Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
The Pi said:
*Enters nerd mode*

For those who don't know matter-antimatter collisions result in all their mass being turned into energy.

Going by my calculations, one kilo of antimatter colliding with one kilo of matter will produce about 1 x 10^44 Joules (that's a fuck load of energy being produced, for example it could power a 100 watt bulb for about 3 x 10^34 years)

However, no method of collection is 100% efficient I doubt you will get even get 30% of that energy.

Secondly, I highly doubt there's anything close to a kilo there, only a fraction of a gram.
wtf.gif

now thats something !

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, it was and still is visible. Sorry.

@Alanjohn,

Ahh... anti-proton. That's why there are cloud that's also circling the Earth like an invisible shield. That's why we cannot see it.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
RockmanForte said:
I mean, it was and still is visible. Sorry.

@Alanjohn,

Ahh... anti-proton. That's why there are cloud that's also circling the Earth like an invisible shield. That's why we cannot see it.
if you read the OP, you would have known that earlier.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
*Enters nerd mode*

For those who don't know matter-antimatter collisions result in all their mass being turned into energy.

Going by my calculations, one kilo of antimatter colliding with one kilo of matter will produce about 1 x 10^44 Joules (that's a fuck load of energy being produced, for example it could power a 100 watt bulb for about 3 x 10^34 years)

However, no method of collection is 100% efficient I doubt you will get even get 30% of that energy.

Secondly, I highly doubt there's anything close to a kilo there, only a fraction of a gram.
I'm not sure if you are correct there. I remember reading that if matter and anti-matter touched, they would cancel each other out, producing nothing. I think you saw one too many episodes of Star Trek. We don't have dilithium crystals yet.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, does this mean that any thing that passes through the ring, such as satellites and such, encounters some sort of particle degradation? Wouldn't the resulting reaction from the collision be noticeable?

It seems like there's a significant amount of it, because its can be used as fuel.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dimensional said:
I'm not sure if you are correct there. I remember reading that if matter and anti-matter touched, they would cancel each other out, producing nothing. I think you saw one too many episodes of Star Trek. We don't have dilithium crystals yet.

Wikipedia article on Antimatter + possible usage for an alternative source of fuel. An interesting read if anyone's interested. When I visited CERN a few years ago, one of the leading antimatter scientists mentioned that it could be used as fuel, but currently it's just not an option to make an amount of antimatter for real use. If someone has read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, the amount of antimatter mentioned in the book is actually something that takes quite a while to make, but does exist naturally in quite large amounts
smile.gif

-Qtis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ShadowSoldier said:
And this means what exactly? They say in years in the future, but I highly, HIGHLY doubt anything will become of it.

Right now, it's just an invisible ring that we can't do anything with.

*A good few decades prior to your fabled words*

"Electricity? BAH! What a useless invention - we can't even see it! Who could possibly make use of it? Edison and Tesla are mad men, now hand me my oil lamp!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: well actually a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in...