Hacking Discussion The classic update debate

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know I'm a person that absolutely loves hacking out their consoles to get the most out of them. I loved the 3DS scene and using freeshop to get everything I wanted. I also love being able to emulate old consoles on my handhelds and have a jukebox of classic games on it, but I believe it's gotten to the point where we have such an abundance of devices and the annoyance level of hacking now is at an all time high with Nintendo beefing up security that it's just not worth it anymore.

Quite honestly what is the absolute most you'll ever get to do with your Switch if hacked? A)Emulators, B)Pirate games, and C)Surf the net, etc.

For point A you have a PLETHORA of older devices that are cheaper and can be hacked. PSP, PSV, DS, 3DS, and the list goes on

For point B, sure it would be great to try every game, but how much money are you really saving when the average game takes forever to beat. I have such a long log to still go through. Most indie games are like $15, and for the rest just wait til they're on sale. NES games are a moot point with everything else.

For point C you have your smartphone and if you reallllllllly wanted a portable device to surf the net you can always buy a cheap tablet. Amazon sells them cheap and they'll do a better job than a Switch. You'd be able to install Kodi, Netflix, etc on a tablet. On a Switch who knows if that would break anything.

So in conclusion I say update and enjoy your console. You're not missing a ton in hindsight otherwise.
for point a it actually depends on the devices you have available. the switch is the most powerful and moddable device I can have on my tv and I can take it on the go. functionally it is a better emulation machine

pworld

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
)Emulators, B)Pirate games, and C)Surf the net, etc
You forgot save hacking and game modding, in particular allowing people to get Event Pokemon without participating in the Events (which might be local) and having a more challenging/whatever experience. For obvious reasons, there is no replacement for that.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot save hacking and game modding, in particular allowing people to get Event Pokemon without participating in the Events (which might be local) and having a more challenging/whatever experience. For obvious reasons, there is no replacement for that.
smash bros mods are usually pretty nice

philo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
this is why I may or may not have spent a silly amount of money on getting a few "spares"...

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for point a it actually depends on the devices you have available. the switch is the most powerful and moddable device I can have on my tv and I can take it on the go. functionally it is a better emulation machine

At the very worst when the time comes in the future where those mods and functions exist then it'll always be possible to go on ebay and find a spare unit. At this point in time though I feel as though Switch hacking is still somewhat in its infancy. It's there, it exists, it's functional as well, but not to the level of ease and integration as 3DS

pworld

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
At the very worst when the time comes in the future where those mods and functions exist then it'll always be possible to go on ebay and find a spare unit. At this point in time though I feel as though Switch hacking is still somewhat in its infancy. It's there, it exists, it's functional as well, but not to the level of ease and integration as 3DS
While homebrew will likely become much better, there is next to no chance for a better exploit. Yes, in the end 3ds had nice exploits, but for a long time it had nothing or only very limited things (limited to a certain firmware etc.). The switch security is even better, and the switch is more restricted, so we had extreme luck with the nvidia fuckup.

Also, used hackable consoles might get more expensive in the future, especially when they are not banned.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, I don't know about you but some of us don't have the money to cough up for a second switch just for homebrew, that's just fucking insane. I would rather game with touchscreen controls then do that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.