Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Tetsuo Shima I am currently working with the PC Engine plugin. This is linked to pce_fast_libretro.ini (=mednafen_pce_fast_libretro_wii.dol). The games run too slowly. I have installed a RetroArch installation (nightly build) in parallel and with this and the same core the game runs with correct speed. I have already set the video scaling to integer in the WiiFlow RetroArch. This did not have the desired effect. How old is the RetroArch in your plugin package?

Can I refer to a DOL file in the configuration of a plugin that is outside the wiiflow folder? Then I would use the native installation of the RetroArch cores and always have the latest version (nighlty build).

Last edited by ukigh4ie,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's really strange, I've never had any performance issues with all my pce/pceCD games with retroarch. It's even running better than hexaeco which has some rare audio stutterings with some Cd games. I've tested a great number of games, and no one ever reported issues either. Are you experiencing issues with every game? Maybe mixing it with a newer RA version screwed things for you.
The version I used in this pack for pcefast is RA 1.8.8 [2020/05/25-nightly]

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can I refer to a DOL file in the configuration of a plugin that is outside the wiiflow folder?
yes you can.

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still have a small problem that I cannot solve on my own.

The plugin scummvm should point to the native installation under sd:/apps/scummvm instead of the one in the plugin pack. For this I have made the following changes to scummvm_plugin.ini:

Code:
dolfile=sd:/apps/scummvm/boot.elf
romdir=apps/scummvm/scummvm.ini
rompartition=-1

A message appears that there are no games in "sd:/apps/scummvm/scummvm.ini". The file exists. If I copy it into the plugin directory and change the romdir setting back, the games are found. What am I doing wrong?

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The plugin scummvm should point to the native installation under sd:/apps/scummvm instead of the one in the plugin pack. For this I have made the following changes to scummvm_plugin.ini:

Code:
rompartition=-1

A message appears that there are no games in "sd:/apps/scummvm/scummvm.ini". The file exists. If I copy it into the plugin directory and change the romdir setting back, the games are found. What am I doing wrong?
The dolfile is what you want to point to the native installation application. The romdir is just the location of the games. I'm not familiar with how scummvm works, but I assume the games arent .ini files. The argument for romdir should always be a directory, not an ini file.

Also, are you sure you should be using an elf instead of a dol?

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The dolfile is what you want to point to the native installation application. The romdir is just the location of the games. I'm not familiar with how scummvm works, but I assume the games arent .ini files. The argument for romdir should always be a directory, not an ini file.

Also, are you sure you should be using an elf instead of a dol?

Thanks for your support. The scummvm, either from the plugin package or native, comes as elf file.
The romdir points to scummvm's ini file, which lists the games. It's explained in Installation.txt, which is part of the plugin package.

The actual question is, why it works if the file resides in the plugin and not if it doesn't.

Reactions: SaulFabre

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Code:
rompartition=-1

i believe your problem is - the scummvm.ini included in the plugin pack expects the games to be on USB. did you move your games to SD? if so you will need to edit scummvm.ini OR rename scummvm.ini and then run scummvm.ini via HBC to make it create a new scummvm.ini listing the games on SD instead of USB, then when you run scummvm from wiiflow it will now find your games.

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i believe your problem is - the scummvm.ini included in the plugin pack expects the games to be on USB. did you move your games to SD? if so you will need to edit scummvm.ini OR rename scummvm.ini and then run scummvm.ini via HBC to make it create a new scummvm.ini listing the games on SD instead of USB, then when you run scummvm from wiiflow it will now find your games.

"Use the source, Luke!" :D
I checked the source code of wiiflow and it contains a special handling for scummvm.ini. If you leave the romdir value unchanged, it will even look for the file in sd:/apps/scummvm. That's what I wanted. Now, everything is fine! :yayps3:

Last edited by ukigh4ie,

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the very same scummvm.ini and it works, when placed directly in the plugin directory and does not, if placed anywhere else on the same device (=SD). So my guess is, that it's related to the romdir handling.
you've discovered a small error on my part. I just found the problem. it has to do with changing rompartition= . I will have to fix this and release a patched version of wiiflow.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hey guys, i have a issue with an emulator taken from Wiiflow Plugins Pack.

I'm using the latest version of WiiMednafen (v0.3-SNAPSHOT) made by @raz0red taken from that plugins pack and the emulator works fine, even i tested an autoboot ROM feature implemented in that version with arguments, which it works when loaded in the Homebrew Channel and with a DOL forwarder, but when I try to do the same by starting the forwarder channel on the Wii Menu where I injected the DOL forwarder to WiiMednafen with arguments (forwarder WAD which i injected the DOL forwarder) it throws me a code dump error:

upload_2021-9-4_18-13-9.png

That error throws when launching in the WAD forwarder, but when I run directly with the DOL forwarder without any WAD or with the Homebrew Channel it loads without trouble.

