Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

blutarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've literally been the perfect person to try and help lol I'm sorry we dont seem to be getting anywhere.

As far as I'm aware, the emulators don't support ustealth. If you have a big SD card, store your Roms there. I have had the entire NES, Genesis, GBA, SNES, and TGfx-16 romsets on an 8GB Card for a friend on top of all the vWii stuff.
Alright then, might need to grab a bigger SD.

Thanks again for your help, this guide was perfect and you're very responsive.

n00dz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then, it's because you didn't install the USBLoaderGX forwarder, which is required for the "return to the loader" to work.

if you don't want to install that channel, you can try to change the "return to" option to another channel (for example HBC channel) in the loader's settings.
I didn't try to set the "return to" to another channel, but it should work with wii games, I don't remember if the forwarder's channel ID is hardcoded or not.
It's probably hardcoded, and the reason it black screens. It tried to load it even if you don't have it.
by looking at the sources, it should return to system menu if there's no channel installed. so maybe it's an issue with vWii only. I can try it, I don't have any custom channel installed, only HBC.

It is returning to the channel, I have it installed. When it returns to USB Loader GX it gets stuck on "Initializing USB Device" or "Initialzing HDD", something along those lines. Then in USB Loader GX it says can't find HDD, so it just shows the system Channels in USB Loader Gx and if I try to open any they freeze on the launch screens.

You've literally been the perfect person to try and help lol I'm sorry we dont seem to be getting anywhere.

Ha, thanks. I've been in contact with quite a few people, and I'm starting to get "reformat Wii U" or "restore my nand". Which I might end up trying. I don't know what else to do.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@TSSableye:
I thank for the critique. I do think I'm more than just a little too wordy at points. Honestly I think I overexplain a few parts to the point of unnecessary complication. This is by no means finished, but it is ready to be "released" I think. Funny enough, the link you provided is the same guide I used to hack my vWii. It is also why I wanted to make this post. As great a help as it was, I didn't feel anything in there was particularly straight-forward. Maybe it was at one time, but when I used it, I had to reference at least several other posts which were either linked or completely not mentioned in that post.

@shaneod:
If you have the files for it, I would LOVE if you could IM them to me! I will upload to my Google Drive and include them here. I am really wanting to get my hands on the Korean smash stack files, since it is the only game capable of hacking Korean vWii.

@markehmus: Never used them, and I didn't feel it would be a quality thing to do, to write about something I've never used, as though I was some sort of experienced person with it. If you could point me in the direction of what it is, its purposes, and a guide for it, I will gladly do it on my own vWii, and once I have the experience under my belt, write a full section for it.

@MattKimura: Thanks! :D That is quite an honor indeed, I always thought that guide was very well put together.

@fiveighteen: Again, many thanks! I have actually seen your posts around here, including the guide in your signature. I'm very happy you like the way this guide is laid out!

@eddiejo6: Yes, I'm pretty positive that the partitions on that USB Hard Drive are not set up correctly. You are probably using two partitions on your USB Drive, or you are inadvertently using GPT partitioning tables as apposed to.. the other one, I forget. MBR I think. My advice is to:
  • plug your USB drive into your computer
  • open command prompt (on Windows 7 and below, use search after opening start menu and type cmd.exe and hit enter, on 8/8.1, basically same -- search using charms, Windows 10, basically same -- search using Cortana)
  • type diskpart
  • At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert to MBR, and also note if it has a star under the GPT column if running Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. If the star is present, then you can rest assured the following steps will solve your issue.
  • At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>, where <disknumber> is one of the disks above.
  • At the DISKPART prompt, type clean. THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE DRIVE!!
  • At the DISKPART prompt, type convert mbr.

You can be proud of this guide, I only wanted to be able to boot my huge collection of GameCube and Wii games on Wii U using an HDD and you have helped me and a lot of people, for sure. Why would you have to make the guide shorter for the sake of it, and why would anybody read and complain about this guide being redundant if they already know what they are doing? This guide is not for them, if you ask me. And what's wrong with being able to help newbies? What's wrong with us? :O Even though it is a soft-mod it is really tricky if you don't know exactly what you are doing, most probably you won't brick your Wii U but it won't do what you want it to do, which is what happened to me until I found this. To be more specific, not all the homebrew "apps" work fine on Wii U, at least on mine, but everything here has worked fine so far (I still have to finish ripping discs). Another important thing, many links out there (not here) open evil websites with aggressive ads and browser addons. Thus, I only joined to say thank you. :)

EDIT: One of the main benefits for me is to be able to play GameCube games with better visual quality than on Wii.

Last edited by Waveracer,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Waveracer : thank you for your message :)
That's the kind of message which allows us to tell we don't write guide for nothing, it's worth spending time writing a long and detailed guide. At least some users found it useful.
I'm sure CJB100 will be happy.

