The Earth Has A Ring

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Aug 7, 2011.

Aug 7, 2011

The Earth Has A Ring by SamAsh07 at 9:28 PM (4,283 Views / 0 Likes) 50 replies

1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    [​IMG]

Of anti-protons! While it's not as visually cool as what Saturn has going for it, this is still an important development, even if we can't technically "see" the ring with our primitive Earthling eyes.

According to New Scientist, this anti-proton ring joins the previously discovered positron cloud that's also circling the Earth like an invisible shield. Ironically, the anti-protons are 2,000 times more massive than their positron counterparts, but were discovered second. Both are trapped in a donut-like ring called the Van Allen radiation belt that's held in place by the planet's magnetic field.

In the distant future, a spacecraft designed to use anti-protons (or other types of antimatter) as a fuel source could tap into this ring to top off its tanks and head out into the void, said Alessandro Bruno, a member of the University of Rome Tor Vergata team that confirmed the anti-proton area's existence.[/p]

[​IMG] My Source

[​IMG] Original Source (For People With More Science-related Knowledge)

Well that's something now, isn't it? [​IMG]

Btw there has been a drought in the USN, barely any new topics [​IMG] So I thought let's travel the science path, see if it works.

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    That's interesting.
    I like space-related schtuffz.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Aw I was getting excited, i've always wanted a visible ring around earth since seeing how beautiful they are on saturn. [​IMG]
    Maybe we can shoot some earth shit of appropriate mass and make one :trollface.jpg:

4. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    our planet getting sexy maybe we will get alien attention now to invade and colonize it.. smart move! lol

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    one ring to...circle the earth [​IMG]

with all the space junk up there i'm surprised it hasn't formed one [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Awesome. For some reason I wandered in here expecting another space junk but this is great.

They say fuel.... I have to wonder what sort of energy density there is although I guess at the temperatures we are talking about it does not matter so much.

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    And this means what exactly? They say in years in the future, but I highly, HIGHLY doubt anything will become of it.

Right now, it's just an invisible ring that we can't do anything with.

8. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Wow thats pretty awesome [​IMG]

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    As if every scientific discovery has to immediately lead to some kind of weapon or something? [​IMG]

The fact that our own planet has an invisible ring of antimatter around it held in place by magnetism shows that we still don't know crap. How did we find this? Can we use the same method on other things we thought we knew and discover things that we didn't know were there?

You don't have a very scientific mind, man. Where's your sense of discovery? Learning things to accumulate knowledge? I find the fact that you seem to come in angry at every one of the science topics just because it doesn't mean a laser sword or something to be Pretty Fucking Annoying™.

10. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    RYDIAN IS BACK OMGWTF.

Bahaha what have i missed. Yeah I think if modern science & Technology can see this then we aren't far of hover cars and stuff...

11. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Um... first of all, chill.

Secondly, what science threads do I come in angry? I mean, if you took my post as angry, that's kind of sad. I just said that I highly doubt anything will happen with this. I'm also not the biggest fan of you saying that I expect it to do something right away and to mean weapons, so back off a bit.

12. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    *Enters nerd mode*

For those who don't know matter-antimatter collisions result in all their mass being turned into energy.

Going by my calculations, one kilo of antimatter colliding with one kilo of matter will produce about 1 x 10^44 Joules (that's a fuck load of energy being produced, for example it could power a 100 watt bulb for about 3 x 10^34 years)

However, no method of collection is 100% efficient I doubt you will get even get 30% of that energy.

Secondly, I highly doubt there's anything close to a kilo there, only a fraction of a gram.

13. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is actually really cool, but doesn't mean much to me as an American, considering we shut down a lot of our NASA stuff.

14. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Not visible [​IMG]

Cool stuff though [​IMG]!

15. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I laughed when people alarmed themselves about us producing a black hole with a particle accelerator because I already knew that where the sun's particles hit our atmosphere, the equivalent of trillions of particle accelerators are running nonstop. High-speed collisions of subatomic particles ejected by the sun with our atmosphere produce antimatter. What I didn't know was that these particles could spin around earth in relative safety. Antimatter is extremely reactive and contact with any sort of conventional matter will annihilate it. Given the fact that even a relatively quiet place like inner space is still pretty chaotic at particle level, it was beyond my imagination that antimatter could really survive. I am truly surprised. Also, that ring looks more like a shell. That electromagnetic enclosement is pretty much a natural penning trap, which is what we on earth use to encapsulate and store antimatter. Again, it's still a pretty dirty environment, with other particle radiation passing by. I'm surprised it survives.

16. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it bad that I was actually sort of hoping those guys /did/ make a black hole?

17. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Do you know what a black hole actually is and what it does?

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    My bad, I was thinking of somebody else that always does it.

But still, I think you should think it over before you claim something's got no use.

19. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Well, that's pretty cool. The problem is how those guys at NASA could utilize the anti-protons.

Hint: It's actually not a hole, in the traditional sense [​IMG]

20. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I didn't say it has no use. I'm sure there's a use for it, but I said I doubt we'll see anything come from it for a long time, if at all.

If they wanna make space ships and have that be fuel, cool, I'm all for it. But I didn't say "this doesn't mean anything it won't get any use or anything". I said that I think it will be a while (after we're all dead and hundreds of years from now) before we can use it. We might get some info out of it, but not for a long time will we be able to make full use of it.