Is it just me (i'm running in Dolphin emu) or this error ocurrs in WiiMednafen with forwarder WADs on real Wii hardware?

The DOL forwarder i've made with ModMii by @XFlak.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Are there Ahbprot or noiosreload tags in the meta.xml? If so, you'll need to make sure the base wad has support for this as well. If u inject the dol into modmii's usbloader forwarder for example, do you get the same result?

Last edited by XFlak,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Are there Ahbprot or noiosreload tags in the meta.xml? If so, you'll need to make sure the base wad has this enabled as well
i'm using USB Loader GX forwarder WAD, which i know it's AHBPROT-enabled.

I didn't test these options on arguments, i'm going to try it on and i will say

EDIT: @XFlak tried these options, they are junk... they doesn't work even when combined on WiiMednafen, it still throws me code dump error. Maybe i'm using a outdated version of the forwarder (v12) when I saw there's a newer update of the Forwarder with meta.xml support (v14) from @FIX94?

Can you implement this new version of the forwarder with meta.xml support v14 on your ModMii in a next version, but without removing the v12 one?

@XFlak bump because of last message edited, read it again

Are there Ahbprot or noiosreload tags in the meta.xml? If so, you'll need to make sure the base wad has support for this as well. If u inject the dol into modmii's usbloader forwarder for example, do you get the same result?

EDIT 2: No, i didn't. I will download it from ModMii now i'm here, i will inject the DOL forwarder here and i will tell you

EDIT 3: @XFlak

I think i've seen what's going on with WiiMednafen and WAD forwarders which use DOL forwarders injected on them.

Seeing a bit about latest WiiMednafen forwarder i've seen (v14) i've seen that the functional forwarder uses @waninkoko's NAND Loader for load it properly.

I saw this when i saw this screen when booting the WiiMednafen forwarder:

upload_2021-9-4_18-57-4.png

And when it finish loading:

upload_2021-9-4_18-49-36.png

(this screen is because i'm autobooting a Virtual Boy (VB) game on WiiMednafen XD)

I think it's because WiiMednafen doesn't allow other NAND loaders which were not @waninkoko's one. I was using Comex's NAND Loader so i know why was not working. I will use Waninkoko's NAND Loader for WiiMednafen then.

USB Loader GX forwarder taken from ModMii is still using Comex's NAND Loader.

But, a question: is there a way to convert Wii channel forwarders which use Waninkoko's NAND Loader to get working on the vWii mode on Wii U? or this NAND Loader also works on vWii too?

Anyways thanks @XFlak for helping me with that, truely I love WiiMednafen emulator ;)

PD: is there a way for convert the custom forwarders that are using Waninkoko's NAND Loader for make them run on the vWii mode of Wii U?

Best regards

Last edited by SaulFabre,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
i'm using USB Loader GX forwarder WAD, which i know it's AHBPROT-enabled.

I didn't test these options on arguments, i'm going to try it on and i will say

EDIT: @XFlak tried these options, they are junk... they doesn't work even when combined on WiiMednafen, it still throws me code dump error. Maybe i'm using a outdated version of the forwarder (v12) when I saw there's a newer update of the Forwarder with meta.xml support (v14) from @FIX94?

Can you implement this new version of the forwarder with meta.xml support v14 on your ModMii in a next version, but without removing the v12 one?

@XFlak bump because of last message edited, read it again

EDIT 2: No, i didn't. I will download it from ModMii now i'm here, i will inject the DOL forwarder here and i will tell you

EDIT 3: @XFlak

I think i've seen what's going on with WiiMednafen and WAD forwarders which use DOL forwarders injected on them.

Seeing a bit about latest WiiMednafen forwarder i've seen (v14) i've seen that the functional forwarder uses @waninkoko's NAND Loader for load it properly.

I saw this when i saw this screen when booting the WiiMednafen forwarder:

View attachment 274892

And when it finish loading:

View attachment 274891

I think it's because WiiMednafen doesn't allow other NAND loaders which were not @waninkoko's one. I was using Comex's NAND Loader so i know why was not working. I will use Waninkoko's NAND Loader for WiiMednafen then.

USB Loader GX forwarder taken from ModMii is still using Comex's NAND Loader.

But, a question: is there a way to convert Wii channel forwarders which use Waninkoko's NAND Loader to get working on the vWii mode on Wii U? or this NAND Loader also works on vWii too?

Anyways thanks @XFlak for helping me with that, truely I love WiiMednafen emulator ;)

PD:
@XFlak message edited, please read it again and this question

EDIT: I have this question

PD: is there a way for convert the custom forwarders that are using Waninkoko's NAND Loader for make them run on the vWii mode of Wii U?

In other words, is there a way to convert Wii channel forwarders which use Waninkoko's NAND Loader to get working on the vWii mode on Wii U? or this NAND Loader also works on vWii too?