As far as I'm aware, the emulators don't support ustealth
OriginalHamster just recompiled few emulators with UStealth support.
Snesgx, fceux, etc. look in the ustealth thread, last post, it's in his signature. I added the links to the ustealth's first posts just in case his signature changes, and also for users without an account (signature are not displayed at all if not logged in).

It is returning to the channel, I have it installed
ah, you are right, you said it reloaded but couldn't init the drive, sorry I mixed everything because you said it froze when exiting nintendont too :P
So, it freeze without hdd connected, but loads if it's connected but can't init the drive? maybe I should re-read all your posts.
When you said that you tried nintendont directly, you meant launched directly from HBC without using USBLoaderGX?
if it freeze when exiting nintendont, even when launched from HBC, it's maybe an issue with nintendont. Did you try an older version ?

and I'm starting to get "reformat Wii U" or "restore my nand".
I wouldn't recommend that. To me the issue is not the console, but either hardware (sd or usb) or homebrew related.
Before formatting or restoring the nand (which is not possible), be sure the issue is the console before doing anything to it. (try another console with the same setup, etc.)

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the kind of message which allows us to tell we don't write guide for nothing, it's worth spending time writing a long and detailed guide. At least some users found it useful.

Snesgx, fceux, etc. look in the ustealth thread, last post, it's in his signature. I added the links to the ustealth's first posts just in case his signature changes, and also for users without an account (signature are not displayed at all if not logged in).

ah, you are right, you said it reloaded but couldn't init the drive, sorry I mixed everything because you said it froze when exiting nintendont too :P
So, it freeze without hdd connected, but loads if it's connected but can't init the drive? maybe I should re-read all your posts.
When you said that you tried nintendont directly, you meant launched directly from HBC without using USBLoaderGX?
if it freeze when exiting nintendont, even when launched from HBC, it's maybe an issue with nintendont. Did you try an older version ?

I wouldn't recommend that. To me the issue is not the console, but either hardware (sd or usb) or homebrew related.
Before formatting or restoring the nand (which is not possible), be sure the issue is the console before doing anything to it. (try another console with the same setup, etc.)

I will get links updated to those emulators that support UStealth and add a line on whether or not the emulators in the guide support it or not. Out of curiosity, I know FIX added Wii U Pro Controller support to the GX line of emulators, but do these recompilations you mentioned have that support as well?

Last edited by CJB100,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No idea at all, you'll have to either test or ask Original Hamster which revision he recompiled.
(I didn't check, but the sources NEED to be included if he release binaries of recompiled homebrew)

PS: your post above contained duplicate of an old post of yours, the first two quotes and answers were old.
I fixed it for you.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cyan: No worries. It's funny how some experts talk like everyone should understand them and still criticise people that try to be friendlier and clear. I'm still ripping discs but I tried Animal Crossing NGC and it worked fine. I even ordered a NGC controller adapter, I hope it works on Nintendont!

What is better with Wii games that are bigger than 4GB, to install them as wbfs using USB Loader GX (it only gives you that option) or use ClearRip or similar to get an uncompressed iso file? And what should I do with the multiple iso files? Rename or what? Will they work fine? I would prefer to have uncompressed games because I got a 2TB HDD just for this. Thanks.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea at all, you'll have to either test or ask Original Hamster which revision he recompiled.
(I didn't check, but the sources NEED to be included if he release binaries of recompiled homebrew)

PS: your post contains duplicate of an old post of yours, the first two quotes and answers are old.

Fixed, thanks lol. Idk how that happened. Must have saved a draft.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Cyan: No worries. It's funny how some experts talk like everyone should understand them and still criticise people that try to be more friendly and clear. I'm still ripping discs but I tried Animal Crossing NGC and it worked fine. I even ordered a NGC controller adapter, I hope it works on Nintendont!

What is better with Wii games that are bigger than 4GB, to install them as wbfs using USB Loader GX (it only gives you that option) or use ClearRip or similar to get an uncompressed iso file? And what should I do with the multiple iso files? Rename or what? Will they work fine? I would prefer to have uncompressed games because I got a 2TB HDD just for this. Thanks.

You should be able to transfer them with the tool listed in the last section of the USB Loader GX part of the guide. Idr but I think you have to transfer as wbfs for it to break the file apart properly. Maybe not though. The simplest way is to rip from the Wii U drive. No real reason to have an ISO, except for maybe professional archiving purposes. It won't perform better.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I even ordered a NGC controller adapter, I hope it works on Nintendont!
yes, it works with nintendont.

About wii games, it's better to use the wbfs file format, as it also compress the game's filesize.
if you use cleanrip, all your ISO will be 4.7GB (and won't fit on FAT32 partition).
it's best to choose FAT32 (for gamecube and other homebrew compatibility) and use the wbfs file format, which will split the game in two parts if it's bigger than 4GB.

