged files down to every last image texture, because there was no form of packaging/compression used.

You then wait 20 minutes, start the dang thing, get a crash - go throught the 4 minute process to launch HBL again, to see if it can be replicated (it can), then do the 4 minute process again, to get ftp access again, to get the files off of your SD card - which again, takes longer than it should - because no packaging, and no compression.

Testing actually consists of getting people out there to do work on your behalf. If you can't even be sure, that the code you uploaded runs - you are in fact outsourcing part of your production ("wouldnt it be nice, if we could add another supported platform"), not asking for testing.

If your "testers" have a bad experience while trying to get your executable to even run, chances are - they wont be back.

I wouldnt have said anything, if that was a first - but its the third time, this happened in my case. People trying to "hail marry" their development without any form of on system testing - has to stop.

(Queue the here is a newly compiled version "does it work now?" postings..)

Last edited by notimp,

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also - I will not test the next version of this, just to set a point. Here is why.

Using the ftp app to upload content to the Switch is something, thats vastly preferable to other methods of transfering data to the switch (especially to "try" somthing), because we want to minimize the amount of times we "snap" the switches stand open and closed, because thats a part of the console that can wear out (and has for some people according to reports).

In this case uploading the 16MB folder took close to 20 minutes, because it consisted of unpackaged files down to every last image texture, because there was no form of packaging/compression used.

You then wait 20 minutes, start the dang thing, get a crash - go throught the 4 minute process to launch HBL again, to see if it can be replicated (it can), then do the 4 minute process again, to get ftp access again, to get the files off of your SD card - which again, takes longer than it should - because no packaging, and no compression.

Testing actually consists of getting people out there to do work on your behalf. If you can't even be sure, that the code you uploaded runs - you are in fact outsourcing part of your production ("wouldnt it be nice, if we could add another supported platform"), not asking for testing.

If your "testers" have a bad experience while trying to get your executable to even run, chances are - they wont be back.

I wouldnt have said anything, if that was a first - but its the third time, this happened in my case. People trying to "hail marry" their development without any form of on system testing - has to stop.

No one has to help him. He merely asked for testers. If you dont want to help then thats fine. No need to try and deter others from helping out.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
because we want to minimize the amount of times we "snap" the switches stand open and closed, because thats a part of the console that can wear out (and has for some people according to reports).
Bit of a helpful tip for you friend, you can access the Micro SD without snapping the stand into place really quite easily. You've basically described a non-issue. If you don't wanna help them test their project, it's fine, but the point you're trying to make doesn't really exist lol

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Bit of a helpful tip for you friend, you can access the Micro SD without snapping the stand into place really quite easily. You've basically described a non-issue. If you don't wanna help them test their project, it's fine, but the point you're trying to make doesn't really exist lol
Ill look up the posting from the BotW walkthrough guy, whose stand won't shut close anymore, because he had to capture and transfer that many pictures, clicking it in place every time -- just for you.

So your "non issue" becomes a "devs should really care about usability, which they cant - IF THEY DONT HAVE A SWITCH TO TEST STUFF ON".

So instead of "but hopefully we'll get more free stuff", i'll take the "if you are creating more issues, and more dead time, than you could even imagine with your release - dont release it" on this one.

Again - its not necessarily, this one time, that has me looking at this as an issue, but that releasing software that won't even start as "WIP" seemingly has become a "running joke" in the Switch community already. Ok.. almost.

edit: Didnt find the one report I was referring to yet, but found another 30. Google "switch stand loose" for your non imagined issue. And just fyi - I never talked about removing the entire stand. If you've found a method to remove the sdcard through a layer of hard plastic, let me know.

Also - just for reference, the solaris release here contained 1169 separate files. Fun.

Last edited by notimp,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ill look up the posting from the BotW walkthrough guy, whose stand won't shut close anymore, because he had to capture and transfer that many pictures, clicking it in place every time -- just for you.

So your "non issue" becomes a "devs should really care about usability, which they cant - IF THEY DONT HAVE A SWITCH TO TEST STUFF ON".

So instead of "but hopefully we'll get more free stuff", i'll take the "if you are creating more issues, and more dead time, than you could even imagine with your release - dont release it" on this one.

Again - its not necessarily, this one time, that has me looking at this as an issue, but that releasing software that won't even start as "WIP" seemingly has become a "running joke" in the Switch community already. Ok.. almost.

edit: Didnt find the one report I was referring to yet, but found another 30. Google "switch stand loose" for your non imagined issue. And just fyi - I never talked about removing the entire stand. If you've found a method to remove the sdcard through a layer of hard plastic, let me know.

Also - just for reference, the solaris release here contained 1169 separate files. Fun.
Just for you friend, I have uploaded my secret technique of getting the Micro SD out of the Switch without clicking the stand into place. First, I show the standard method, which as you have said is known to damage the Switch. Second, I demonstrate the illusive technique seen only by the eyes of my compatriots. I pray you use this information wisely.

kataclysmicmind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you are not up to the task of being a tester, than quietly bow out. No need to try and persuade other people against it. You sound like you were hoping for a finished product, he asked for testers. This release may not work as intended, it may not work at all, that is all part of the testing process. Take a break from the scene and come back when it's out of its infancy and you will find more polished finished projects that don't require any extra work from you and let the OP and and those willing to contribute to the scene in its infanacy continue on in peace

carstene1ns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
f4ke.de
XP
Country
Germany
@notimp: I am sorry that this takes so long to transfer via ftp. I am actually adding support for reading archives right now, so this hopefully is not an issue anymore soon.

@ferrums: This engine provides a c++ binding to execute the lua code used by the quests. It has an abstraction layer using SDL2 and associated libraries. (It is much like LuaPlayer or LovePotion.)

At all: Thanks for testing, I really appreciate it!

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for you friend, I have uploaded my secret technique of getting the Micro SD out of the Switch without clicking the stand into place. First, I show the standard method, which as you have said is known to damage the Switch. Second, I demonstrate the illusive technique seen only by the eyes of my compatriots. I pray you use this information wisely.

That doesn't solve the purported issue. Locking/unlocking to and from the fully open position would not cause the kickstand to fail to lock in the closed position. Opening and locking it closed would cause that. Doesn't matter whether or not you fully lock it open.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.