Best regards

Reactions: RunningSnakes

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Last edited by XFlak,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Read here
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pre-compiled-tested-v14-forwarder-dols-for-loaders-apps-emus.339944/

You could try hex editing the path of a working v14 waninkoko dol

Edit: if u try it, let us know if it works or not plz and thank you

@XFlak so i took the boot.dol of this folder:

1.PNG

i tried editing the path in the hex on WiiMednafen forwarder dol v14 as shown with apps/sfg_vb_warioland/boot.dol and apps/sfg_vb_warioland/boot.elf respectively, as shown:

3.PNG

4.PNG

i inserted the edited dol with CustomizeMii with Waninkoko NAND Loader but still crashes at black screen... Maybe i'm doing wrong the hex editing?

2.PNG

Because i tried the dol without any editing on a injected forwarder WAD with WiiMednafen forwarder DOL v14 and it works without any trouble.

That doesn't work when hex editing these v14 compiled forwarders so i prefer making them using ModMii instead.

And i still have another question: the Waninkoko NAND Loader can also be used for create vWii channels (for make the forwarder channels run in a Wii U in vWii mode)? I saw the Waninkoko's NAND Loader is universal with Wii/vWii but i'm not sure if it is safe to use forwarder WADs with Waninkoko NAND Loader on a vWii of Wii U.

EDIT: In CustomizeMii, when I change the NAND Loader to use from Comex to Waninkoko, the AHBPROT functionality of the WAD still mantains or is it erased? If yes, then where i can find a forwarder which uses both Waninkoko's NAND Loader and AHBPROT functionality enabled?

Best regards

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased Demons Of Asteborg. A Homebrew Sega Genesis game released on Steam. The folder content is very bare bone with a 15mb rom.bin file included. Using RetroArch on my PC, BlastEm which is supposed to be the best/most accurate Genesis emulator does boot the rom image garbled then kicks you out. However, the tried and true Genesis Plus GX PC core plays 100% in limited test. Long story short, used Wii Genesis Plus GX with same rom.bin and "error file too large". So i then try Wii RA-PicoDrive core and YES, working at full speed with no garbled graphics. The PC RA PICO core also runs the rom without any issues. Hmmm, is this a Genesis game or hybrid?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I recently purchased Demons Of Asteborg. A Homebrew Sega Genesis game released on Steam. The folder content is very bare bone with a 15mb rom.bin file included. Using RetroArch on my PC, BlastEm which is supposed to be the best/most accurate Genesis emulator does boot the rom image garbled then kicks you out. However, the tried and true Genesis Plus GX PC core plays 100% in limited test. Long story short, used Wii Genesis Plus GX with same rom.bin and "error file too large". So i then try Wii RA-PicoDrive core and YES, working at full speed with no garbled graphics. The PC RA PICO core also runs the rom without any issues. Hmmm, is this a Genesis game or hybrid?
@RunningSnakes Try the latest version of Genesis Plus GX, it had a update for run that game of Demons of Asterborg (15 MB), it's here:
https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/tree/master/builds

Grab the genplus_wii.dol file here.

Greetings ;)
---------------------------------------------
@RunningSnakes I don't know for sure, but I know that game can run on a real MD hardware, so maybe it could be that there's a rom size limitation in some versions of the emulators.
@Tetsuo Shima But few weeks ago eke-eke updated Genesis Plus GX for increase file size limitation, go check the link in the up side of this message.

Best regards ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------
@XFlak so i took the boot.dol of this folder:

View attachment 274947

i tried editing the path in the hex on WiiMednafen forwarder dol v14 as shown with apps/sfg_vb_warioland/boot.dol and apps/sfg_vb_warioland/boot.elf respectively, as shown:

View attachment 274949
View attachment 274950

i inserted the edited dol with CustomizeMii with Waninkoko NAND Loader but still crashes at black screen... Maybe i'm doing wrong the hex editing?

View attachment 274948

Because i tried the dol without any editing on a injected forwarder WAD with WiiMednafen forwarder DOL v14 and it works without any trouble.

That doesn't work when hex editing these v14 compiled forwarders so i prefer making them using ModMii instead.

And i still have another question: the Waninkoko NAND Loader can also be used for create vWii channels (for make the forwarder channels run in a Wii U in vWii mode)? I saw the Waninkoko's NAND Loader is universal with Wii/vWii but i'm not sure if it is safe to use forwarder WADs with Waninkoko NAND Loader on a vWii of Wii U.

EDIT: In CustomizeMii, when I change the NAND Loader to use from Comex to Waninkoko, the AHBPROT functionality of the WAD still mantains or is it erased? If yes, then where i can find a forwarder which uses both Waninkoko's NAND Loader and AHBPROT functionality enabled?

Best regards
@XFlak are you there? I still need help. Specially please consider answering me these questions about Waninkoko NAND Loader:

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi @Tetsuo Shima,
what is the correct way to add unrecognised games of a plugin? They are in the XML but not in the INI file in plugins_data. I am missing European versions in particular.

is the format of the ini-file described somewhere?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters