Tutorial  Updated

The Definitive Guide to prevent YLOD

PS3_fat-625x352.jpg

The Sony PlayStation 3 was a truly marvelous piece of technology. From the innovations that were brought forth from introducing Blu-Ray as a standard, to the CELL Processor, to the massive catalog of games you could play with the first models having backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 Games, it's a machine that even today is still recognized as one of the most powerful consoles of all time. Unfortunately the PS3 (Mainly the early Fat Models) suffers from overheating issues. This guide is going to show you exactly how you can keep your original FAT Model PS3 alive for a very long time. Please note this guide will still work regardless of what model you have however it's primarily aimed at the 60GB Hardware Based BC PS3. Either one of these solutions will aid you in keeping your PS3 System alive for a long time and for the best results I highly recommend doing both. Now, Lets get started.

PART ONE - Hardware Solution

When Sony shipped the original 60GB and 20GB PS3 they used very cheap thermal paste. As a result this has turned many PS3's into a ticking time bomb. If you wish to keep your PS3 operating for the long run, you need to replace the thermal paste inside of the console. For this I recommend picking up Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, a microfiber cloth, and cleaning alcohol. Once you have all of the necessary supplies you are ready to begin. Below I have linked videos that show the entire process in detail.

Watch this first - Console Disassembly

Watch this last - Applying New Thermal Paste

PART TWO - Software Solution

The Second thing you will need to do is to adjust the fan speed on your PS3 Console. For some odd reason the stock fan settings on the older PS3's are for lack of a better word complete garbage. The reason most PS3's overheat is a combination between thermal paste drying up and improper cooling causing the RSX and or CELL to literally cook themselves. The first thing you will need to do in order to improve your cooling via fan speed is you need to install custom firmware on your PlayStation 3. I understand this isn't something that everyone will or wants to do and even if all you do is just apply new thermal paste you're still extending the life of your system for quite some time. However if you want to keep your PS3 running well into the distant future and beyond then I highly recommend applying this method in combination with replacing the old thermal paste. Below I have linked two videos. One which shows how easy it is to get custom firmware installed on to your PS3, the second shows you how you can improve the cooling in your PS3 via adjusting the fan speed for optimal performance and cooling.

Watch this first - Installing CFW

Watch this last - Configuring your Fan Settings via Webman

Personally I recommend setting the fan to Auto at 55° C in webman. Make sure that the setting "Enable dynamic fan control" is checked with a green check mark. Once done just save and reboot. If you've done all of that then congratulations you now have a PS3 that will last you for many years to come. Contrary to popular belief you can own an original model PS3 and not have to worry about YLOD. You just need to take proper precautions to ensure overheating doesn't happen. I hope this guide has helped you. May you enjoy your PS3 for many years to come. :yayps3:

Update:

It has come to my attention from multiple members of the community that the "NEC" Capacitors are also very much to blame for YLOD issues. If you're a complete beginner I DO NOT recommend attempting this part yourself as it is requires some intermediate to advanced level of technical skill. If you're interested in learning more, I have a link below for an excellent tutorial that was written on the matter.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-nec-tokin-capacitors-replacement-ylod-fix.25260/

Props to the following peeps,
@zfreeman
@Dark Ronin
@CORE

Last edited by wiired24,

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean that the fan is loud from spinning very fast, or is there an issue with it like it is squeaky? The Slim PS3s from my experience have been very quiet. Perhaps it is filled with dust?

Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes. After not using PS3 for years I find it now loud in general. When the fan is spinning fast it gets even much louder.

So I'll first try to clean the fan. I don't know if there is a method or some 3rd party fans that are quieter than original ones. Thanks.

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Part 1 Mine still works so not the thermal paste(though rather loudly)
Part 2 see part 1
point of view if these consoles are still working in 2020 do we need this advice

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It can happen to Slims but not as bad so a Thermal Paste replacement and Fan modification can prevent it as far as I am aware not sure about Super Slims.

They do produce less heat but if the CPU is anything like earlier models then it is ticking time bomb and just a matter of when.

omarq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Yes. After not using PS3 for years I find it now loud in general. When the fan is spinning fast it gets even much louder.

So I'll first try to clean the fan. I don't know if there is a method or some 3rd party fans that are quieter than original ones. Thanks.

try to buy 19 blade fan and put cooper on the rsx and cpu like that video

Turdmuffin1016

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a ps3, I turned it on and over the period of like 5 min the fan goes full blast. I replaced the thermal paste but it didn't help anything. Any help to fix this would be great. Thx!

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I just bought a ps3, I turned it on and over the period of like 5 min the fan goes full blast. I replaced the thermal paste but it didn't help anything. Any help to fix this would be great. Thx!
I don't think this is the exact place to ask, but depends on the model. A fat PS3 tends to be a lot louder no matter what. Does it have webman or something like that installed? that one usually makes fans go about 90%, which is really loud. If not, I'd install it and set it so it doesn't go over 65ºC/149F or so under load.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs