The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So, did you see it? The Happening?

There's like a million reviews on IMDB, very conflicting, I might add, ranging from "the worst movie I've ever seen" to "a future classic". What do you think?

(You will be graded based on your answers.
ph34r.gif
)

Just kidding.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend spoiled it for me last night, and i'm GLAD i didn't see it. Lady in the Water was amazing, i didn't like any of his others (i enjoyed most of Unbreakable though, just not a GOOD movie in my mind. LitW is a GREAT flick).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There is no "twist" in this movie. Anyone "spoiling" the movie for you by telling you what the "twist" is, is either lying or missing the point.

Also, any "explanation" of the plot involving the words "revenge", "conspiracy", "global warming" or "pollution" is wrong.
rolleyes.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
There is no "twist" in this movie. Anyone "spoiling" the movie for you by telling you what the "twist" is, is either lying or missing the point.

Also, any "explanation" of the plot involving the words "revenge", "conspiracy", "global warming" or "pollution" is wrong.
rolleyes.gif

Ok i can agree with that but---
Its right on the same lines as the huge twist of water killing the aliens in Signs. I'd have been pissed off had i sat through the movie only to find out the big reveal is... what it is. (not saying so in case some tard decides to click this, i'm not giving it away as much as i could lol.)

Oh, ^-- is a tard-proof spoiler... but could give SOMETHING away.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
WildWon said:
Its right on the same lines as the huge twist of water killing the aliens in Signs. I'd have been pissed off had i sat through the movie only to find out the big reveal is... what it is. (not saying so in case some tard decides to click this, i'm not giving it away as much as i could lol.)
Not exactly, the "twist" in Signs, saying water kills aliens, is a twist along the lines of germs killing aliens in War Of The Worlds, or a computer virus defeating aliens in Independence Day. It's a sudden revelation, arguably twisty. In The Happening, everything is revealed slowly and gradually, and enough time and foreshadowing was given to come to the conclusions yourself (if you're quick or at least averagely fast on the uptake), before the characters put them bluntly into (disastrously written and badly worded) "explanations".

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was shit. With this director's films I personally think Sixth Sense is the only film that is as great as what others think, the rest are just ok and fine to watch but this film is so damn boring, not much happened at all apart from some people dying.

Shyamalan is a very good director but not a writer.

So glad I get free tickets.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
WildWon said:
Not exactly, the "twist" in Signs, saying water kills aliens, is a twist along the lines of germs killing aliens in War Of The Worlds, or a computer virus defeating aliens in Independence Day. It's a sudden revelation, arguably twisty. In The Happening, everything is revealed slowly and gradually, and enough time and foreshadowing was given to come to the conclusions yourself (if you're quick or at least averagely fast on the uptake), before the characters put them bluntly into (disastrously written and badly worded) "explanations".

Well, while i can agree with all that, they're still labeled "twists," because thats what people look for in his movies.... so even though they aren't, they're still "reveals" in some way shape or form. Now, especially after reading that, i'm even MORE glad (gladder?) i didn't pay money, OR waste the time to go see this flick. You description of how the info is mentioned in the film would have pissed me off more so lol.

QUOTE(Hadrian @ Jun 17 2008, 12:58 PM)
I thought it was shit. With this director's films I personally think Sixth Sense is the only film that is as great as what others think, the rest are just ok and fine to watch but this film is so damn boring, not much happened at all apart from some people dying.

Shyamalan is a very good director but not a writer.

So glad I get free tickets.

I LOVE Lady In The Water. Thats the only one of his i can stomach much anymore. I thought that was fantastically done. Good to see i'm not wasting my time on this one lol.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
WildWon said:
You description of how the info is mentioned in the film would have pissed me off more so lol.
Maybe I should rephrase it. It's given just like in any other movie. Imagine a detective movie, where detectives come across clues and pieces of information gradually.
Only in this movie, this is accompanied by people killing themselves with disconcerting neatness and persistence. Which is really creepy, if you let it be. Or, you could assume an ironic distance while watching, act all macho and say "meh, not enough gore, made me lol".

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never seen Lady inThe Water, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Not going to see this one as I have heard that after about 30 minutes it gets to be pretty silly.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I'm going to watch it tomorrow!! (Friday, if you're a T-mobile user you get 50 % off price..)
I didn't read what tempers wrote up here, I don't want to spoil it for me..
I hope it's going to be fun, I like unusual/weird movies..

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I saw this last night and I wasn't really impressed. Like all Shyamalan movies his belief in how clever his movie is far outweighs exactly how clever it is.

The movie starts out strong but spirals into a long plodding movie after about 40 minutes. The problem I find with MNS movies is he tips his hand faaaar too early in his movies and you've figured everything out before it's halfway through. There's no denying he is a fantastic directory and he definitely knows how to frame his shots. His ideas are great as well, if he collobarated with a good writer I reckon he could make some fantastic movies.

It's better than The Village but not as good as Sixth Sense, which at least kept it's atmosphere all the way through.

@WildWon : I've never seen Lady In The Water, is it worth checking out?

square

The Professor
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haven't seen it yet.

The Sixth Sense was his best and most orginal
Unbreakable was alright
I hated Signs (too religious)
The Village was too predicatable
Lady in the Water, I didn't care for much either

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

If water kills those aliens, wouldn't water vapour in the atmosphere very harmful to them already?
I don't mean harmful as in lethal, but like harmful harmful.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I just saw the movie, and I must say I find it pretty fun..
It has a nice atmosphere, and I was actually expecting totally different kind of movie, so the story was pleasant surprise for me..
It has few really unexpected/shocking scenes, and I liked the ending (it was a bit predictable, but OK for me)..

..I don't know, I enjoyed it trough all 90 minutes..

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I saw this last night and I wasn't really impressed. Like all Shyamalan movies his belief in how clever his movie is far outweighs exactly how clever it is.

The movie starts out strong but spirals into a long plodding movie after about 40 minutes. The problem I find with MNS movies is he tips his hand faaaar too early in his movies and you've figured everything out before it's halfway through. There's no denying he is a fantastic directory and he definitely knows how to frame his shots. His ideas are great as well, if he collobarated with a good writer I reckon he could make some fantastic movies.

It's better than The Village but not as good as Sixth Sense, which at least kept it's atmosphere all the way through.

@WildWon : I've never seen Lady In The Water, is it worth checking out?

I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. But, it doesn't have a killer twist. Just as the previews showed for it, its a modern day fairy tale. Its a fun movie (yes, it has slow points... but i *LOVE* Paul Giomatti [sp] and i think a lot of them deal with him... which is why i didn't notice).

I'd say, check it out
smile.gif

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm suprised after reading all the posts above me AND actually wanting to spoil the movie for myself, because I'm not going to bother watching it. Frankly I still don't know what happend in the movie, or how it ended. : S

PS: I'm going to watch The Sixth Sense and see how that is.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
what is it about anyway? i found signs laughable (story was stupid and too many plot holes) , the lady in the water cheesy, but the sixth sense i've seen so many times as it's such a great film, i haven't had time to watch unbreakable yet though.

XeonZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can say I laughed more in the movie than I thought I was going to but otherwise I didn't like it that much. I was pretty disappointed by Marky Mark's performance, although the cough medicine scene was funny as hell.

Mmmm, hot dogs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?