"The disc could not be read" weird problem (need help)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by AlucardPR, Nov 6, 2008.

1. AlucardPR
    OP

Newcomer AlucardPR Newbie

United States
    Hello people, my problem is the following:

I installed the homebrew channel and the backup loader channel on my NTSC Wii console (got it on launch day so the console is first generation) I tested it with Wii Music and it worked like a charm. I got hyped and started downloading Disaster Day of crisis (PAL), got it, burned it and when I go to play it, the Backup loader accepts it and it boots but then a black screen with the message "The disc could not be read, for more information check your user manual" At first I thought it was a bad burn but I tried the same disc on another Wii console, (I modified a friend's wii too) and there the game worked!! after that we tried Chocobo Dungeon (US) and Monopoly (PAL) on my console and they gave the same error as Disaster day of crisis.

Then I knew that something is wrong with my Wii but what? Later on I found that I had 3.3U official firmware and that could be screwing things up. I downgraded to 3.2U and tried again.The games still doesn't play. So if its not the burn or the firmware then what could it be?? Why Wii Music runs perfectly while those other games I tried are not accepted by my console?? Is it the disc media? version of the backup loader (0.3 to be exact), or even my console version? I'm really frustrated any help will be vastly appreciated since I posted this on other forums and I have been ignored.

2. mxk1000

Member mxk1000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Are you having a Girraffe?

3. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States

Hey there, run the game again, But Force PAL settings, Since it is a PAL game running on an NTSC Wii. That should allow the game to run, Also what brand DVD's are you using, Verbatim is the (most expensive) but the best.

4. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    Tried Maxell and Memorex DVDr. Also what is a Girraffe? (Other than the animal LOL)

5. DM357

Newcomer DM357 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Did you install the CIOS that came with the loader?

I had that error until I re installed it.

6. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    I already tried putting force PAL and it didn't work. I will try again reinstalling the CIOS. I tried yesterday but for some reason was making random errors while downloading guess my router was been queer yesterday, lets see how it works today.

7. agn015

Newcomer agn015 Member

United States
    Since he's on an NTSC wii shouldn't he Force NTSC instead of PAL? I'm new to this too but I downloaded a game that ran in B/W and knew this was because it was in PAL format so I Forced NTSC and the colors came back.

8. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    Reinstalled CIOS (apparently installing it again overwrite the previous install) and the problem still remains. Is like the console doesn't want to read the disc for some mysterious reason...but Wii music keeps working...

BTW First thing I tried was forcing NTCS because it was the obvious thing to do and it didn't work. It cannot be the loader or the CIOS because I installed the same ones on my friend's console and all games work without problems. Maybe it is something related to the version of the console because he bought his wii this year while mine comes all the way back from launch day.

9. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    Tried installing CIOS_Fix.wad to see if this fix the issue but it gives an error when trying yo install. This is how it looks:

Mounting SD card ... OK!
    Opening directory "wad" ...OK!
    Opening "CIOS_FIX.WAD" ... OK!
    Installing WAD...
    -Installing ticket () ... OK!
    -Installing title () ... Error! (ret * -1035)

ERROR: Could not install WAD! (ret * -1035)

10. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    I think I screwed it...I installed the fix now the loader gives an error I can't even read because there are two sentences overlaping each other...

11. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland

what version Wii have u got ?

12. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    How can I know that?

BTW: I fixed the CIOS Fix issue by reinstalling the CIOS again, But still it doesn't read Disaster day of crisis or the others I mentioned.

13. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    Ok I found it Wii Version RVL-001

14. AlucardPR
    OP

United States
    Update: All is fixed now, games were burned again are working like clockwork. The problem was with the type of DVDR I was using. DVD+R wont work at all on old version Wii consoles (like mine). To everybody else that has this problem, stick with DVD-R if your Wii is version RVL-001.

Thanks everyone for trying to help, I appreciate it [​IMG]

15. hororfreak82

Newcomer hororfreak82 Newbie

United States
    Actually DVD+Rs work fine. I am totally new to this, kind of I have psp modding experience, but after a day or so of researching I finally figured out the problem. You need to change the book type of your dvd+r drive in imgburn to DVD-ROM. The thing that threw me off was that there were only a few manufactures listed for dvd drives. It took me a while to find out that my Memorex drive was actually manufactured by Ricoh. I changed the booking type and I have now burned 3 successful backups on Maxell DVD+R discs

16. NeoRame

Member NeoRame GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    on my Wii (first generaion in germany) disater works only with dvd-r (maxell) and force Pal60...

17. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    bottom line is Verbatim DVD-R at x4 burn speed is the best backup you will ever have , and I rest my case [​IMG]

18. aceofspades

Newcomer aceofspades Newbie

United States
    Thank you so much! You made my day. I was wondering why so many games were crapping out on me...I just burned it again and I didn't get that error. Thanks so much!