But if you really want to keep clean, 1:1 (unedited), uncompressed ISO, then use NTFS or Ext partition format, and keep the .iso file format.

There's no multiple ISO file on Wii (unless you talk about the split wbfs files).
if you worry about the wbfs files in multiple parts, don't rename them manually, use Wii Backup Manager to get the proper folder and file name.

If you talk about gamecube games with multiple discs, you need to place the 2 ISO in the same folder, one named "game.iso" and the second disc named "disc2.iso".

No real reason to have an ISO, except for maybe professional archiving purposes.
For archiving purpose, there are other compressed lossless format developed by Wiimm.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, it works with nintendont.

About wii games, it's better to use the wbfs file format, as it also compress the game's filesize.
if you use cleanrip, all your ISO will be 4.7GB (and won't fit on FAT32 partition).
it's best to choose FAT32 (for gamecube and other homebrew compatibility) and use the wbfs file format, which will split the game in two parts if it's bigger than 4GB.

But if you really want to keep clean, 1:1 (unedited), uncompressed ISO, then use NTFS or Ext partition format, and keep the .iso file format.

There's no multiple ISO file on Wii (unless you talk about the split wbfs files).
if you worry about the wbfs files in multiple parts, don't rename them manually, use Wii Backup Manager to get the proper folder and file name.

If you talk about gamecube games with multiple discs, you need to place the 2 ISO in the same folder, one named "game.iso" and the second disc named "disc2.iso".

For archiving purpose, there are other compressed lossless format developed by Wiimm.
I chose FAT32 because I read that NTFS had compatibility issues. So isn't there a way for USB Loader GX to read iso files bigger than 4GB? Like putting them together and renaming them or something?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose FAT32 because I read that NTFS had compatibility issues. So isn't there a way for USB Loader GX to read iso files bigger than 4GB? Like putting them together and renaming them or something?

Read my latest post above. I think Cyan also mentioned the solution. For FAT32 wbfs files larger than 4GB, you will want to use Wii Backup Manager, referenced in the last section of the USB Loader GX part of the guide. If you rip the ISO directly from your Wii U disc drive using USB Loader GX, though, it will do those steps automatically for you.

Reactions: Waveracer

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fixed, thanks lol. Idk how that happened. Must have saved a draft.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You should be able to transfer them with the tool listed in the last section of the USB Loader GX part of the guide. Idr but I think you have to transfer as wbfs for it to break the file apart properly. Maybe not though. The simplest way is to rip from the Wii U drive. No real reason to have an ISO, except for maybe professional archiving purposes. It won't perform better.

OK, at least performance will be exactly the same. Because I'm already using Cleanrip since I got errors trying to use USB Loader GX for ripping GameCube discs, I will see how this works with Wii games that I have already ripped. I will have to find an alternative for Wii games bigger than 4GB, though, if USB Loader GX is not able to read two iso files for one game. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ISO is only 4.7GB, you can't split it and make it work with loaders.
If you use FAT32, you need the wbfs file format. Don't worry about it, really. That's fine to use, and you will (almost) never need the full ISO again.
The only time you would need the full ISO is in case of :
- If you want to extract a file with WiiScrubber
- Translation patch to apply to the full ISO
- Wiimmfi patcher (but can be done on the fly at game launch too, only mario kart might need the full iso to patch manually)

I will have to find an alternative for Wii games bigger than 4GB
ALL the games will be bigger than 4GB if you keep the ISO file.
But games bigger than 4GB are not a problem when using the wbfs format, as it will be split and USBLoaderGX can read split wbfs files without problem.

Reactions: Waveracer

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, at least performance will be exactly the same. Because I'm already using Cleanrip since I got errors trying to use USB Loader GX for ripping GameCube discs, I will see how this works with Wii games that I have already ripped. I will have to find an alternative for Wii games bigger than 4GB, though, if USB Loader GX is not able to read two iso files for one game. :(

I don't think you are understanding. If you have an ISO, or a wbfs file of more than 4GB, you can use Wii Backup Manager as I instructed in the guide to simultaneously convert the file to wbfs and send it in two parts to your USB HDD. Also, Wii U drive doesn't support GameCube discs. USB Loader GX handles them fine.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Read my latest post above. I think Cyan also mentioned the solution. For FAT32 wbfs files larger than 4GB, you will want to use Wii Backup Manager, referenced in the last section of the USB Loader GX part of the guide. If you rip the ISO directly from your Wii U disc drive using USB Loader GX, though, it will do those steps automatically for you.

So, instead of using USB Loader GX for ripping the same Wii games again in wbfs, I can just make wbfs from the iso files that I already got following that section of the guide.

EDIT: Thank you two for clarifying that. I did not know that iso files were always the maximum capacity of the disc (4.7GB). I thought

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, I am using Wii to rip the GameCube discs.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, instead of using USB Loader GX for ripping the same Wii games again in wbfs, I can just make wbfs from the iso files that I already got following that section of the guide.

