You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've had DS for over a year...but there was one thing really annoying. The touch screen didn't seem to be very responsive. It was not like a touch screen, I really had to press down so it was more like a press screen. For instance when I was playing Club House Games and I played darts, the dart occasionally just 'fell out of my hand'. A friend's DS didn't have that problem, the touch screen wasn't 'bumpy' at all, nice and flat and very responsive.

I got so annoyed by it that I decided to sell it and buy a new one. So I went to the store (Dixons) and wanted to make sure I got a perfect DSLite so I asked if he could switch it on and let me tap the screen. But it was almost the same as mine! I couldn't believe it. I really had to press down into the "cushion" to get a response. So the fellow got me another one to try. Well, this one was a lot better, at least it was sort of a touch screen, but I didn't understand, because my friend's DS was just a true and perfect touch screen without that cushion effect. So I said that I really wanted to think this over.

Then I went to another store (Dynabyte) and....well, the same story. We just tried one this time. But it was terrible, very bumpy screen (you know like pressing into a fricking pillow), so I said I was sorry but didn't want to buy basically the same DSLite that I already had.

So I went to a toys store. I got to try it out and YES, it was a perfect touch screen. So I went home, very happy with my new DSlite. At home, tried it for a while, suddenly I was shocked because I discovered the top screen had some dark cloud at the bottom. My wife, my friend, everybody could clearly see it, and well my goal was getting a perfect DS Lite and so I just went back to the store the next day. The girl from the shop agreed with me that there was a real cloud on the top screen, so again I got a new one. Again perfect touch screen. But outside I thought "Well, I'll give it a closer look now". What did I see??? A dead pixel!!! I couldn't believe it!! I immediately went back. Got a new one; perfect touch screen and no dead pixels; again outside I gave it another shot....and...you know what? The touch screen was "movable", when I pressed it a bit (think of games where you have to use the thumbs) it just went "click clack click". I thought I was losing my mind!!! I went inside the store again. There I got to try 3 more (white) DS Lites.

Well the last one was a real good one! And I was happy. Did I ask too much? I think not. I just wanted a DS with a good "touch" screen and clear screens. That's all. I just couldn't find it.

What's wrong with Nintendo that they put out so many half baked products? I mean only 1 of the 7 DSLites I tried was 'okay'. I say okay because even my new DS Lite has that yellowish colour at the top of the bottom screen, but I actually can't be bothered anymore. I do have to say I'm really disappointed in Nintendo because of this.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a DSlite and after 2 years with a DSphat, the difference was amazing. So amazing that after literally playing it for 10 minutes and I had to go back to the DSphat to get the wifi settings, it was all, "urgh, was I playing this?"

Anyways, the screen I got doesn't feel responsive in some places which didn't help in EBA/Ouendan but I was still pleased with it anyways. But to be honest, your search for the perfect DSlite was bordering on OCD

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't noticed any problems with mine. Though maybe it's a problem with a Dutch batch. Mind you I got mine in Japan (and it's actually an American DS...since they're always sold out here, so some stores sell imports).

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think so. I think the screens AND the touch screen are the main reason why people buy a DS(Lite) so why is it strange that when you know there are perfect functioning DSes you can't demand one?
u sound like my friend,
1st oh touch screen is bad
2nd oh no dpad is not responsive in the corner
3rd oh no R&L are kind of lose!
4th oh no the buttons need more pressure!!
lol, im happy enough mine works and i can get around how they made it.
however if i buy a second one i (while keeping my ccurrent one) i will make sure i take care of it from the start, screen protector and case and all

berlinka

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well actually I don't even bother going over all the buttons, d-pads and shoulder buttons. The touch screen and just the screens overall is what I find important.

Funny thing is my brother thought I was whining, but then I said, "well if you buy a brand new car, and there's a little scratch on the hood, you also go back don't you?"....... He agreed with me....

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did the same thing - except I seemed to get many units with bad pixels. My current DSL has no stuck pixels, but the bottom screen is yellow, and I think it suffers from a slightly hard-to-press R button and a clicky touch screen (like you can press it down, and I can see the screen bend when somebody pushes it)

DrTek

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
every German DSL has the yellow touchscreen but immortal hinges. I am fine with mine. Staff in our stores won't even let you try them before you buy.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Staff in our stores won't even let you try them before you buy.

Same at my local EB. Something about paying for it when you open it (they seal it with SECURITY tape
tongue.gif
)

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what causes the yellow tint because my phat ds only got it last year and i have had it since the release day, why did the yellow tint appear all of a sudden
unsure.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, this reminds me, I was in Hong Kong buying the DSlite and the staff was fine opening up a brand new white DSlite box and letting me grab my greasy mitts on it.... and then I said the word that would probably bust a vein in ANY seller.

"Can I have the black version instead"

Hey. I'm happy with the Dslite even though it meant that minute of pure embarrassment.

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I have an American DS lite from around Launch and it has got the best of everything...
4 bad pixels (one dead, 2 constantly lit and one that's slightly darker), a hinge crack, faulty D-PAD, loose stylus and weird shoulder buttons.
I later bought an Aussie DS lite which only suffers from one bad pixel in an undisturbing location, the rest seems to be more or less fine.
Both are white BTW.

berlinka

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, major RESPECT to anyone who can live with with a dead pixeled DS. I really couldn't stand it and probably I would never play with my DS because of this. I think a cracked hinge may be bearable and just maybe I could even live with f&*^ed up shouderbuttons...but dead pixels!!?? 3/4 of the DS surface is SCREEN for cryin out loud!

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I had to exchange mine 2 times before getting a perfect one. But mine isn't perfect in a sense, it has a loose R button and like you said, 'cushion' touch screen. Well, at least it's quite sensitive.

berlinka

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think with handhelds you'd best buy it at a shop where you at least can try it out. I mean when I get my Wii, I don't care how it looks or if its not totally slick, or if it has a scratch, cause I just care about my telly and the remote I hold.

With handhelds is another thing...you always have it like 7 inches from your face so you see everything painfully clear
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Senile discussion felt like we were having this type of conversation already