Yup, correct. Idr if it literally converts them or not. I think it compresses the ISO to wbfs and then copies it to the drive. So you'll still have a copy on your computer's hard drive... I think. This will only work for Wii games.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, correct. Idr if it literally converts them or not. I think it compresses the ISO to wbfs and then copies it to the drive. So you'll still have a copy on your computer's hard drive... I think. This will only work for Wii games.
I was wondering exactly that, if I could keep the iso files after using Wii Backup Manager (they are in the HDD, not in my computer's hard drive which has little free space left).
ISO is only 4.7GB, you can't split it and make it work with loaders.
If you use FAT32, you need the wbfs file format. Don't worry about it, really. That's fine to use, and you will (almost) never need the full ISO again.
The only time you would need the full ISO is in case of :
- If you want to extract a file with WiiScrubber
- Translation patch to apply to the full ISO
- Wiimmfi patcher (but can be done on the fly at game launch too, only mario kart might need the full iso to patch manually)

ALL the games will be bigger than 4GB if you keep the ISO file.
But games bigger than 4GB are not a problem when using the wbfs format, as it will be split and USBLoaderGX can read split wbfs files without problem.
So could I apply the Zero 4 translation patch to the Zero4 iso?

EDIT:
This is the part of the guide that made me talk about "bigger than 4GB":

"For Wii games of larger than 4GB in size, you may find that you have issues simply dragging or copying the game from your computer to your FAT32 hard drive. This is because FAT32, while being highly reliable and versatile, only supports files up to 4GB in size".

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering exactly that, if I could keep the iso files after using Wii Backup Manager (they are in the HDD, not in my computer's hard drive which has little free space left).

So could I apply the Zero 4 translation patch to the Zero4 iso?

EDIT:

"For Wii games of larger than 4GB in size, you may find that you have issues simply dragging or copying the game from your computer to your FAT32 hard drive. This is because FAT32, while being highly reliable and versatile, only supports files up to 4GB in size".

If you are super concerned about keeping your ISO file (honestly, you really shouldn't be) my suggestion would be to make a copy of the .ISO in question so that you aren't experimenting on your real ISO collection, convert it with Wii Backup Manager, and see if it leaves your copied ISO behind or not. If it does, just do the same process on any ISO's from your collection that you need to. If it doesn't, repeat the act of making a copy of your ISO file first, then follow the process.

It is returning to the channel, I have it installed. When it returns to USB Loader GX it gets stuck on "Initializing USB Device" or "Initialzing HDD", something along those lines. Then in USB Loader GX it says can't find HDD, so it just shows the system Channels in USB Loader Gx and if I try to open any they freeze on the launch screens.

Ha, thanks. I've been in contact with quite a few people, and I'm starting to get "reformat Wii U" or "restore my nand". Which I might end up trying. I don't know what else to do.

Someone recently had a similar type of issue that wasfixed by using a new SD card. Might be worth a go if you have some money to waste. They're dirt cheapnowadays.

jericho129

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wii Backup Manager converts your .iso into .wbfs. You can select the directory it creates the .wbfs in, and it will not delete your original .iso.

EDIT:

EDIT: Thank you two for clarifying that. I did not know that iso files were always the maximum capacity of the disc (4.7GB). I though

Just to clarify some of the above posts - .iso files can be larger than 4GB.

However, if you are using a FAT32 format on your storage device, the maximum size for any file is 4GB.

Using WiiBackupManager takes care of all of this by converting your .iso (any size) into .wbfs. If your original .iso was 7GB, WiiBackupManager will convert and split it into 4GB .wbfs and 3GB .wbfs files, placing them within the same game folder. USBLoaderGX reads this game folder and all .wbfs files within it.

n00dz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ha, it's okay! It freezes even when I launch just Nintendont through HBC, not using USB loader at all. I tried someone elses custom build based on an older version, and the freezing still happened. I don't have access to another Wii U currently, but I might go buy another to test this stuff out.

If you are super concerned about keeping your ISO file (honestly, you really shouldn't be) my suggestion would be to make a copy of the .ISO in question so that you aren't experimenting on your real ISO collection, convert it with Wii Backup Manager, and see if it leaves your copied ISO behind or not. If it does, just do the same process on any ISO's from your collection that you need to. If it doesn't, repeat the act of making a copy of your ISO file first, then follow the process.

Someone recently had a similar type of issue that wasfixed by using a new SD card. Might be worth a go if you have some money to waste. They're dirt cheapnowadays.

I've tested 2 SD cards, I have a few more though. I can try a few others tomorrow to see if that helps. I wonder if my HDD is causing some issues as well. Maybe I'll pick up an externally powered HDD. Man, this project is starting to get expensive ;P.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a